nope

where are you?

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'd be up for it.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Arcade Club might be a good place for a gathering?

cat

I've wanted to visit the arcade club for quite a while now.
It's a bit of a trek for me though, i'm down in south wales.
Could have my arm twisted, but a meet up with the UK lad's would inevitably be an excuse for drinking as well as playing games (for me anyway) so i'd need to sort out a travelodge or similar for a night.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

I went there... it's full of gays...

aka.... kids who know fuck all about anything...

Z'OMG... Tekken is awesome...

WELL... fuck you pimply faced 12 year old...

xROTx

cat

Ahh, i cut my teeth as a pimply 12 year old in the arcades back in the day, would have been late 70's, long time ago now.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Had a look at their game list, no Metal Slug???? At least they have Bubble Bobble......

Pinball

Kula's Candy
I want to visit Arcade Club. Huge location.

Northern Lights is a large pinball & vids meet, but meets at Arcade Club too now! Too far for me to go.

I'm down south in Hampshire, so it would be great if there was something in this neck of the spanner.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I personally really enjoy arcade club, there's a great selection of cabs and consoles including an AES setup and a cheap bar!

It's a good 2hrs from me but I stop in a hotel whenever I go.

We're all going to be scattered across the UK so I guess someone's going to have to travel if they want to go!

Might be worth finding where the majority are located and choose that location assuming there's a suitable venue / house to host it.

StalkS

New Challenger
I'm up for it! I'm in the South but don't mind taking a trip somewhere else.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I'd be up for a meet. Another southerner here, but again, wouldn't mind travelling.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'm in Edinburgh, could be tempted to travel.

Edit - I just noticed arcade club is over 18's only on a Friday after 6pm - that would avoid the kiddies.

Unless I can convince you all (unlikely I know) to come up to Scotland for our first real arcade in decades, opening soon: https://www.facebook.com/konboarcadecafe/ also http://www.scotsman.com/news/arcade-games-cafe-to-open-in-edinburgh-1-4055051

They were due to open last year, but council refused them planning permission at the 11th hour. They now have a new site they are working on, and crucially have planning permission.

Also it might be shit, but I don't think its going to be.

Edinburgh festival has lots on in August, so make it a holiday ;)

Last edited:

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Didn't know about that, nice one, I'll have a wee day out there when it opens.

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
News to me too. I go past it on my way home from work...

GreyFox

n00b
So is there interest in a UK meet?

The reason I ask is a that years ago (around 1998 to 2000) I was involved with a couple of mates with booking and putting on BritMeet which was a retro meet with gaming, trading and more.

Then during the Dreamcast era we ran a couple of smaller, Dreamcast focussed days.

Essentially we hired a local hall (with a kitchen so people could make hot drinks/food) and set up consoles, screens and a projector. People could play various games and we ran a couple of competitions (Soul Calibur tournament if I remember correctly. Everyone chucked in a tenner I think to cover the cost of the hall.

At the start of the year I was chatting to my mate about to be possibility of running another Dreamcast event. However if there is enough interest I would happily help organise a Neo Geo meet.

What would people want from this?
Consoles and CRT's set up to let people play games (single player and head to head etc)
Competitions/Tournaments?
Trading?
Just a chance to get together and chat Neo Geo?

Happy to organise something and put some money in upfront to hire the hall etc Just depends what people want. I would also need some help with hardware/games as I can provide about three CRT's (a PVM and a couple of 14 inch portables) and a Neo console and a consolized MVS. Not sure that would be sufficient? Would need a way of making sure people knew what was theirs if they bring stuff along. If a couple of screens and a projector is enough then that is all good although I only have a limited collection of games (mainly common stuff) although I could also bring a couple of Dreamcast consoles and LCD screens so Neo ports could be played via them?

The event would be based in Milton Keynes (easy access via M1, A5,A421 roads) easy access by train from London (35 minutes from Euston) and Birmingham (about 45 minutes). The hall I am thinking of has a decent amount of room, parking facilities, a kitchen for drinks/food, toilets and is located near shops/pub/petrol station etc. Would likely be a Saturday in October/November

If there is interest in an event I can make enquiries as to cost of hiring the hall and report back

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Yohanov

n00b
If there is interest in an event I can make enquiries as to cost of hiring the hall and report back

Thoughts?

If you can't do the Neo event, are you still planning to do the DC event? I'd consider coming from France.

Last edited:

GreyFox

n00b
Yup could potentially just do a DC event. Or combine it with Neo I guess?

I will have a chat with my mate this week and see if he is still up for it and think about some dates etc

GreyFox

n00b
Just as a quick question - what would people like to see at such an event (whether it be DC or Neo Geo focussed)?

Chance to just chill with other gamers?

Chance to play the systems and the games?

Chance to enter tournaments and win a token prize?

Chance to play/experience the rare titles and peripherals?

Chance to buy/sell/trade games/systems?

Chance to see home brew/prototypes and the like?

Chance to enter a raffle to win a game (or similar prize)

All of the above?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Just as a quick question - what would people like to see at such an event (whether it be DC or Neo Geo focussed)?

Chance to just chill with other gamers?

THIS...

That is the ONLY reason people come to UK meets...

xROTx

PS. I have held more than a few... no one wants to play games... just chat shit and drink...

EDIT. Works for me...

Yohanov

n00b
To me it would be the first four entries of your list.

But i'd be disapointed if most people just chatted and never played lol should be 50/50. That's why having a few tournaments is good.

Last edited:

Wolff

n00b
Hi, I'm new so hopefully I'm still allowed to pipe up?
I'd be up for meeting people to chat etc. I'm in Reading but don't mind a bit of travelling. Is there such a thing as local clubs?
I'm imagining like a Berkshire Chapter or something.
I'd just like to get a bit involved after years of being out of gaming.
I'm now building bits and pieces and would like to be part of something.

Ben Wolff

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
im near reading in slough but i dont like travelling