NEOSD AES Support thread !

Sceptre_JLRB

Not so MEGA, eh?
Neither paella (from Valencia) nor gazpacho (from Córdoba, mine), but... Pulpo a la gallega ('octopus to the Galician')!!!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
IF... I wanted this to be a thread in the International forums...

I would've moved it...

...THINK on it... dumbasses....

xROTx

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Is there a link for step by step instructions on how to get the roms on the cart properly for technically challenged people like myself?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Is there a link for step by step instructions on how to get the roms on the cart properly for technically challenged people like myself?

Yes...

Go to THIS link... http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ort-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

Download the FIRST File...

Come to chat... or ONE time PM... for password...

Extract (Using 7-zip for Windoze PC's... Macs are different...)...

Copy and past onto 16GB Micro SD card...

Fuckin' Done...

xROTx

PS. I still don't believe after 6 months I still have to tell people this...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Refresh ;)

You got us working on it ...

Downloaded the update, and read the whatsnew file. Cool new features, thanks for the hard work. One question: are the softdips saved when you choose them for every game? if so, are they restored automatically when the game starts again?

Thanks!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Downloaded the update, and read the whatsnew file. Cool new features, thanks for the hard work. One question: are the softdips saved when you choose them for every game? if so, are they restored automatically when the game starts again?

Thanks!

When you edit the softdips of the current loaded game, they are updated in the MVS backup ram (and in the SD file) so they take effect immediately. When you edit the softdips of a game that is not loaded, they are stored in the SD, and when you load the game, they will be updated in the MVS backup ram.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
When you edit the softdips of the current loaded game, they are updated in the MVS backup ram (and in the SD file) so they take effect immediately. When you edit the softdips of a game that is not loaded, they are stored in the SD, and when you load the game, they will be updated in the MVS backup ram.

Thanks neodev, that was what I was really hoping. One more question that just occured to me: is there any way to return to the previous firmware version of my neosd if for any crazy reason I want/need to? I know there should be no reason for that, but some times it is needed...

Thanks!

Edit: I think I found my own answer: the update procedure TXT file says that regular update can only update firmware to higher versions, whereas the forced one works with higher or equal versions of firmware, so it seems there is no going back. Anyway, will update to 1.06, thanks!!

Edit2: I was wrong, see neodev's post below.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer

Thanks!

I think the changelog is larger, but we have done so many firmware updates since the 1.05 public one (i would say more than 100 versions) that we don´t remember when we added or fixed a function.

Thanks

neodev

Neosd Tech
Thanks neodev, that was what I was really hoping. One more question that just occured to me: is there any way to return to the previous firmware version of my neosd if for any crazy reason I want/need to? I know there should be no reason for that, but some times it is needed...

Thanks!

Yes, it's possible to return to a previous version, but you can't use an ordinary update file, as those only allow to update. We need to send you a special firmware so neosd accepts it as a downgrade firmware.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Yes, it's possible to return to a previous version, but you can't use an ordinary update file, as those only allow to update. We need to send you a special firmware so neosd accepts it as a downgrade firmware.

Very nice neodev, not that I foresee needing it, but it's always nice to have a safety net when playing with expensive toys, LOL.

Thanks!

neodev

Neosd Tech
Very nice neodev, not that I foresee needing it, but it's always nice to have a safety net when playing with expensive toys, LOL.

Thanks!

The cart also has a "safe mode" update, in case anything was wrong with the update and it doesn't boot, you can re-flash it even if the cart doesn't boot. It's explained in the readme inside the firmware zip, but I expect noone need to use it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The cart also has a "safe mode" update, in case anything was wrong with the update and it doesn't boot, you can re-flash it even if the cart doesn't boot. It's explained in the readme inside the firmware zip, but I expect noone need to use it.

Just FYI: successfully updated my neosd to latest version 1.06. Verified versions (MCU, PROG and CHA) and all match. I used the MVS neosd on an AES, through a Daedalus converter. I know converters are not supported, but it's nice for me knowing that it worked flawlessly.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
@ neosd,i have found maybe something on game id=0270 samurai shodown V special.
i play it on neo geo aes-unibios 3.3 and console is on region usa and console mode.
the neosd aes is on version 1.06 r10
its a flickering problem in the intro screen,pic and video availlable,i don't know its normal.
its most visible in the yellow.
other games seems fine,gona test some more games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODt26TROV5c&feature=youtu.be
can someone else check that problem,its not perfect quality,but i can see the white glitching in the intro.
also tested the crc,all ok.

i see its also on mame with this game,so this could be normal.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
@ neosd,i have found maybe something on game id=0270 samurai shodown V special.
i play it on neo geo aes-unibios 3.3 and console is on region usa and console mode.
the neosd aes is on version 1.06 r10
its a flickering problem in the intro screen,pic and video availlable,i don't know its normal.
its most visible in the yellow.
other games seems fine,gona test some more games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODt26TROV5c&feature=youtu.be
can someone else check that problem,its not perfect quality,but i can see the white glitching in the intro.
also tested the crc,all ok.

i see its also on mame with this game,so this could be normal.

I mentioned this before. Usually reseating the cart and reflashing the Rom fixes the problem. I had it with Samsho 3 at the intro screen and could see pixels pop up. Even in the background during matches I could see random pixels pop up.

Check post #142

Edit:

If you see it in Mame than it's normal

Last edited:

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
yep,tried latest mame and loaded same game on it,same flicker there.
so i assume its normal,for the rest its works fantastic and is stable.
i don't flash many games,tryed 4 or so,gona play them for long time so i can enjoy the game.
if mor things come up i will post it here.
about your post #142,maybe more people have this?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
yep,tried latest mame and loaded same game on it,same flicker there.
so i assume its normal,for the rest its works fantastic and is stable.
i don't flash many games,tryed 4 or so,gona play them for long time so i can enjoy the game.
if mor things come up i will post it here.
about your post #142,maybe more people have this?

Yes a few people had the same thing happen. After that day I never had a issue again. Could be a hardware or power issue that might have caused the problem.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i measured the psu,seems between 11.70-11.80
the black probe goes inside the psu pin and the red probe on the outside of the pin.
is this correct?

Last edited:

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
First time I ran CRC check on CTHD with FW 1.06R10 (as it didn't work before on NeoSD.AES) and it does not pass, half the memory banks pass, half do not. (I have Uni 3.2 on my AES)
[to be fair I loaded CTHD, then wanting to mess up with the region/mode in Uni and by mistake pressed the CRC feature ..... but hey something I didn't expect/know came out]

I know CTHD is a hack so maybe that's why, or maybe to make it work on the AES NeoSD has to patch it as it loads it, dunno.
Just thought of asking here to make sure it's a known no-issue.

neodev

Neosd Tech
First time I ran CRC check on CTHD with FW 1.06R10 (as it didn't work before on NeoSD.AES) and it does not pass, half the memory banks pass, half do not. (I have Uni 3.2 on my AES)
[to be fair I loaded CTHD, then wanting to mess up with the region/mode in Uni and by mistake pressed the CRC feature ..... but hey something I didn't expect/know came out]

I know CTHD is a hack so maybe that's why, or maybe to make it work on the AES NeoSD has to patch it as it loads it, dunno.
Just thought of asking here to make sure it's a known no-issue.

Yes, that's not an issue. If you look at mame code, you'll notice cthd is full of patches to workaround issues with that game (probably the control chip patches data on the fly and it's incomplete), also in order to make it run on an aes, it requires patching the backup ram check protection. It's the only way as aes doesn't have a backup ram and there is no way we could pass it by programming changes in the fpga.
Also, I suppose unibios is using actual cthd crcs, and not checking against the original game.

Tl;dr; cthd crc check fail is expected.

neodev

Neosd Tech
i measured the psu,seems between 11.70-11.80
the black probe goes inside the psu pin and the red probe on the outside of the pin.
is this correct?

That's ok. It will be regulated internally to 5v, so it's not an issue. Voltage ripple is more important.but as RAZ_HOE said, if you see them also in mame, it's not a hwrdware glitch, but a software bug of the original game.