NEOSD AES Support thread !

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I mentioned this before in this thread, but a friend of mine with more experience on various Neo Geo hardware says this is a known issue and is the fault of the console itself, not the NeoSD. He said the fix is to power-cycle after booting the game if you see the pixel glitches, which of course you already know does fix the issue.

I'm not sure about that. Maybe the AES showing the issue have problems but if its only happening with the neoSD and not other original games then I think what your friend told you is very unlikely. I have never seen such a thing myself.

Last edited:

FBX

Quiz Detective
I'm not sure about that. Maybe the AES showing the issue have problems but if its only happening with the neoSD and not other original games when I think what your friend told you is very unlikely. I have never seen such a thing myself.

Yeah I was thinking you might be right about that. I'll email him and ask him if he as more detailed info on this.

Ricard350

n00b
Yeah, I only have 1 original cart beside the NeoSD and I have never seen that happened with my original cart....

neodev

Neosd Tech
Yeah, I only have 1 original cart beside the NeoSD and I have never seen that happened with my original cart....

Please, send us an email to contact@neosdstore dot com with your serial number and also the versions that appear in the Version option.

FBX

Quiz Detective
I heard back from my friend about the pixels issue and why he thought it was hardware console end issues: He had tested the NeoSD on three different AES consoles, and only one of them exhibited the random pixel flicker issue. Repeated tests showed it only happened on that one console and not ever the other two.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
That would be expected given only a minority have the problem. It probably would be helpful if your friend checked the AES HW revision of the affected console as it might be something only affecting certain models.

FBX

Quiz Detective
I'll ask him (hopefully he remembers). On my end, the issue was coming up in my AES3-3. I didn't really notice the issue any more after updating the NeoSD firmware to the latest, but I need to go back and double-check to make sure it is completely gone. I remember SVC Chaos was notoriously bad with this issue. The opening intro would be rife with flickering pixels.

wolfsoft

n00b
Hi there,
I am trying to contact alex via email from neosd for weeks, but he didn't respond. Is there a known problem with him?
I want to order a neosd AES
Thanks

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Hi there,
I am trying to contact alex via email from neosd for weeks, but he didn't respond. Is there a known problem with him?
I want to order a neosd AES
Thanks

Alex is busy...

What seems to be the issue with ordering an Neosd AES cart?

xROTx

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
OK, picked up a NeoSD AES. Where is the 1.06 firmware upgrade download? I noticed in my MVS version, there is an actual firmware upgrade link in the downloads. But not in the AES folder. I'm assuming the MVS download will not work because of the serial numbers.

FBX

Quiz Detective
Heard back from my friend. He sent off the Neo Geo for prototype modding, so he doesn't know offhand what revision it was. However, he had made a video of the pixel flicker happening every other flash of the game ROM, which I reviewed and determined that issue has already been fixed in the newest firmware. I let him know the firmware update fixed that flickering.

Ricard350

n00b
I was trying new game on my NEOSD AES and I came across 2 game that did not loaded good, it boot with no neo geo even during the bios splash screen and missing graphics layer.

It happened on Magical drop 3 and Matrimelee, those are the only 2 one so far of about 30 games or so that i have tried. Magical drop 3 for some reason also takes forever to load and it its a bit unusual for a file of that size, roms double the size load faster than this one.

After 1-2 more attempt, managed to load Magical Drop 3 with graphical glitches instead of the neo geo logo.

here is the video

https://youtu.be/cSKMDqGBsLI

What are your thought about this?

Ricard350

n00b
It turned out to be the sd card, kept on unmounting itself in windows10 fucking bugger!
Tried Magical drop 3 with another sdcard and it works

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
OK, picked up a NeoSD AES. Where is the 1.06 firmware upgrade download? I noticed in my MVS version, there is an actual firmware upgrade link in the downloads. But not in the AES folder. I'm assuming the MVS download will not work because of the serial numbers.

I purchased a used MVS cart and hoped to use the AES version update which I bought new from Neo sd but as you have worked out each cart has a unique firmware, I contacted NeoSD who were extremely helpful and activated my MVS cart.

Send them an email, wonderful product.

hello I do not see the answer, I have neosd, support it or he will support the memory card and if he can not, can we add a physical memory card thank you in advance, I come soon order the super system 3;) thanks for these happiness

neodev

Neosd Tech
hello I do not see the answer, I have neosd, support it or he will support the memory card and if he can not, can we add a physical memory card thank you in advance, I come soon order the super system 3;) thanks for these happiness

Hello

The neosd can't emulate a physical memory card mainly because games check if there is a card physically inserted in the card slot, and it's read directly from the input port, so it can't be faked by bios or trap.
On the other hand, SSDS3 internally supports the backup ram, so you don't need any external one.

Notsuoh

n00b
Hi,
I'm having a problem with my NeoSD. I loaded a game that is a puzzle game and looks to be a home brew game. It has water melons and various other round objects. You can also drop a bomb to blow things up so that round items fall down. You seem to have to collect little blue balls. Anyway after loading into the game I am now unable to get to the NeoSD menu by pressing start and reset or by holding start on power up on controller 1. Also start+A+D controller 1 for several seconds does not work either. Please help as the game is stuck in the ROM of my NeoSD and I can't play anything now but this puzzle game.

Notsuoh

n00b
Boot loop digger man

Hello,

This is the fast way, there is an actual way to reset NEOSD : put a file called reset.cfg on the microsd.

Thanks

I have tried the above and still can't get to the neosd menu. I have an aes model, jap neogeo stock bios. Please help. Thank you.

neodev

Neosd Tech
I have tried the above and still can't get to the neosd menu. I have an aes model, jap neogeo stock bios. Please help. Thank you.

Usually windows hides the file extensions and it might not be correctly named. Ensure the file extensions are shown in the directory and ensure it's named just reset.cfg, and not reset.cfg.txt or something similar.

Notsuoh

n00b
Usually windows hides the file extensions and it might not be correctly named. Ensure the file extensions are shown in the directory and ensure it's named just reset.cfg, and not reset.cfg.txt or something similar.

That fixed it, so thankful. Great people at NEOSD. Have a blessed day.

sheik

n00b

You login at www.neosdstore.com/downloads/products click "add product" and then enter your serial number (found in the settings menu of NeoSD). That should give you a download link. It did for me, anyway. Hope that helps.

sheik

n00b
OK, my AES + NeoSD has been sitting unused for a while (I've been in a C64 and Amiga mood for the last few months). Back into playing with the Neo Geo now though so upgraded NeoSD to v1.06 firmware, which I'm chuffed to see now offers highscore saving to SD card, MVS mode and soft dip settings. Nice!
I found a problem quite quickly which is entirely possibly just a newbie mistake and not a bug...
I loaded Metal Slug 1 in MVS mode, put it to region Europe and enabled blood in the soft dip settings. As expected, the demo mode ran silently, but blood appeared. Tried to play the game though and couldn't jump. The B button glitches the sprite up a few pixels but it's then like something else immediately cancels the jump. Putting the region to Japan or turning off MVS mode fixes the problem. Tried resetting and also using a different joystick.
My ROM set was supplied by a certain forum mod in a certain chat room...
Any idea?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
OK, my AES + NeoSD has been sitting unused for a while (I've been in a C64 and Amiga mood for the last few months). Back into playing with the Neo Geo now though so upgraded NeoSD to v1.06 firmware, which I'm chuffed to see now offers highscore saving to SD card, MVS mode and soft dip settings. Nice!
I found a problem quite quickly which is entirely possibly just a newbie mistake and not a bug...
I loaded Metal Slug 1 in MVS mode, put it to region Europe and enabled blood in the soft dip settings. As expected, the demo mode ran silently, but blood appeared. Tried to play the game though and couldn't jump. The B button glitches the sprite up a few pixels but it's then like something else immediately cancels the jump. Putting the region to Japan or turning off MVS mode fixes the problem. Tried resetting and also using a different joystick.
My ROM set was supplied by a certain forum mod in a certain chat room...
Any idea?

I've noticed on mine [Jpn unmodded console] that if I switch regions through software, results are a crapshoot. Some games are fine, others glitch all over the place. So, I would say if you want completely 100% glitch free everything, leave the region switch alone and stick to whatever your console is. That is for now, at least....at least until a fix is announced.

sheik

n00b
I've noticed on mine [Jpn unmodded console] that if I switch regions through software, results are a crapshoot. Some games are fine, others glitch all over the place. So, I would say if you want completely 100% glitch free everything, leave the region switch alone and stick to whatever your console is.
Cheers for this, I thought I might be the only one to have seen something strange when switching regions, as I haven't seen anyone else report similar things on here.

...at least until a fix is announced.
Do you know if this is on the Neo team's radar? I'll ping them a bug report now that it seems less likely to be a n00b error.
Mind you, I might wait a bit as they are obviously a bit busy at the moment ;).