Neo Geo Logo sound - Diffrent on various games?

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hey everyone,

I noted that on some games I have (Like Thrash Rally), the Neo Geo logo theme sounds rather shrill and tinny. Where as on some other games, it sounds a lot more rich and full.

Is this totally dependent on when the actual game was made? Or is it just a matter of having a game with bad/dirty contacts?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I think it depends upon the meg count of the game, sometimes not. Dirty contacts can make them sound distorted though, but yes different games had different jingles.

Someone made a video with most of the jingles on youtube, its pretty cool.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Some developers like ADK and others had their own spin on the jingle, some just skip it all together.

Burgers5750

Kabuki Klasher
The sounds are one of the most lovable aspects of NG for me. The fact they could fit so many sounds, especially speech, into games was one of the factors that set Neo Geo apart from the competition in the 16-bit era.

Did you know for example that the "SEGA" sound on the load screen of the Sonic The Hedgehog MD cart, used 1/8th of the available memory on the cart itself.

It's little wonder NG carts are the size of house bricks!

Last edited:

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I am not mistaken, it also can depend if it is a sport game, fighting game, etc. different genres. Pretty interesting! How about a video with all the different jingles one after another?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
never really looked into it, but i always thought the intro music depended on the era, like the later games had a different intro to the earlier titles. didn't notice there was so many.

ledfrog

n00b
I always thought the Neo Geo intro was coming from the system booting up, but I quickly learned that wasn't the case. I got kind of scared because I've been battling some sound issues and when I didn't hear the same intro on one cart that I was used to on the others, I was worried that the issues were getting worse.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Where is xsq when you need him?
giphy.gif