Sega Saturn and SNES controllers on a Neo Geo? How and shut up and take my money!

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Before all the Fanboys and girls kill me...

Yes! I love the Neo Geo CD controller, Stock stick and all stock Neo Geo controllers but, I have been seeing a lot of old posts on other sites where people convert an old SNES controller or Sega Saturn controller to work on a DB15 Neo Geo MVS/CD/AES port...

The reason for this post is....

HOWWWWWW I want to do this!? I just cant find a schematic out there and the documentation is about as scarce as consolizing a 4 slot MVS.

If anyone has an idea, please feel free to post on this thread as it would be good to have this documented for us Supergun owners/ the general public.

Attachments

• aaa.png
    aaa.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 3-2-2017 2-59-58 PM.png
    3-2-2017 2-59-58 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 3-2-2017 3-00-44 PM.png
    3-2-2017 3-00-44 PM.png
    527.2 KB · Views: 298

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I have seen these on eBay before. Your best bet maybe to contact Xian xi. He knows that mod work better then I.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's basically a padhack with a neo geo controller extension cable.

Cut off one end of the extension cable and just solder the wires to the corresponding pads on the snes controller. You'll have to be creative to make sure the buttons all still work when you are done.

Like this guy did, but to the extension cable instead of the arcade buttons.
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_achilles.shtml

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
another option would be to find a ps2 controller of your choice and hook it up to your neo with a ps2 to neo converter. but they also may be hard to come by these days.

dagoto19

n00b
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Getting a SNES/Gen to NG converter is advisable if you don't want to gut your controllers.
If you don't mind modifying your controllers you can look up a pinout sheet for the controller of your choice and solder those ends to a NG controller cable. The NG controller pinout is easy to find and straight-forward so it shouldn't take long to do.

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks so much for all the lovely suggestions everyone :)

I will definitely reach out to Xian xi as I have benefited so much from his help already on other projects.

I might do the pad hack as I did the Neo Geo adapter hack with a PSX controller and I figure its similar with a saturn/ SNES controller. (Hopefully lol just build an inline fuse somewhere so I don't screw up)

I have seen those Tototek adapters before and its a cool idea (I am just a collector of odd sorts so any controller to any hookup interests me)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
yeah- we did some of these with some sat pads for the supergun when they came out (briefly and they are not coming back). it's not an uncommon thing. xian xi does great work. i think lemony can do something like that as well for you.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
RGB made some Saturn to DB15 convertors, no need to destroy a Saturn pad. I think an external convertor would always be the preferred method.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If you don't mind modifying your controllers you can look up a pinout sheet for the controller of your choice and solder those ends to a NG controller cable. The NG controller pinout is easy to find and straight-forward so it shouldn't take long to do.

It's not as simple as finding the pinout for the controllers and rewiring to a DB-15. Megadrive and SNES controllers have multiplexers that reduce the required pin count so you'd need a circuit to de-multiplex the lines. The SNES, for example, only use 5 pins in the controller port for a 12 button joypad.

As said above, you need to do a 'padhack' and solder directly to the board of the controller rather than the 'repin' the controller plug to a DB-15, unless you can find a converter.

mhell06

n00b
There's also this: http://kadevice.com/kade-miniconsole/ that is supposed to be released at some point. It will allow several different gamepads to connect to many different systems, including neo-geo. Didn't follow the kickstarter and only recently stumpled upon it. Don't know what their progress is, but it seems it has been shipped to backers. I hope it'll release soon...

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Toodles from godlike controls made the FGC widget, which converted psx/2, Saturn, or snes to their raw inputs. Makes it really easy to make an adapter. Too bad he doesn't make them anymore.

This (adding a neo cable to an existing controller) is something I could do for ya if Xian Xi doesn't have time.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
What's next, installing controller ports on an arcade cab?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

People have actually done that shit. Unless they're built in (like the 15 pin sockets on the mvs or the Dreamcast ports on some Naomi cabinets) it's a crime.

Heresy, I say.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i'm going to make one of these myself. you're going to want to order a Japanese Super Famicom controller because it has the colors coded almost the same as the Neo Geo CD controller

1200px-Super-Famicom-Controller.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

when i had them, we did it with a solidly built but not very in demand 3rd party one. i had a customer ask for one more set (after i sold out) and i said sure but if he provided the controllers. he sent me skeleton controllers. i stopped doing them as a favor after i saw that.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had Xian Xi use USB ports instead of DB15 for my supergun, so I think he'd be able to pull off a converter or hacked pad no problem.

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
oh nice @ USB ports, I might have to reach out to Xian Xi and see what he'd charge. (Just like the option of using other controllers if I wanted to)

Tengugurl

Cheng's Errand Boy
no way! that is cool, I found it off some other site but, now time to do some digging. Did you make this one?

Artabasdos

War Room Troll
Why the SNES controller for NEOGEO? Saturn controller I can understand, but SNES? Would rather use the 6 button Megadrive controller or arcade stick personally.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Why the SNES controller for NEOGEO? Saturn controller I can understand, but SNES? Would rather use the 6 button Megadrive controller or arcade stick personally.

Yeah dude, gotta have six buttons for art of fighting.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Never go full retard.