[Neo Geo] Double Dragon

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This game has to have the craziest engine out of all of the Neo fighting games (especially for being released in 1995).

I haven't been able to specifically identify the universal standards/rules as far as what combos outside of basic links, but jeez.

A double jump (which can be buffered from a dash)

Links that can combo into chains.

Dash moves that combo off of links and chains.

The absurd juggles!

It's a lot to take in! I get why the game get's a bad rap (looks dated for 1995, doesn't meet aesthetic and thematic expectations for those looking for a Double Dragon "feeling" maybe).

Lastly, the presence of a lot of the crazy stuff in the engine isn't obvious. The off and on time I've spent with it throughout years, I've never really been able to do anything more than basic strings and two in one combos.

I've always defended the game as decent anytime I'd hear it get trashed, but I never knew how crazy it was. I mean...the game seems incredibly broken..so decent isn't a fitting term. I don't think 95% of peoples distaste for the game comes from a broken engine though.

Some of these combos appear so over the top that I'm suspicious of tool assists here

[video=youtube;f0bsWpjPKpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=f0bsWpjPKpI[/video]

I'm very much a DD noob. Does anybody on the forum have a strong knowledge base?

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya it's actually a really fun fighter. Lots of the characters are viable also and have broken shit.

I think most of the distaste people have with it, is no one knows who the characters are because it's based off the live action movie rather than the series they grew up with.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You're 100% correct - not a lot of people gave this game a chance because of the movie.

Dalton has a crazy massive fireball that takes off a tone of damage if you can pull it off, but the start time for it is 2 or 3 seconds.

This is one of my favorite Neo fighters - everything about his game screams class.

It's a game akin to a SamSho, because 1 or 2 moves can turn the tide of a fight in an instant.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Yes. So much truth. This game tends to get a lot of criticism, but it really is a fun game. The game is indeed "busted", but honestly, many fighters from this era were if you pushed the engine mechanics.

This and Gowcaizer were both associated with media projects and both tend to get left out of neo fighter discussions. I know there are much better fighters on the system, but Double Dragon was indeed a blast to play. Of course, Rage of the Dragons would eventually come along and offer a completely different take on the characters and mechanics, but Double Dragon's combat options and transformations still felt like something unique and special.

xorthen

Banned
The AI is cheap as hell in that game. I had no idea you could even do insane broken combos like that in the game.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I love the game though as it has awesome music,characters, and a unorthodox combo system. It also helps it was one of the first neo geo games I got back in late 2009ish.

The game really just needed a second updated version like most fighters of the days to remove stupid shit like infinites and fix dizzy (you get dizzy mad easy).

With that said, I hate the dizzy system and feel super meter builds up too fast at times. Karnov's revenge also has a dizzy problem too. At least in FHD you can only get dizzy once, but its all ogre by then usually due to how it works in that game.

Last edited:

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
Ya, I disagree. The fact that super meter builds up so quickly is what gives it more appeal to me. High damage rounds = faster rounds. It's similar to super turbo in that regard, where matches are very quick, but you can do a lot more within a shorter time period.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
It's one of my most played fighters on the system. I just find it a lot of fun. The music is great, Jackie Chan's character from Drunken Master is in it, and it plays pretty well. It's one I always put in when I want a quick 10 minute play on something.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've touched on D&D for a bit but it's been awhile. I think one of these days I'm going to have and give it another go. Thanks for the Vid Asid.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Ive always wanted to play this game, but im lucky if i can get any of my friends to play the well know neo fighters little less this hidden gem. If any of you guys get setup with fightcade id be glad to fuck around on it with you.

also, this is the combo video i think of when i think of DD. It used to have Digtial Love as the BGM, but was removed due to copyrights

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Always loved this game, but like most of you could never find anyone to play with. Its seriously broken, especially the last two bosses.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Ive always wanted to play this game, but im lucky if i can get any of my friends to play the well know neo fighters little less this hidden gem. If any of you guys get setup with fightcade id be glad to fuck around on it with you.

also, this is the combo video i think of when i think of DD. It used to have Digtial Love as the BGM, but was removed due to copyrights

That triple air throw was hilarious. Can't believe all the crazy things you can do in this game.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, there are acouple guys in houston trying to run a mainly for fun retro tournament series, its $1 dollar to enter, plus they throw in random stuff like a poster or something. But most importantly we play old school games. This month it was Karnovs Revenge. Hoping for Breakers Revenge next month. But I def am trying to get this on the bill for one of the tourneys

It was a lot of fun. It was interesting throwing in the Lees, Abobo, Marian and Burnov in there with all these extra made up characters. They could have easily called Amon 'Ranzou' instead to tie into Double Dragon 3 and Linda was sorely missing.

It was fun, but the CPU was hard. Like the 3rd or 4th opponent was already a pain, and at my arcade I only ever saw one person get to Shuko. It was weird in the sense that it had all the movie references, and yet none of the characters, save Abobo during his power up, look like they did in the movie, not even Shuko.

beecee

n00b
Always been a guilty pleasure this game for me, big, brash and loud.
great to fire up and play through now and again.

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Didn't ever get into this one until a few years ago as the local deli arcade never got it, sadly... Fortunately I have a a few retro / Neo friends who like the game. The mechanics and juggles sure do get pretty nuts, have only been able to get halfway decent with combos with Cheng Fu, got basic stuff with other characters. Game is definitely busted in ways, especially with Abobo being able to combo into his command grab super, and his ground smash super being OTG when you're dizzy, hah.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I agree that this game is a blast to play. My favorite moves are the “double taps” you can do when your opponent is down. Like virtua fighter.

I also find this game fairly accessible for novices.