My soldering station heatgun is acting crazy

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
i was using to heat up some stuff, turned it off. turned it back on a bit later to blow some air and noticed nothing was coming out. then the smell

i shut it off but not before the tip turned red hot.

anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Re...ts=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:3415502011

i have one just like that

Dude are you saying the element was running with no air flow, there was your problem right there. It went Chernobyl.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I had a similar problem with my no-name Chinese rework station. Turns out some of the plastic pieces in the air path had cracked - another glorious moment for duct tape.

edit: I don't think it's catastrophic for the heating element to be momentarily red hot.

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
got ya. i'll analyze the housing to see if i can find any cracks or anything else

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
alright i took it apart and saw the ceramic....? star near the top of the tube broke and 2 of its points were lodged inside the housing. i removed them put everything back how i found it but that hasnt solved it.

so you suggest wrapping the outer plastic of the heat gun with tape. thats what i'll try next.

if that doesnt work then im wondering if there is replacement i can buy. i see no sense in buying a whole new rework station since its only the heat gun acting up so i'd just replace that.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
so you suggest wrapping the outer plastic of the heat gun with tape. thats what i'll try next.

I wouldn't put tape near the heating element.

I made sure I was only taping cold areas.