5 Neo Geo games on Switch at launch

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
sad to hear its not very good quality snk has been releasing them on other consoles to xbox one got neo turf masters world heroes and metal slug. i don't understand this aca business though and the game metal slug which i did buy has a few things i don't remember mostly the soundtrack. they are priced at 8 usd which isn't terrible given the challenge online components and the achievements

JoJo76

n00b
I thought it was the company Hamster that is putting out the ports for home consoles? Does snk have a say or do they just let Hamster have reign?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Looks like the Neo Geo games go live on the US eShop today, plus you get Nam 1975 as well.

I've put a bit more time in to Shock Troopers and it's not as bad as I thought. The controller lag issue seems to be my switch, probably interference as I have the dock behind my TV, so I need to have a play with that. Colours aren't as vibrant as they are on a Neo Geo, but it does play quite well on the handheld.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I picked up NAM1975 seems fine so far, will try it docked after work.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Thinking of at least picking up Metal Slug 3. However the videos online seem to show a washed out color palette. Also for those who have downloaded the games, how's the input lag (if there is any)?

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Thinking of at least picking up Metal Slug 3. However the videos online seem to show a washed out color palette. Also for those who have downloaded the games, how's the input lag (if there is any)?

If it's the same as Shock Troopers then no lag playing on the handheld. I did notice a slight delay playing docked, which was a bit tricky with the fast timing for changing shot direction.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
My switch arrived earlier than expected so I went ahead a nabbed MS3 so I could see how bad it was.

It's less bad then I thought it would be in some areas, worse in others. In handheld I didn't notice any significant lag, which is awesome, but the color palette is completely wrong... how did this even happen? Have these developers never seen MS3? First thing I'll say is immediately go to the display options and switch off of the default filter, it looks horrible and muddy, pixels look crisp with no filter on handheld, and still look better than the default with scanliness added, but there is NO option to adjust the brightness, or gamma.

There was a bit of lag docked, but to be honest I couldn't tell if it was the system or my TVs built in display lag, felt the same. 1-2 frames.

If they fix the colors so that blacks actually show as blacks, or simply give us brightness / gamma / contrast options, I think it'd be a playable port, but it's pathetic that they couldn't even get that right on a port that's this bare bones. It is literally just a rom in an emulator. Can anyone confirm if the other NG ports have the same color issues? Or is it only MS3?

My greatest hope continues to be that SNK gets some Iron Galaxy quality arcade ports in the future, but that seems less likely than mars people actually invading at this point.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
That's sad to hear. I was worried about the brightness as I kept seeing that issue in all the videos I watched online. Like you said here's hoping for a fix.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In the other thread someone said Hamster is working on it. Their PS4 ports have been pretty spot on, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I wonder if they just did a quick and dirty port of their PS4 emu and didn't adjust for the Switch's higher brightness setting.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, they might have just rushed something out for launch, knowing it would increase sales. Hopefully they'll fix the issues. They seemed to have suggested they are on twitter, although in broken english.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior

I have input lag on my right controller when shooting. Sometimes when pressing the button nothing happens.

It's pretty annoying. I'm not sure if anyone else has the same issue. Maybe my controller is defective.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I haven't noticed any lag, but I've only played with the joycons attached to the switch or with a pro controller when docked.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Decided to bite the bullet and just buy Metal Slug 3. Like others have said the screen brightness is way too high and the colors look washed out. Other than that everything seems pretty good. There was a bit of input lag at times when I was docked, but it wasn't terrible. Also the sound was desynced at times.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Neo games just got an update, seems to fix the colors. I haven't tried it on the tv but it looks a lot better on the handheld screen.

Also, dear last boss of Nam:

FUCK YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The Neo games just got an update, seems to fix the colors. I haven't tried it on the tv but it looks a lot better on screen.

Also, dear last boss of Nam:

FUCK YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Good to know. Thanks Gohan!

Also, yes...NAM's final boss...*shakes fist*

fernandeath

Morden's Lackey
sad to hear its not very good quality snk has been releasing them on other consoles to xbox one got neo turf masters world heroes and metal slug. i don't understand this aca business though and the game metal slug which i did buy has a few things i don't remember mostly the soundtrack. they are priced at 8 usd which isn't terrible given the challenge online components and the achievements

I was surprised to see SNK games in the xbox one live store.
I hope we (xbone owners) can get more content from SNK in the future.

Last edited:

firenze

n00b
Patch available as of yesterday for all of the initial 6 Neo Geo ACA titles, to improve color and sound accuracy. Should automatically download/update.

Also, KOF '94 got a worldwide (JP/NA/EU) Switch release today. Nice to see this trend, hopefully we continue to have parity between the regional eShops.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
The Neo games just got an update, seems to fix the colors. I haven't tried it on the tv but it looks a lot better on the handheld screen.

Awesome!

Question for y'all - is there a way to play 2 player?

Also, why the fuck am I buying my 10000000th copy of Metal Slug 3!? Sigh, can't resist.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You just need two controllers. The games that aren't fighters work surprisingly well with the little joy cons. Local play only.

Luciano

Crossed Swords Squire
It was great to see that most games available on a new system at launch are Neo Geo games. After the color and lag disappointment it´s running good now. I hope they bring viewpoint soon.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I hope they bring viewpoint soon.

That's Aicom, so it won't happen, just like in the case of Pulstar. Both have never been released digitally yet, nor appear on any other CD compilation. But Blazing Star might, since its iOS & Android release did happen and of course Last Resort.