NEOSD AES Support thread !

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Is the new bios for the NGCD just a drop in or do I need to unzip? Also Is it 100% compatibility for the NGCD roms?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Your CD images need to be unzipped (if zipped) and in a dir named after the neo. You need the full images also with audio tracks included and not just the first track with data files.

phoenixdownita

Cheng's Errand Boy
Your CD images need to be unzipped (if zipped) and in a dir named after the neo. You need the full images also with audio tracks included and not just the first track with data files.

Awesome work Raz, this is truly something else .... do you/Terraonion plan on supporting all of the 101 NGCD releases or just the 25 available now?
Also in your opinion how far off is the music from CDDA quality?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I think first any bugs need to be ironed out (there are some known issues). Then maybe I'll get some time to create some more neos. With priority to get the games with extras over the cart based games first. The biggest difference in audio quality is that the Stereo is mixed down to mono. Apart from that the audio quality is really great. You can finally play Zintrick and Crossed Swords 2 with the matching audio (I know some did not like my conversion used CS1 audio). Considering no extra Audio hardware was used I think getting CDDA audio playing at all on a stock MVS / AES is quite something.

pva

Mega Shock!!
Awesome work Raz, this is truly something else .... do you/Terraonion plan on supporting all of the 101 NGCD releases or just the 25 available now

I agree, amazing work, Raz! Will the NGCD version of Last Hope be supported? I have a copy I bought together with some soundtracks that I'd like to play on real hardware, but buying a console just for a single game has seemed a little... excessive.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Thanks for doing this Razoola and TerraOnion. This is a pretty niche feature to add and I think a lot of companies in this space wouldn't have done it. I friggin love it. Playing Metal Slug combat school right now.

I did notice some sound glitches in Metal Slug, whenever you move between menus there's a loud "blip" sound.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks for doing this Razoola and TerraOnion. This is a pretty niche feature to add and I think a lot of companies in this space wouldn't have done it. I friggin love it. Playing Metal Slug combat school right now.

I did notice some sound glitches in Metal Slug, whenever you move between menus there's a loud "blip" sound.

Can you make a small video of that blip please?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Thats weird. What kind of CD image files are you using? Make sure its not with WAV files or MP3. Make the image into ccd, cue, img, sub.

gamerwhat

Mr. Big's Thug
How does saving work with CD games, including ones that originally don't save hiscore? Also is there access to softdips?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There is no unibios hiscore saving with CD games and all CD games should use the SDcard and not touch any memory card if inserted into the AES.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Thats weird. What kind of CD image files are you using? Make sure its not with WAV files or MP3. Make the image into ccd, cue, img, sub.

Ah ok, I was using wav files. I'll give ccd/cue/img/sub a shot.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Ah ok, I was using wav files. I'll give ccd/cue/img/sub a shot.

Using ccd/cue/img/sub with Metal Slug has lots of static play whenever a sound effect plays. Possibly a bad rip? Using the new 200619 neo files.

EDIT: I went and played some last blade CD, then came back to metal slug and now it plays totally fine. Played right up to Morden without any issues.

If I ever get the staticky sound effects again I'll make a video.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There are some known issues with CDDA sound but there should be on problems with sound fx.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
50 CD games now supported, thanks Razoola!

https://twitter.com/terraonion/status/1143181666598445056

No KOF yet, hoping they can get added.

Code:
  mslugcd.neo             
  adkworld.neo            
  aof2cd.neo              
  aofcd.neo               
  bjourneycd.neo          
  cdspecial.neo           
  cswords2.neo            
  fromance2.neo           
  gowcaizrcd.neo          
  ironcladcd.neo          
  kof96c.neo              
  lastbladcd.neo          
  lastbld2cd.neo          
  lresortcd.neo           
  mslug2cd.neo            
  puzzledcd.neo           
  samsho2cd.neo           
  samsho3cd.neo           
  samsho4cd.neo           
  samshocd.neo            
  socbrawlcd.neo          
  ssrpg.neo               
  turfmastcd.neo          
  wjammerscd.neo          
  zintrick.neo            
  ralchase.neo            
  wh1cd.neo               
  2020bbcd.neo            
  burningfcd.neo          
  crswordcd.neo           
  gpilotscd.neo           
  lbowlingcd.neo          
  fbfrenzycd.neo          
  cyberlipcd.neo          
  bstars2cd.neo           
  alpham2cd.neo           
  mahretsucd.neo          
  janshincd.neo           
  moshougicd.neo          
  pbobblencd.neo          
  viewpoincd.neo          
  mutnatcd.neo            
  nam1975cd.neo           
  ncombatcd.neo           
  ncommandcd.neo          
  pspikes2cd.neo          
  superspycd.neo          
  ssidekicd.neo           
  sengokucd.neo           
  ridherocd.neo

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
No KOF yet, hoping they can get added.

TerraOnion said on Twitter: "The larger games require more memory address remapping therefor require more time to prepare. In time there will be all of them available."

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I did not know about this amazing CD support! I think it deserves to be split out into its own thread.

So is the CD audio conversion being accomplished by some special hardware in the NeoSD Pro?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I did not know about this amazing CD support! I think it deserves to be split out into its own thread.

So is the CD audio conversion being accomplished by some special hardware in the NeoSD Pro?

Knowing you, this needs to be said. The cd audio is in mono not stereo.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Knowing you, this needs to be said. The cd audio is in mono not stereo.
I read that already. Considering the ADPCM capabilities of the system, it's to be expected. Impressions of the sound quality seem to be good, so I'm very interested in hearing it for myself. The fact that it works at all is practically a miracle, and Raz once again must be commended for his work.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
The actual audio streaming side of it is all neodevs work. I can't take any credit for that. It is really quite impressive.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Wow, so I guess it's converting the audio files to ADPCM on the fly and loading into memory. Pretty amazing where they've taken the console.