Beats of Rage, NeoGeo port.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
This looks fun, not sure if it has already been posted. Something from HPMAN, an open source port running on NeoGeo.

Below are the neogeo wip progress

Last edited:

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
I love a scrolling beat 'em up, and there's potential there, but it's not really oozing playability at the moment.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Whoa, this is huge news... there are tons of great beat 'em ups recreated in BOR.

If the engine gets correctly ported, we could have lots of classics running on our Neos, including all Capcom's CPS1 hits. :)

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If this gets the conversion it deserves this will be great. Hopefully work progresses on this even if it's slow.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's really cool that this is coming to the Neo. Is it worth making a repro cart? I think not, since this game has already been available as a fan project on so many other systems. There will be many fan projects and somewhere I have to draw the line.

That's why it's great that the NeoSD exists now. Hopefully we'll see lots more projects like this, and we'll be able to play them on real hardware without destroying carts. I need to get a NeoSD sooner or later.

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
Fantastic news, there's some pretty good mods for the Dreamcast version.... be interesting to see where this goes with a Neo Geo based revival.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Would be awesome to play it in a cab! I'm down for an MVS cart if it's not crazy money.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
This is all too new still, but I'm really hopeful that NeoSD will ignite a new wave of homebrew projects on the Neo. Belt-scrolling beat 'em ups are welcome anytime. :)

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Holy sex. This look awesome.

Minor quibbles:
  • The female death/defeat scream is horrific on my ear bone.
  • Bummer that they used the strike noises from Bare Knuckle 3, instead of BK2. BK3 always sounds like a slap fight to me.

Other than that, I love it. I've always thought the Neo was lacking in the beat'em column. While I enjoy the Sengokus, and Mutation Nation looks great, they've never come close to the depth and feel of a Bare Knuckle, or Final Fight.

Being able to play this on a cabinet would be pretty bichin' cool.

Edit: I quite enjoy the slow bounce on Angel. It touches me in my base nature.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I've always thought the Neo was lacking in the beat'em column. While I enjoy the Sengokus, and Mutation Nation looks great, they've never come close to the depth and feel of a Bare Knuckle, or Final Fight.

I've always been fond of the beat 'em ups. They're different from Capcom in lacking that polish, but they all have a great campy feel to them.

ninja-combat-virtual-console-20080618065736530-2438414_640w.jpg

Fighting near a roller coaster with some big dude in a klansman's hat with the swastika (or Buddhist symbol, who knows). That's great. Even Burning Fight, which tried so hard to be Final Fight but came up short, has some redeeming qualities, like Hulk Hogan crashing through a water fountain and a dicksucking hobo.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I've played BoR and some of the mod paks years ago. Whether it's the ones based on licensed games, or "original" mods, they all lacked polish to some degree. Some of the mods were like bad MUGEN setups (unbalanced characters, inconsistent sprites, questionable hit detection), and the backgrounds are almost always non-interactive backdrops.

I wish the Senile team finished the Age of the Beast project. I recall that had potential as an original beat 'em up.

Pinball

Geese's Thug
Now we have the wonderful NeoSD, presumably we just need a .neo file to play this. Are any such files available for this or other games? ;-)

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
I used to love playing this game on my dreamcast back in the day.