Thinking about getting my TV mounted to the wall, lots o questions....

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So I don't want to do this myself...just wanna hire someone to do it.

So there is Geek Squad at Best Buy - are they as incompetent as I think they might be?

Any other known alternatives other than searching Craigslist or something?

What about equipment...any suggestions there?

I know I don't want a pivoting/adjustable bracket...just something simple.

I want cables embedded in the wall as well...alhough my tv is kinda weird...it has a single cord that goes to a box where all the traditional HDMI inputs are - and that would remain in my console. So basically I only would have 2 cables hidden - the power one and the single cord going to the input box.

I talked about this with Best Buy and they said (depending on the equipment I chose), could be around $500. But the guy available didn't seem to know anything and I was in a rush so couldn't wait to speak to the more knowledgeable guy to be free.

Anyways...should I avoid BB at all costs? Does $500 seem reasonable? What equipment/brands should I be considering. I want something good quality...but simple.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Peace!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Get an electrician to run the power and AV from point a (where tv mounts) to point b ( where all the inputs are required) and get the tv mounted in the same job. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours for a sparky to get that sorted.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yeah that's a good point, a decent electrician could prolly handle the whole shebang.

Any massholes got any recommendations on local electricians?

I just looked on craigslist and there is like a bajillion guys there. I think my bro has a subscription to angieslist, could check there as well.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
There's zero need to waste $500 for the idiots at BB to mount your TV. I have mounted a couple of TVs and it's not a big deal. You just need some basic tools; if you don't have them you probably should get them anyway. Harbor Freight can hook you up with the tools and the TV mount on the cheap. There's also monoprice for wall mounts. No need for an electrician if you have power outlets near enough. A drywall saw and cutout boxes will take care of routing the cables. You could also use some surface mount to run the cables, then paint to match the wall, if you don't want to alter the wall or if they are plaster.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
holy crap I just checked both Harbor Freight and Monoprice....had no idea the mounts were that cheap. Thanks for the good suggestions! Yeah, I had thought about doing a surface mount, I may go that route if I try doing this myself.

I need to look into this.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
man all you need is a stud finder, drill, 2" hex bit deck screws, tape measure, pencil and some 2x4s. you dont even need a saw because home depot will cut the 2x4s for you if you give them the measurements.

Figure out where you are putting the bracket. Mark the wall with a pencil, mark the wall where the holes to screw in the bracket is.

Then use the stud finder to see where the framing studs in your wall are mark those, now you are gonna screw in the new 2x4s flat against the wall, into the wall studs, make sure you are using the hex bit deck screws they are much easier to work with than philips head.

Those 2x4s are what you are going to screw the TV bracket into, one screw holds like 200 pounds so you will be fine as long as you use more than 2 screws (use alot more than 2 screws). Make sure you are screwing into the fucking wall framing studs overwise your TV will fall you with tear a hole in the sheetrock. .. Thats it. Plus you have tools now like true men do.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
nigga do NOT hire fools off craigslist

you will get your house robbed

TonK

Least Valuable Player
$500 to mount a tv on the wall? Fuck that.

I'll do it for $150.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
man all you need is a stud finder, drill, 2" hex bit deck screws, tape measure, pencil and some 2x4s. you dont even need a saw because home depot will cut the 2x4s for you if you give them the measurements.

Figure out where you are putting the bracket. Mark the wall with a pencil, mark the wall where the holes to screw in the bracket is.

Then use the stud finder to see where the framing studs in your wall are mark those, now you are gonna screw in the new 2x4s flat against the wall, into the wall studs, make sure you are using the hex bit deck screws they are much easier to work with than philips head.

Those 2x4s are what you are going to screw the TV bracket into, one screw holds like 200 pounds so you will be fine as long as you use more than 2 screws (use alot more than 2 screws). Make sure you are screwing into the fucking wall framing studs overwise your TV will fall you with tear a hole in the sheetrock. .. Thats it. Plus you have tools now like true men do.

No need for the 2x4s, you can just mount the wall mount directly to your studs.

If you want to hide the wires (worth it), these kits do the trick and even handle power:

https://www.amazon.com/Datacomm-50-3323-WH-KIT-Panel-Organizer-Solution/dp/B001PB7UVA

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Even if you can only land one stud its fine, most mount kits have many pre-drilled holes for fixings (can always drill your own too...) and then for the other side of the mount you can use drywall anchors, there are ones big enough for the job. The main thing is that you catch at least one stud.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I got the swivel mounts from Monoprice. They are very heavy duty & good quality. I've installed 3 already in my home. I chose not to put a hole in the wall & just use cable hiders that stick to the wall. YOu can paint them too.

My old setup, see the cable hiders in the corner. Took me less then an hour. Just need a stud finder, drill, & ratchet. I did it myself but probably a lot easier if you have another person holding the mount as its pretty heavy.
DSC_0377_zps585fc72e.jpg

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Unless your TV weighs a ton it's an easy 1-2 man job, 500 dollars is fucking ridiculous, just make sure the mount you buy can support the weight of your TV, follow what everyone else here has said and you should be able to do it in less than an hour

I mean, I got my mount from Ikea and it's still going strong nearly five years later

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dat Red Tent...very nice.

Like HDRchump said, those strips to hide the wires are the easiest course of action, you're gonna need long cables for power and hdmi, no need to make a hole in the wall if it's too much of a hassle for you.

I ran a power cord all the way to the TV well concealed and plugged it up there rather than using the TV cord through the hiding strip as it's usually very short.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
This is an easy job!
I worked at a home improvement store for 8-9 years. My philosophy was try it, and only call a pro if you fuck up. I'd have tons of customers return tell me about their accomplishments.

All you need is a drill, a level, and drywall saw. Even if you don't hit a stud, today's LED televisions, are easily supported with drywall anchors.

As others noted, Monoprice.com and amazon.com are great places to get what you need. I've installed a few monoprice tv wall mounts, and they seem to be higher qualite than what I've picked up from amazon.
Monoprice is also similar to Amazon in that you get your products fast.

Goodluck!

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Monoprice is having a 15% off today only. Coupon code FUNDAY

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
drywall anchors are for stuff like curtain rods or a clock or something

the lateral 2x4s anchored into wall studs are so that you can mount the bracket exactly where you want it and it will be secure

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
you want to mount a television????????? a tv belongs on a god damn table, and underneath it there should be a fucking box that plays a goddamn video tape.now you shut the hell up and start thinking with your brain instead of your ass

Last edited:

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Like others have said it's really to that hard of a job to do. Also keep in mind your eye level where. Mounting. Some people mount over fire places and it looks cools but it puts a stain on your neck always having to look up.

Here is my setup

IMG_20170221_082710.jpg

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Like others have said it's really to that hard of a job to do. Also keep in mind your eye level where. Mounting. Some people mount over fire places and it looks cools but it puts a stain on your neck always having to look up.

Here is my setup

That subwoofer wire is shameful.