MVS Cart Reboot Loop

Hakeshu

n00b
Hello Guys,

Just got a bulk of MVS carts and one of them is a Fatal Fury Special. All carts have minor bugs (sound and graphics corruption), but the FFS can't boot due a reboot loop. Already did the basic clean up and no success. Did some research and all problems that look like this is about MVS boards and not the cart itself. Anyone got an error like this? Any hope to fix?

Here's the video with the issue:

Please don't mind the bad video quality hahaha. Thanks in advance for any info.:glee:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
If all of your carts are having glitches then you should clean the cartridge slot on the MVS itself. Also break out the multimeter and make sure your MVS board is receiving a solid 5 volts of power.

Hakeshu

n00b
If all of your carts are having glitches then you should clean the cartridge slot on the MVS itself. Also break out the multimeter and make sure your MVS board is receiving a solid 5 volts of power.

The carts that have glitchs were bought as is. My good carts works great on my board. The power supply is also ok, since with I got no problems with my other carts

kaicer

Crazed MVS Addict
If other games work without problems I dont think is mvs itself. Do you have unibios?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
If your board plays other games perfectly fine then it is the cart at fault and not the MVS. Could be an issue with the P-Rom on the cart, rather than the MVS. Remove the P-Rom, dump it and check against MAME.

Hakeshu

n00b
If your board plays other games perfectly fine then it is the cart at fault and not the MVS. Could be an issue with the P-Rom on the cart, rather than the MVS. Remove the P-Rom, dump it and check against MAME.

Thanks for the direction Pulstar. I'm waiting for my unibios and TL866 arrive, this way I'll be able to do more precise tests. After dumping the P-Rom do I need any program to compare? Or just need to compare size and CRC?

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
From the command line, you can use the -romident switch in MAME and it should come up and say what romset it comes from. If it can't find it then it's bad or undumped...but probably bad.

There's also some web based romident programs, but I always just use the -romident switch in MAME.

Hakeshu

n00b
From the command line, you can use the -romident switch in MAME and it should come up and say what romset it comes from. If it can't find it then it's bad or undumped...but probably bad.

There's also some web based romident programs, but I always just use the -romident switch in MAME.

Awesome. Now just need to wait the burner and desoldering gun to check the ICs. Thanks a lot. I'm new on the mvs scene, but even with research sometimes it's difficult to find the right path (I'm sitting on 6 glitched carts atm).

Hakeshu

n00b
Hello guys. Ressurecting the topic.

Got my eprom burner and did checked the EP1 IC and I guess I just found the culprit as you can see in the image below. The on the right is my EP1, the other is a EP1.BIN file that I downloaded.

Will try to get the right eprom this week (we're at holydays atm). Also there's any difference between M27C4002-15F1 and M27C4002-12F1, I can find only 12F1 on retailers.

Hope I can get this one working soon.

ep1.JPG

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hello guys. Ressurecting the topic.

Got my eprom burner and did checked the EP1 IC and I guess I just found the culprit as you can see in the image below. The on the right is my EP1, the other is a EP1.BIN file that I downloaded.

Will try to get the right eprom this week (we're at holydays atm). Also there's any difference between M27C4002-15F1 and M27C4002-12F1, I can find only 12F1 on retailers.

Hope I can get this one working soon.

View attachment 44304

There are (at least) two different sets of Fatal Fury Special. Be sure you download and burn the correct one to replace your EP ROM.

The difference between EPROMS 12F1 and !5F1 is speed. 12F1 are faster (120ns) whereas 15F1 are slower (150ns).

Regards.

Hakeshu

n00b
There are (at least) two different sets of Fatal Fury Special. Be sure you download and burn the correct one to replace your EP ROM.

The difference between EPROMS 12F1 and !5F1 is speed. 12F1 are faster (120ns) whereas 15F1 are slower (150ns).

Regards.

I used the fatfurspa set since it was the only one with the EP1.bin file.