Gamestop stories?

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member

This reminds me of all the fun things we found in the expansion bay for the PS2 where the hard drive and network adapter would plug in when I worked there. We found a bag of pills, a bag of weed (which I was assured that a game advisor "flushed down the toilet" :-J when I was gone), a bunch of condoms . . . :keke: I have so many stories I need to share here. I worked there for 10 years. I was an assistant manager in a mall store and saw so many ridiculous things.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
ASM's represent!

Where'd you work?

That's right! ASM's did all the work at that place :) I worked at the West Acres Mall in Fargo, ND for almost the entire time and then I moved to a strip store super close by. I was very shocked they had two so close. The rent in the mall was so much more than the strip store and we did less business. I worked for the company up until the end of 2010.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I was very shocked they had two so close.

One of the malls around here used to have 2 locations in the mall with another one in a strip mall across the parking lot. But now the quieter of the 2 mall locations is gone as is the one across the parking lot. They just kept the one in the mall that was closest to the food court as it was always busier than the other 2.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
One of the malls around here used to have 2 locations in the mall with another one in a strip mall across the parking lot. But now the quieter of the 2 mall locations is gone as is the one across the parking lot. They just kept the one in the mall that was closest to the food court as it was always busier than the other 2.

There was always talk of the mall one shutting down each year and we just kept going. They are still open to this day surprisingly. I wonder if they ever fixed the air conditioning. We had the same cooling system from since the mall was opened. It broke down all the time. When I started there originally it was a Software Etc. They finally got new carpet, but they still have the purple Software Etc./Babbages walls lol. It was a much cooler place to work back in the old days before it was a GameStop. No subscription and reserve pressure BS. PC had a bigger presence back then too. We didn't really carry parts but I was able to order a graphics card from another store. I wonder how long it will stay open in the mall as GameStop as a company continues to decline.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Just found a web page with a bunch of GameStop stories from employees. Could be bullshit, I don't know, but some of them are pretty amusing:

bad trade story.jpg

creepy old man story.jpg

female employee story.jpg

iphone kid story.jpg

latino kid story.jpg

nintendo ds misunderstanding story.jpg

ps4 return story.jpg

smash brothers story.jpg

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
That first story talks about hitting a couple of keys on the POS to send a notification to all other GameStop locations to ban him from trading . . . I've never heard of that. I quit working there in October of 2010. Maybe there was something that changed, but it sounds like BS to me. It's hard to call BS on any of the other stories considering how stupid people were that came in when I worked there. I'll have to write up some of my stories soon and put them on here.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I was hired at GameStop a couple of years ago. At the time, I was taking several college courses. Well, I told GameStop that three days a week I had to go to school. I come in for my first day of training at GameStop and they had scheduled me ONLY ON THE DAYS THAT I COULDNT WORK. I said "hey I gave you my availability online and written down in person and you guys said my part time schedule would be fine". Their reply was..

"Sorry for wasting your time, have a nice day"

What a shitty disorganized company

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I was hired at GameStop a couple of years ago. At the time, I was taking several college courses. Well, I told GameStop that three days a week I had to go to school. I come in for my first day of training at GameStop and they had scheduled me ONLY ON THE DAYS THAT I COULDNT WORK. I said "hey I gave you my availability online and written down in person and you guys said my part time schedule would be fine". Their reply was..

"Sorry for wasting your time, have a nice day"

What a shitty disorganized company

To be fair, that's mostly on that store's shitty store manager. I worked at one while I went to grad school and my boss was actually really cool about only scheduling me when I told him I could work.

Re: those stories- the creepy old man one is clearly bullshit, and the one about blocking the customer from trading isn't true, either, as has been mentioned, but pretty much all of the others ring pretty true to what I saw there, save for maybe the female employee one.

Last edited:

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
GameStop CEO resigns after three months, shares drop

Made a purchase there a few weeks ago after a long hiatus and got Wild Guns Remastered for the Switch as I thought this was the only place carrying the physical release. Went in, was asked what I wanted, got it, "last copy," and left. Pretty painless but I try and stay away from this place.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

Made a purchase there a few weeks ago after a long hiatus and got Wild Guns Remastered for the Switch as I thought this was the only place carrying the physical release. Went in, was asked what I wanted, got it, "last copy," and left. Pretty painless but I try and stay away from this place.

GameStop and The Exchange are both within walking distance from me, I prefer to go to The Exchange just so I don’t have to deal with pushy sales pitches and upsells.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

He lasted as long as the average employee.

EDIT: I didnt know Paul Raines died. Fuck that stupid bitch.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Every time I am in a Gamestop and other people are around, I make a point to go to the Nintendo section and talk to myself about the latest Donkey Dong game.