PS4 releases of PS2 SNK games - first time outside of Japan

firenze

n00b
Just a heads up in case people aren't aware, SNK has been releasing several of their PS2 Neo ports in upscaled "PS2 Classics" form on PS4, in North America and Europe. This is especially notable in that the PS2 versions were never released outside of Japan.

The stand-alone PS2 Samurai Spirits VI was the first of these releases, in November of last year. That particular port of the Atomiswave game was never released outside of Japan, though SSVI did appear on the SamSho Anthology compilations. Discussed on the forums here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?268957-Samurai-Shodown-6-is-coming-to-PS4-11-22

Fu'un Super Combo (Savage Reign & Kizuna Encounter 2-pack), which was originally released in 2007 on PS2 as vol.8 of the Japanese PS2 Neo Geo Online Collection series, was the next PS4 release in late December. PS2 disc never got a release outside of Japan.

Then last week, ADK Damashii for PS4 showed up on PSN. Contains 5 ADK games: Ninja Master's, Ninja Commando, Ninja Combat, Gangan/Agressors of Dark Kombat, and Twinkle Star Sprites. The PS2 version was released in 2008, and like the above two was Japan only.

The ports are fine, it's the standard PS4 emulation of PS2 Classics titles with some upscaling features. They're the SNK PS2 releases, not re-done ports (like the recent Last Blade 2, Garou, and Metal Slug 3 releases ported by Code Mystics), and not emulation of the original ROMs like the ACA Neo Geo series releases. Perhaps not the most interesting thing in the world to people who play the Neo originals, but these are some pretty rare games that haven't been re-released to death like many Neo games. I just find it fascinating that the PS2 ports that seemed very unlikely to ever leave Japan ended up getting global release after nearly a decade. Makes me a little curious to see if some of the other more obscure Japan-only PS2 rarities end up making an appearance on PSN. SVC Chaos, Sunsoft Collection, Maximum Impact Regulation A, Metal Slug (3D)...

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I would love to buy these just for the sake of supporting, but I also don't want to send the message that the PS2 / ACA releases should be the standard for porting these games. I'm mainly waiting for Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special, NGBC and KOFXI, and I sure want them to have proper ports with online and no input lag.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I would love to buy these just for the sake of supporting, but I also don't want to send the message that the PS2 / ACA releases should be the standard for porting these games. I'm mainly waiting for Samurai Shodown 2, Fatal Fury Special, NGBC and KOFXI, and I sure want them to have proper ports with online and no input lag.

Seconded (I'd probably swap out Fatal Fury Special for the hope Windjammers gets an online port)
I really wish the Turfmasters release had online play, its disappointing that it doesn't, I am enjoying the Caravan Mode at least.

Last edited:

RetroGiga68k

New Challenger
I bought all three of those JP PS2 discs - SSVI, Fu'un Super Combo, ADK Damashii - back in the day and vaguely remember considering them relatively good ports when running native on PS2 back then. (Not quite as good as carts of course, but nowhere near as bad as laggy junk ports like PS2 Metal Slug Anthology.) If they are now being emulated via PS4 though I guess that might possibly introduce additional input lag? Nice to see these surprise released outside of JP after all these years though. Ninja Masters is one of my favorite Neo games, I never thought I'd see it ported to PS4 like this.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Battle Archive 2 (RB1 / RBS / RB2) is coming to PSN as PS2 port.

I tried the ADK collection, and it felt off, especially the menus. I think even the ACA ports are better than those PS2 releases.