NEOSD AES Support thread !

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Hi everyone, just got my Neo SD AES last week and it's been mostly great. There seem to be a few issues, though. For one, it seems like games will randomly reset at times. They also don't have any music during the attract screen or explanation of controls when set to anything other than "BIOS"->"BIOS". For example, I was hoping to play most games with "MVS" and "English" settings. Finally, Kizuna Encounter doesn't seem to work at all. It has to be set to BIOS->BIOS to even get to the controls section, whereupon it crashes entirely.

Am I forgetting some crucial step? Is there a Neo Geo BIOS that needs to be added to the SD card or something? Any suggestions would be a huge, huge help. I've wanted a Neo Geo since I was like 10 years old, and while it's nice to have the system and this cart, it would be an absolute dream come true if these issues could be resolved. Thanks!

The resetting could be power related. Does it happen with original carts? Are you using an OEM power supply?

Jason X

n00b
Unfortunately, I got the flash cart in the hopes of avoiding the costs associated with collecting legit games for this system. The console itself is a Japanese unit purchased off of ebay, so I'm also unsure if the power supply is original. It's possible that it wasn't securely plugged into the unit, though.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm not sure if this will help or not but I have a Japanese AES system with a OEM power supply. It was recommended to me that I use this step down power transformer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00757RYPK/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_5wgLBb69Y2F3Y
I just got my NEOSD and so far it works without problems.

I use that same converter for my European Amiga. Works great.

I have a jp system and NeoSD also, and I've never had a reset issue. I'd listen to the SD Card suggestions, and maybe get a new PSU if that doesn't work.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Does the file folder need to be named something specific for the roms to show up in the Neo sd?

Edit: Figured it out- the files do not go in a folder

Last edited:

TheKRULIX

n00b
Hey guys,

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong with my neosd pro AES. I’ve registered my serial number and am trying to load my micro sd card with the neobuilder. That is where I am stuck. Am I possibly over complicating things? I’m stuck in a loop where I save neobuilder and then open it only to save again. I didn’t want to put the MicroSD card until it was ready to go. Sorry for this, it seems like I’m the only one having a problem like this. Thanks!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What are the exact steps you are taking?

TheKRULIX

n00b
Thanks Todd,

After I saved the download provided (NeobuilderUI_1.06) to my micro SD card I put it in my NeoSD pro cart and hoped for the best. It didn't have any of the games on it so I must be missing a step and any help would be greatly appreciated.

The instruction manual is good. The problem I'm having is at paragraph 3 of "Getting started"

"To convert the files, just open the NeobuilderUI tool, select a folder containing the .zip files, and press start" I am given the option to open or save. I've tried to open and it asks me to choose an app to open with. I have tried internet explorer and that seems to keep me in the open and/or save loop. This could possibly be the hold up? I will keep trying but possibly some advice?

Thanks so much

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks Todd,

After I saved the download provided (NeobuilderUI_1.06) to my micro SD card I put it in my NeoSD pro cart and hoped for the best. It didn't have any of the games on it so I must be missing a step and any help would be greatly appreciated.

The instruction manual is good. The problem I'm having is at paragraph 3 of "Getting started"

"To convert the files, just open the NeobuilderUI tool, select a folder containing the .zip files, and press start" I am given the option to open or save. I've tried to open and it asks me to choose an app to open with. I have tried internet explorer and that seems to keep me in the open and/or save loop. This could possibly be the hold up? I will keep trying but possibly some advice?

Thanks so much

lol wut? :lolz:

You need to download the Neobuilder tool to a Windows computer, unzip it and run the NeobuilderUI,exe.

From there you can convert the regular Neo Geo roms into the correct .neo format.

TheKRULIX

n00b
Thanks Man, I have 7zip that is working up to the last step you mentioned. I was able to extract neobuilder in 7zip but have not been able to convert neobuilderUI.exe into .neo format. I double click the file and am wondering what I’m doing wrong as it’s not converting to .neo

Thanks

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Is TheKRULIX for real?

What do you think? Brawn vs brain?

@TheKRULIX you better search around and find that magical Rot post that leads you to contact him in chat and get something hopefully far simpler, well passwords were involved so ... anyhow good luck with your search.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Thanks Man, I have 7zip that is working up to the last step you mentioned. I was able to extract neobuilder in 7zip but have not been able to convert neobuilderUI.exe into .neo format. I double click the file and am wondering what I’m doing wrong as it’s not converting to .neo

Thanks

You don't convert neobuilderUI.exe into .neo format. You run neobuilderUI.exe and convert Neo Geo ROMs into .neo format.

Troll? Quite likely at this stage.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
so, did Terraonion ever resolve the flickering pixel issue? I fired up my AES for the first time in a while and I'm still seeing this problem on and off...they did send me new firmware last year which helped somewhat but it's still there. what is actually causing this to occur I wonder...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
so, did Terraonion ever resolve the flickering pixel issue? I fired up my AES for the first time in a while and I'm still seeing this problem on and off...they did send me new firmware last year which helped somewhat but it's still there. what is actually causing this to occur I wonder...

I encountered this issue once and it turned out to be the power supply. I also formatted my sd card. What steps have you taken?

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
hi mate, I know its not the SD card as it works on my friends MVS neosd. for the power supply I use the UK Megadrive 1 with the Japanese Neo 3-6 board...would using an MD1 supply cause issues like this as I know using this supply is common amongst people in the UK. my official games work perfect too.

I read on the Terraonion forum about some neo geo boards having slightly different chip sets and have a timing difference or something along those lines

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
hi mate, I know its not the SD card as it works on my friends MVS neosd. for the power supply I use the UK Megadrive 1 with the Japanese Neo 3-6 board...would using an MD1 supply cause issues like this as I know using this supply is common amongst people in the UK. my official games work perfect too.

I read on the Terraonion forum about some neo geo boards having slightly different chip sets and have a timing difference or something along those lines

Correct, Not all Neo Geo boards are created equal and what works on your friends console, might not work on yours. If you have the newer Pro-Pow3 Neo's, a fully functional Genny psu should work. Have you tried reformatting your sd card and installing everything again from scratch. Have you also tried a different Power Supply to see if it does the same thing. Also, trying a different card wouldn't hurt just to make sure it's really not the card. What card are you using?

I've never had any issues with Sandisk name brand cards. I have had issues with Samsung Cards though.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Correct, Not all Neo Geo boards are created equal and what works on your friends console, might not work on yours. If you have the newer Pro-Pow3 Neo's, a fully functional Genny psu should work. Have you tried reformatting your sd card and installing everything again from scratch. Have you also tried a different Power Supply to see if it does the same thing. Also, trying a different card wouldn't hurt just to make sure it's really not the card. What card are you using?

I've never had any issues with Sandisk name brand cards. I have had issues with Samsung Cards though.

Cool, I have tried multiple MD1 power supplies. The card I have is a SanDisk too so good quality. I'll try and different card etc and see what happens.thanks.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
Cool, I have tried multiple MD1 power supplies. The card I have is a SanDisk too so good quality. I'll try and different card etc and see what happens.thanks.

So to update, i gave the neosd a proper clean and loads of black gunk came off...played two games and both ran perfect. Then I turned the machine off and on and on turf masters I got a few shimmering pixels again. Really bizarre how its so on and off. It has to be something to do with the power if restarting the system changes it. Blooming weird

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Sorry only checked EU plug, just contact them if they can make you one with an UK plug.

gamelife00

Rugal's Thug
to give a little update, I finally was able to get one of those plugs and gave it a try last night. seems to have got rid of the flickering pixels but I did have instances where I didn't see them using the MD1 supply too.

maybe to steady regulated power keeps the Neo sd running more smoothly.

will have to play on a bit more until I know for sure.

rich.