The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
There seem to be plenty of Switch topics, but I couldn't find one for this, a game that could easily be game of the year.

Anyone else got it pre-ordered? I've just gone for the Wii U version, and like a sad fan boy I've booked the day off work.

I haven't been reading reviews or previews because I don't want any spoilers, but I see Edge gave it a 10. I don't know if people outside the UK are familiar with Edge, but they're not usually ones to give high scores out easily.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I'm getting it with the Switch. I won't be able to touch it until next week though. I played through the first Zelda game in anticipation, and I'm going to try to run through Zelda 2 if I have enough time.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
If anyone is looking for the new amiibos released with this game out of all the stores I have visited today toys r us were the only ones with all of them in stock.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
It's so weird that you can't buy a new Wii U in stores to go with this game, especially considering when it was supposed to come out.

Not really sold on the Switch yet. Hell, this was supposed to be the game that finally sold me on a Wii U.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
It's so weird that you can't buy a new Wii U in stores to go with this game, especially considering when it was supposed to come out.

Not really sold on the Switch yet. Hell, this was supposed to be the game that finally sold me on a Wii U.

It's called business bro. Nintendo is after your rupees.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shit, I'm going to have to play the money making game.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
As stated in another thread, I was house sitting and they had a Wii U. I told them I was going to buy Zelda and they wanted it anyway so they bought it before they left. So I got to put in like 5 hours. I really like it. I agree with people saying it feels a lot like the original Zelda. The style is awesome and the varied combat is cool. I just wish that there were more varied ways to take out a group of goblins like they were showing in the demos. It's kind of repetitive - snipe the lookout and bomb the rest if powder kegs are around. Otherwise just attack. Also inventory management sucks. But overall - from what I've played - it's an awesome game. I'm still not willing to pay $250 for a Wii U. But if I found a new one for $200 that included Mario Kart I'd pick one up knowing that I'll love Zelda and bayonetta 2.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
This game is too big. I just got off the plateu & got into the dessert, & when I activated the tower there the map expanded what feels like 20X larger to the south.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Wii Us are now $200 refurbed directly from Nintendo... I'm tempted...

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Also most Wii U accessories are clearanced heavily. I got a Wii U pro controller for 20 at Walmart.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I went with the wii-u version.I'm liking it so far it has that exploration to it being akin to the original loz.Still,takes getting use to since the game is so vast and bigger compare to the past ones.I just wish the game had a sound track to it the game can be to quiet.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It looks like this game is a good sign that Nintendo is paying attention, lots of good things about other great games are present here. I hope to get my hands on it soon.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I played for about 4-5 hours total time the past 2 days and so far this is very different from all the previous 3d Zelda games out there. Aside from a few cut scenes *which you can skip* and some dialog, there isn't much direction. I got to as far as getting the paraglider and died a few times along the way. Tried swimming in large bodies of water and drowned. Tried going through the cold mountains and died. Tried taking down some of the bigger enemies and got smashed. Luckily the checkpoints are very well placed and i didn't lose much progress at all.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I probably spent about 8 hours playing over the weekend, and I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface. I've barely progressed in the story because it's just so easy to see something in the distance and get distracted. I'm absolutely loving it.

I went with the Switch version in the end, and it looks great on my TV, so I don't know about the 20 fps reports. I did have some issues with input lag, which is worrying. I probably played 6 hours on the TV and this only happened a couple of times, so it's not like it's constant.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've got more than that in it and you haven't scratched it, trust me. I'm as far as where I could take on the first of the 4 beasts I'm sure the game has mentioned to you at this rate. Each beast is also a two part battle, one is knocking on the front door opening it up and making it stop rampaging, the second is a full fledged large interior dungeon within said beast with the boss at the end causing its insanity.

You'll find in this game the world is insanely huge and can take hours to walk across that first time until you hit those shrines, towers, and towns that have teleportation spots. I did some poking around, and a piece of advice since Link is a flaming pussy in this game as far as damage goes. Other than using 1 set of 4 shrines to get +1 stamina, piss all the rest on heart containers as you'll need it. The armors in the game are a joke, they don't seem to on any part top out over +4 damage mitigation. You can supplement it with cooked foods which can give a temporarily boost of defense, resistance to element, or add +4? temporary hearts to your life. To get the master sword in the game I read you need at least 13 heart (a road block like the original NES did too.) If you do what I said about the hearts from shrines, if you use every one but (4) for +1 stamina, you can get up to the 13 hearts needed by the time you take down the 2nd dungeon from the looks of things.

I'm very tempted at this rate to get the shock arrows for dungeon one exterior battle (which looks like the raging war elephant from Adventure Time kind of) and perhaps backing off and going on a heart quest. I'd rather take that thing on with a life bar of like 10 instead of 4. The run up to Zora's Domain was too many one hit kills for my liking.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
But can anyone confirm that the horses dodge trees???

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've got a 2 star horse in the stable. I find they're kind of dumb. I've bumped into some taller rocks and trees, so if it dodges it's maybe more finicky? I know if you have a small gap or a knee high or so rock it will leap over it and keep on truckin along.

Yesterday I put 2 hours on it and pushed Zora's Domain that far. Before that the day of and day after I think I put probably 10+ hours on it between the two, more so on the 4th as I couldn't start on it until late the 3rd.

Right now I'm fairly certain what I'll do is attempt to dodge the big grunt (and save plenty) going after shock arrows (need 20.) From there I'm not going to do the dungeon since I have a shrine teleport in the domain and I'm going to walk the world and see what I can dig up as I really want more container hearts and if better gear appears all the better.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
The armors in the game are a joke, they don't seem to on any part top out over +4 damage mitigation.
I haven't found any yet, but I hear you can upgrade your armor at Great Fairy Fountains.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've got the cold resistant armor had the first and second town upgrade armors, and once I go back because of 1 memory to kakariko I can get that champions blue armor. There the first fairy sits outside town and yes she can upgrade. I did it a couple days ago, booted my zora armor to a 5 making it the best for me currently as the store armor was a 4.

Yesterday I went overkill for like 4hours when I planned to stop at 2, got another 4 shrines (yet to cash in a 4th heart and I have +1 stamina too) and nailed down some more towers, nasty well guarded ones. Hyrule Castle was patroled by 2-3 guardians with long reach one shot kill beams. I had to 3x jump the wall to the next platform before being grilled. Another tabantha was ugly too with instant death shock lizalfos swimming around it and 3 shock wizrobes which took a lot of arrow sniping...one to ?, ice to freeze, then bomb to destroy. Cupcaked the woodlands one just north of the castle, paraglided into that one off a sharp piece of rock in Eldin avoiding a HUGE mess below with a well guarded set of forts.

Nuggies

n00b
Everyone I've talked to has loved this game so far. I wasn't sure I wanted to pickup a new console, but I've heard reviewers claiming this is their favorite Zelda game.