Gamestop stories?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
My experiences with GameStop have generally been very good (and I've been buying from them since the FuncoLand days). They screwed up a recent online order I placed and sent me two incorrect games (NDS Touchmaster 1 instead of Touchmaster 3 and the Autobot version of Transformers Revenge of the Fallen instead of the Decepticon version), but that's the only time in my life that's ever happened, so, I chock it up to a one-off bad experience (plus Touchmaster 1 is awesome, so they probably did me a favor).

I have noticed that their online customer service response time has been pretty slow lately (around a month to get a reply, but they do get back to you and resolve things), but I've never had a problem with in-person dealings with my local store's staff. I also only buy games, I've never sold them any, so I can't speak to those policies.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
We're only it in for the money / to dip our fingers in your honey / we pretend to no end / We are bitches for your riches. - KMFDM "Bitches"

Reading some of these stories reminds me of that song.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
We're only it in for the money / to dip our fingers in your honey / we pretend to no end / We are bitches for your riches. - KMFDM "Bitches"

Reading some of these stories reminds me of that song.

And yet you still fucking shop and trade your games there. :oh_no:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
greg probably has a pretty girl working at that gamestop and he probably goes in, browses for games looking like a fucking dust bunny, stares at her, tries to talk to her about a game or a CD, gets cold shoulder, goes home...listens to KMFDM..... yeah

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
And yet you still fucking shop and trade your games there. :oh_no:

I haven't set foot in a Gamestop in months. I go to a local store to sell my stuff. I did pre-order online for the bonus pouch for Dragon Quest 8.

Don't lie, Sylvie - you listen to KMFDM too.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Gamestop is not quite as good as EB games once was obviously but I like to window shop sometimes just to see what's out there on systems I don't follow. I worked at a EB games back in the 90s and it was pretty fun. Lots of free swag to take home like preorder bonuses for people that never got picked up. They would also dump old inventory by dropping the price to a penny so I was able to get lots of stuff for basically free. We had an import section but prices on those never got super cheap they would get shipped off to better stores I suppose? We would get spiffs for selling extended warranties and certain strategy guides so we really pushed that stuff but not to the point of being an asshole. Those displayers some people mentioned were awesome trade bait with other stores like the guys who worked in the arcade and this one dude at the pretzel shop. He would drop off a giant bag every night and we would hook him up with anything he wanted. All magazines we sold to were not in inventory as when they were old we would throw them away for next months issue. Pretty nice mags back then like die hard game fan, EGM, etc..
Was also nice that they let us take any games home to try so we could talk about them with the customers, nothing quite as nice as getting a game before street date and beating it before most people could even buy it.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I haven't set foot in a Gamestop in months. I go to a local store to sell my stuff. I did pre-order online for the bonus pouch for Dragon Quest 8.

Don't lie, Sylvie - you listen to KMFDM too.

Yeah, months. You posted about it the last time you went, which was like just this last November, maybe even December? :oh_no:

You know how long it's been since I stepped foot in one of those shitholes? Close to 10 years.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Sylvie - you listen to KMFDM too.

I haven't voluntarily listened to KFMDM in 5 years or more, making me about 19 the last time I did. I remember the specific time because I was trying to find one particular song

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
The only time I ever buy anything at GS is when there is a new Skylanders Dark Edition my boy wants. Beyond that, the only thing I can remember is buying Vanquish for ten bucks(I think) a few years ago. The last time I went in there I asked for a game, they said they didn't have it. Almost immediately I ask if he can check any other stores, and he pulls some serious attitude about already checking, eyes rolling, typical bitch tude. I shut that shit down immediately, jumping right back on his shit about his attitude, and me simply asking a question. I understand that these people get treated like shit, and everyone has a bad day, but getting talked to like that after dealing with all there other little annoyances, I won't be going back. Thank god my son is starting to lose his desire to play Skylanders

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I haven't voluntarily listened to KFMDM in 5 years or more, making me about 19 the last time I did. I remember the specific time because I was trying to find one particular song

Stop lying about your age. We know you're 40!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My sense of time is severely distorted from the days back when I was a street fighter and took many punches and kicks and suplexes to the head - but there was a time many moons ago when Gamestop was awesome...maybe around '02 or '03???

I got so many great classic NES and SNES games in their buy 2 get 1 free sales. There was even a time when before they started tossing cases and you could stock up on boxed genesis games.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
My sense of time is severely distorted from the days back when I was a street fighter and took many punches and kicks and suplexes to the head - but there was a time many moons ago when Gamestop was awesome...maybe around '02 or '03???

I got so many great classic NES and SNES games in their buy 2 get 1 free sales. There was even a time when before they started tossing cases and you could stock up on boxed genesis games.

I missed the boat on the 16-bit stuff, but I cleaned up on the PS1 games.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Even now Gamestop has it's moments - you just need to manage your expectations and know what you are getting there. Set the bar low and you can have some happy time there.

For people who are late to the party on a lot of things, like me, they can be pretty cool...like 3 for $10 PS3 or 360 games. Yeah they might be gunked up cases or not really shelf worthy...but whatever, I don't care about that this stage in my life. I never had a situation where I bought a game from them and it didn't work, maybe I'm just lucky. I got so many cheap PS3 games there it is not even funny...the Uncharted games, Killzone, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Batman games, God of War etc.

Maybe you can find them as cheap on ebay, but I don't have the patience for that crap. I'd say I hate ebay more than Gamestop.

Besides, nothing nicer than just randomly popping into the store and getting surprised and walking out with a couple of games for the cost of the spare change in your pocket.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
We don't have Gamestop in the UK, just GAME, CEX and Smack Generator. There's nothing quite like trading in a pile of Sudoku DS games inside an armpit where Evanescence plays on repeat.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
We don't have Gamestop in the UK, just GAME, CEX and Smack Generator. There's nothing quite like trading in a pile of Sudoku DS games inside an armpit where Evanescence plays on repeat.

In downtown Boston, there's a CEX right next to a Gamestop.

Your description is accurate.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
In downtown Boston, there's a CEX right next to a Gamestop.

Your description is accurate.

haha, that's not too far away from where I work.

I've been there a couple of times but I don't think I've ever bought anything from them before though.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
haha, that's not too far away from where I work.

I've been there a couple of times but I don't think I've ever bought anything from them before though.

I dunno if he still works there, but one of my old GS employee's was/is employed at that CEX.

That should tell you the caliber of people I worked with.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nothing exciting ever happens to me in GameStop, so here's a couple of things I observed recently:

1) Several weeks ago, there was this young couple in there, and she was bitching her man out for buying a new PS4 when they had "hundreds of dollars worth of bills" to pay. So, she rants for a while, and he keeps telling her to be quiet, and then they plunk the PS4 and a game down on the counter and SHE pays for it. WTF? Must be fun having a sugar mama . . .

2) Another day, there was a grown-ass man (late 20s/early 30s) in there getting his PS4 serviced (it froze up or something on him), who was being ferried around by his ancient Grand-ma-ma. His Grandma kept asking how long it was going to take and the GameStop employee assured her it was going to take some time to get things sorted out so it was fine for her to go shopping for a bit in another store and come back and pick up her grandson later. I'll give props to the guy though, he didn't seem to be the least bit embarrassed that Grandma was his personal chauffeur.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
2) Another day, there was a grown-ass man (late 20s/early 30s) in there getting his PS4 serviced (it froze up or something on him), who was being ferried around by his ancient Grand-ma-ma. His Grandma kept asking how long it was going to take and the GameStop employee assured her it was going to take some time to get things sorted out so it was fine for her to go shopping for a bit in another store and come back and pick up her grandson later. I'll give props to the guy though, he didn't seem to be the least bit embarrassed that Grandma was his personal chauffeur.

Are you sure she was his grandma and not his lover?