Pocket Rumble - a new NGPC style fighter

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I know this has been posted in the Switch main thread but I thought some people would miss it. A fun looking clone of NGPC fighters, even down to the two button gameplay is coming to the Switch this month, and Steam later on.

More info here: http://nichegamer.com/2017/02/28/ne...ced-as-console-exclusive-for-nintendo-switch/

It's not like there are many games on the Switch right now anyway, so while it is hardly going to be a system seller it might be worth a punt if you already have one.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
too bad it's not actually on the pocket color, I would love to play it on a flash cartridge.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
This looks (and sounds) really nice. I would buy it day 1 if it were actually on the NGPC. I might give it a try when I get my Switch.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
im thrilled someone was inspired by the NGPC.
They got the visuals right, but will the control be solid?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looks tight. I'll be sure to check it out.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
too bad it's not actually on the pocket color, I would love to play it on a flash cartridge.

They're porting it to NGP for free at some point.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cardboardrobotgames/pocket-rumble-new-2d-fighting-game-for-pc-and-hand/description

Finally, we're excited to announce that there will be an actual Neo Geo Pocket Color port of Pocket Rumble by veteran homebrewer Thor!

1UqQTww.png

The ROM will be free for anyone to download and play using an emulator or a flash cart. It will probably only have arcade mode, and a lot of things about the game will have to be altered to accommodate the system's limitations, but we think it'll be really fun to see our game running on one of our favorite systems, alongside the games that inspired so much about it.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Well, guess I'm going to order a second Neo Geo Pocket Color now. I've been putting it off, but that seals it.

That's great news!!! Can't wait to try that.
Wait, you need a second one? You have issues with your NGP?

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
This game does look seriously rad. The fact that they are doing the pocket port as well is an awesome bonus!

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
That's great news!!! Can't wait to try that.
Wait, you need a second one? You have issues with your NGP?
Someone did a frontlight mod on it for me years ago & it's basically ruined now. I actually own 3. One with a bad frontlight mod, one brand new one I got for close to nothing, & a third one because I needed a slim model for some reason. You never know. One day these may be impossible to find, so it's always nice to have a spare. I've been playing Metal Slug 2nd mission on & off.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed there aren't a huge pile of the things lying around. I took the same strategy with the GB Micro. I have a CIB one, then I have a beater(not really but some wear), and I've had others and when they failed or I bought them for pennies to the dollar failed, I'd keep the battery packs and spare parts(screws, rubbers, buttons) just in case something croaks.

I'm going to get this on Switch when it drops. I wish it was going to come to GoG, and while it is on development in Steam I don't see me using that kind of game much if ever on a computer.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I wonder how long online matches would last on the switch. This feels like a game which might have people playing it for a week or two before it's impossible to connect to anyone.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Oh. ported to the ngpc. that's cherry on top right there.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
That looks damn nice. It's about time the NGPC's sprite style came back.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I wish I could get a microswitch thumb stick Joycon for the Switch to play this.

Yohanov

n00b
This game was kickstarted quite a while ago, I'm surprised it wasn't posted here at the time of the KS.

Anyways as announced in the KS campaign, the NGPC port is not done by the PR devs, but by the french homebrower Thor, using the assets sent by the devs.
Problem is that Thor had some difficulties with interpreting the code so he took a break because of the amount of manual work required. Hopefully he'll find the motivation to get back to it soon!

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Whoa, didn't know about a NGPC port. That's pretty rad. Shame that the Nintendo Switch version got pushed back. I was really hyped for it. Oh well. I'll get the Steam version in the meantime.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Haven't heard ANYTHING about the Switch port recently. RIP, looks like I'll just have to go with the Steam version if I want to play anytime soon... :(

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Thanks. Well, at least it isn't outright canceled. Their site also reminded me that Wargroove looks like a really cool Advance Wars clone.