Thread: JVC X'eye Problem

Cham Cham's Banana

JVC X'eye Problem

So my JVC X'eye will no longer play cd games. Every time I put a disc in, it will only go to the cd player. It will play the music tracks but I can't get it to load a game. It plays cartridges fine.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.

Neo*Geomancer

Quote Originally Posted by fantat View Post
    So my JVC X'eye will no longer play cd games. Every time I put a disc in, it will only go to the cd player. It will play the music tracks but I can't get it to load a game. It plays cartridges fine.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks in advance.
    Does the laser assembly move and try to read the disc? Try cleaning the laser and lube the motor. You may need a new assembly though. It's pretty straight-forward to replace. You can find a generic one on eBay.

Lazy SNK Employee

I would just replace the laser assembly honestly. With the age of these machines the lasers are just getting old. I just changed the laser in a friends PC Engine Duo and now it's working great. Prior to the change it was loud and not loading certain games.

CPS2 Person.

Fixed a friend X'eye with same fault by adjusting the pots

Throne of Games

Quote Originally Posted by darksoft View Post
    Don't hide it, you are angry beacuse if a multiboot is made, you will not be the only one that can Play Progear

Creator of the Master List
    Listen to wyo. He fixed my Xeye exhibiting the exact same problem - I had to order a replacement laser but now it works great. Thanks again wyo.

Cham Cham's Banana

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

If I want to replace the laser assembly does the process involve any soldering?

Neo*Geomancer

Quote Originally Posted by fantat View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their replies.

If I want to replace the laser assembly does the process involve any soldering?
    IIRC I had to desolder a solder bridge between 2 pads on the replacement assembly or something like that. YMMV depending on the specific replacement model used.

Ukyo's Doctor

Yea the lasers tend to have a solder blob for transit, just remove it. The laser is easy, Google for guides. gL
    Looking for UK copies of Dive Alert Becky's Version, Puzzle Link 1 and 2, Gals Fighters, and Pocket Reversi.
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=41108&dateline=145772  3980

Crazed MVS Addict

Might be worth trying to clean with a qtip dabbed in isopropyl alochol. The Sega CD is one of the more sensitive disc based game systems, sometimes even a dust speck can get in the way of it properly loading games.

Thread Information