Blazing Star MVS with scratchy sound effects

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I just got this game and the audio is jacked for sound effects, music is not fine as the volume changes, play wise game is fine.

I thought cleaning would do good, twice, nope.

Went to mvs-scans and looked at the board pics. I have set 1 and I've noticed something is missing.

Top left center area JV14 is missing a small black resistor marked 000. Everything on this board otherwise and on board 2 line up 1:1. It doesn't look like it was ever there as I don't anything different than the other usually empty spots unless it was left off at the factory on accident.

http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/File:Blazing_star_set1_b1_front.jpg

I can't fix this. I don't have the tools, experience at this fine of level, or the part either. Do I just send this back or see if someone can fix it if this is in fact causing the problem.

Edit: I read over through arcade otaku forums someone had this problem with LB2. They said clearing the backup ram in the system cleaned it up after 3 times cleaning the pins and it worked. I tried it and it did clear up the static at first but as I went through about 2/3 of stage 1 is slowly started to return.

Is there anything I can do about this or just send it back? I mean it's pretty pathetic my bootleg 161in1 doesn't do this.

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
That 000 resistor is actually a jumper, but shouldn't have any effect on the board as there are no chips up there.

I've run into a lot of carts with sounds issues, and always follow these steps:

Step 1: Clean contacts thoroughly and test the cart on different mobos. If the problem persists, see step 2.
Step 2: Reflow M1 and all V Roms. If not fixed, see step 3.
Step 3: Pull M1 and all V roms off board. Using eprom programmer, compare against the mame set. If any fail, replace them. If all good, see step 4.
Step 4: Find comparable known working prog donor board (Jamma Nation X has a full list of boards) and replace all chips. This will confirm if it is a PCM issue.

If you don't have the equipment/skills/time/know-how to do these steps, you're probably better off contacting the seller for a refund.

I mean it's pretty pathetic my bootleg 161in1 doesn't do this.

Welcome to the world of 20+ year old games. These games have been used and abused much more than a brand new multi out of China.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't beyond the first 2 steps and I'd need help with the 2nd if it came to the PCM chip as the leads are tinier than I can handle. I contacted the guy and he seems pretty remorseful and surprised but it had been stored for over a year as he sold off his cabinet. Looks like the best option will end up with me losing a good deal on a kit and returning it.

I think you got it with the used and abused bit. I'd think they're likely due to size and complexity just more fragile than your off the shelf basic NES cart that is over 30 years old now as they can take one hell of a beating and work. This one looks clean and pfft, busted.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'd keep trying a little more before returning it, since you had it working for a while. Make sure to clean both the cart and the system.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I tried more but ultimately I got those pins as shiny and clean as new aside from just the natural scrape marks you get from pin on pin connector there and it did no help. Flushing the save ram of the cabinet was what cleared the audio up, but after a restart of the cabinet it was back to sucking so that wasn't very useful or practical either.

The guy will have it back in two days. He said he has no use for it so I left him an option. If he can find someone in his area to fix it I'd be willing off ebay (to save him fees) but still through paypal to renegotiate another price on it and buy it back again if I haven't come across another in the mean time.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Sometimes the boards can just die from age (factory defects that manifest over time), other times it can be the result of poor storage (humidity, etc), or even poor handling (over voltage from faulty power supplies). Compared to an NES cart, and mvs cart would typically see significantly more play time in a much harsher environment, it makes sense to run into more dud carts.