Gamestop stories?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Nah, it was his Grandma, he called her that several times, although I suppose that could just be their cover story when they're out in public, ya never know in this crazy world.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
There was a tennaged kid that would always come in with his mother - like, 2 or 3 times a week buying new games. The mother had some sort of traumatic brain injury at some point beforehand because she was always a little "slow on the take."

we all felt bad for her and looked at her son like a piece of shit. On more than one occasion he applied for a job and we put his app in the circular file (i.e., the trash).

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
We don't have Gamestop in the UK, just GAME, CEX and Smack Generator. There's nothing quite like trading in a pile of Sudoku DS games inside an armpit where Evanescence plays on repeat.
GameStop used to be in the uk. Last one was in Belfast, it shut down like 2012 I think. Now they still have a presence here in Ireland. Whereas GAME is nonexistent here, the last one of them here shut down around 2012 or something like that. I remember their staff members arranged a sit in at their Dublin stores because the company tried to cheap out on paying the employees.

It seems like a weird divorce where we got GameStop, the U.K. Got GAME, and no one is any better off

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I have not had a bad experience with gamestop, but then again I do not sell them shit.

I buy new games, unopened and earn their reward points and get free stuff like guides and accessories.

The used games are too much and if they pressure me to preorder something I tell them no, period.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I have not had a bad experience with gamestop, but then again I do not sell them shit.

I buy new games, unopened and earn their reward points and get free stuff like guides and accessories.

The used games are too much and if they pressure me to preorder something I tell them no, period.

RT: Who buys games new? I'm not talking new when the priced tanks, but release-day new? I can't be the only cheapskate.

Edit: And new at Gamestop?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
RT: Who buys games new? I'm not talking new when the priced tanks, but release-day new? I can't be the only cheapskate.

Yep still wrapped games. Yes I still get excited for upcoming games, plus preorder bonus and free shit.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Nah bro, your not the only one. I stopped buying new released games a long time ago. Just like I stopped buying newly released consoles.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Same here, I only make a few exceptions. I bought SFV and Nioh on release, ghats when its worth it for me 'cause I know I'm gonna play it on the spot and hopefully get hooked. Nioh has started doing that, SFV not so much, but I did play it for a while at the beggining. I'm a cheap fuck, so much that I cringe at the lowered prices after I bought a game at the 19.99 green light. That's for games I care about getting new or stikerless, lol. I do get some used games when buy 2 get one free are happening, but then only good stuff that's cheap. Revengeance was 8 bucks, how can you go wrong with that? Ninja Gaiden 3 RE is 13 or under everywhere, there's no excuse not to own it, go get busy folks.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Just picked up Ark and Souls games I will buy new. I fully intend on getting Ghost recon next month. Getting excited for games is still fun for me, just as much as playing them.

Just like getting something in the mail that you have wanted a new to you game works in that same aspect.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
As much as I love DarkSouls, I didn't get DS3, I will but I just don't see why get it on release when I haven't finished playing the first one. I've bee so hooked on it, did get DS2 SOTFS and Bloodborne 'cause they are cheap and new but I'm still not ready. ATM waiting for DS3 complete edition on the cheap and Witcher 3 CE on the cheap as well, might take a while though.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
As much as I love DarkSouls, I didn't get DS3, I will but I just don't see why get it on release when I haven't finished playing the first one. I've bee so hooked on it, did get DS2 SOTFS and Bloodborne 'cause they are cheap and new but I'm still not ready. ATM waiting for DS3 complete edition on the cheap and Witcher 3 CE on the cheap as well, might take a while though.

I think 2 was my favorite. That game just felt darker. Plus the difficulty was ramped up compared to how I felt about 3.

A little off subject, my apologies.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Its all good. I keep hearing mixed opinions about DS2, I'm so close to completing the first one...part of me wants to jump and start DS2 but I've made it this long, just a little more! I might play DS2 and Bloodborne simultaneously...well I'm playing Nioh and DS1 ATM, once I'm thru with one another will jump in. I'm also playing Castlevania LOS on the side, I already played and beat but I got it on steam for 5 bucks and it's one o my favorites. Another cheapster people can get now!

I'm also waiting on Doom to drop.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Its all good. I keep hearing mixed opinions about DS2, I'm so close to completing the first one...part of me wants to jump and start DS2 but I've made it this long, just a little more! I might play DS2 and Bloodborne simultaneously...well I'm playing Nioh and DS1 ATM, once I'm thru with one another will jump in. I'm also playing Castlevania LOS on the side, I already played and beat but I got it on steam for 5 bucks and it's one o my favorites. Another cheapster people can get now!

I'm also waiting on Doom to drop.

People can hate all they want but I freaking loved LoS. So fun, so good!

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
I dislike and have been through the same bullshit as previously stated in this thread. What I can't figure out is why don't they leave those cases they have out before the games comes out that they print the inserts in and then keep the new copies sealed behind the counter? Im weird about have beat up cases.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I dislike and have been through the same bullshit as previously stated in this thread. What I can't figure out is why don't they leave those cases they have out before the games comes out that they print the inserts in and then keep the new copies sealed behind the counter? Im weird about have beat up cases.

They sent you a specific allotment of blank, cheap DVD cases to use for marketing. Usually by the release date of a big title, the marketing cycle changed over and displays have to be re-worked/re-arranged/replaced with whatever the current planogram calls for. Asking for another case of blank DVD cases cuts into your P&L for the quarter (what type of bullshit is that?), so they'll try to have you grab excess from smaller stores (on your own time, of course).

Problem with those cases is that if you look at them wrong, they crumble like blue cheese.

It could be worse: a few years ago, the big marketing directive was to gut 6 copies of a new game to put into the "new Release" rows.

I would make the person ringing you up to write "opened copy" on the reciept and initial it, and make sure to let them know that youre going to return the game either for a refund or something else. Just keep in mind that if you exchange it, the reciept will have the retrun from the previous transaction, obsolving them from giving you a monetary refund. The most they'll do is store credit, if that.

If the employee doesn't want to give you the piece of mind of getting a refund or an exchange, then don't buy it. I can't tell you how many times I've said that to customers and they just dont listen.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
They sent you a specific allotment of blank, cheap DVD cases to use for marketing. Usually by the release date of a big title, the marketing cycle changed over and displays have to be re-worked/re-arranged/replaced with whatever the current planogram calls for. Asking for another case of blank DVD cases cuts into your P&L for the quarter (what type of bullshit is that?), so they'll try to have you grab excess from smaller stores (on your own time, of course).

Problem with those cases is that if you look at them wrong, they crumble like blue cheese.

It could be worse: a few years ago, the big marketing directive was to gut 6 copies of a new game to put into the "new Release" rows.

I would make the person ringing you up to write "opened copy" on the reciept and initial it, and make sure to let them know that youre going to return the game either for a refund or something else. Just keep in mind that if you exchange it, the reciept will have the retrun from the previous transaction, obsolving them from giving you a monetary refund. The most they'll do is store credit, if that.

If the employee doesn't want to give you the piece of mind of getting a refund or an exchange, then don't buy it. I can't tell you how many times I've said that to customers and they just dont listen.

I've wondered that about returns before. That is another big issue, maybe the biggest is you can't return the "new" games due to them being open before hand. They need a serious image consultant. Every business is after money but they don't even try to give it a positive spin for the consumer. It's really interesting

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Let me give some advice. DS 3 is a good game, but I wouldn't say it's great. To me Miyazaki's masterpieces are Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Bloodborne. DS2 and 3 you can literally live without. DS2 was a real disappointment for me.

My youtube channel is flooded with Bloodborne videos because Bloodborne is fantastic.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm still gonna go through the whole series, sometimes what clicks with some doesn't click with others. There are games I love that see a lot of criticism, not saying they're wrong and I'm right. I do take opinions into consideration but ultimately once I'm curious enough about a game I will try it and if it clicks then I'm hooked.

I guess is just a trial and error thing for me, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to DS2 and DS3 simply 'cause they still share similarities with DS and that's all I've played of the series so far but I really love this game, it truly is amazing. I'm excited for this genre because other companies are starting to copy DS, a lot! I've played Lords of the Fallen, I dunno, couldn't get into it, it felt cheap, not as in hard mind you.

I've been playing Nioh and it's so damn good, I still think DS is better but I've only cleared 3 missions and all submissions so it's early, I'm sure you already know how good it is. This makes me excited for Team Ninja, hoping for a proper Ninja Gaiden soon...

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I was killing time, distracting myself, out and about and decided to stop in the a GS and looked around. It's changed. They never used to have swag like backpacks and T-shirts and figures. I don't know if I like that or not. It seems like they're overpriced and a bad selection.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I was killing time, distracting myself, out and about and decided to stop in the a GS and looked around. It's changed. They never used to have swag like backpacks and T-shirts and figures. I don't know if I like that or not. It seems like they're overpriced and a bad selection.

Bad selection is right. A couple months ago I took my nephew in to get a Pop Vinyl figure, they had like 10 or so figures and like 6-7 copies of each.
My nephew wanted a Harry Potter figure, and dude there said, "Yeah we have that." Then went looking for it in three different sections of the store. He didn't find it, then said, "They must of sold it yesterday when I wasn't here. Yeah, it seems as if all the cool stuff has sold out."
I didn't really care because I'm not a fan of them. The dude then tells my nephew that he should pick up one of the figures they they have since the uncommon and unpopular stuff ends up being the rare and valuable stuff in the future.

I told the guy guy this stuff is not uncommon or rare siince you have 6 or 7 of each figure.

Last edited:

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
DS2 was a real disappointment for me.

I still say that DS2 had the best pvp of the series.
but yeah, it's definitely the weakest "campaign"

It really depends on the store, every store around me has 1 or 2 things of T-shirts, some little display bubble for a couple ridiculously pricey figures, some puzzle/poster/plushie section, and SO MUCH FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S SHIT.
but it really just amounts to one corner of the store, and maybe a clearance shelf, so I'm safe enough to ignore it.

The part where it gets to bugging me is when you go out to the West end of town, where the city is growing and there's new developments everywhere.
The gamestops out there are easily twice the size, and they choose not to fill the store with games, but with more ridiculous crap.
It's almost like thinkgeek just tossed all their overstock into these places - There's toys, keychains, mystery figure things, phone accessories, coffee mugs, so many t-shirts, and then there's things like a replica Mega Man buster or a health potion lamp.
Are they actually selling any of this?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
It really depends on the store, every store around me has 1 or 2 things of T-shirts, some little display bubble for a couple ridiculously pricey figures, some puzzle/poster/plushie section, and SO MUCH FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDY'S SHIT.
but it really just amounts to one corner of the store, and maybe a clearance shelf, so I'm safe enough to ignore it.

The part where it gets to bugging me is when you go out to the West end of town, where the city is growing and there's new developments everywhere.
The gamestops out there are easily twice the size, and they choose not to fill the store with games, but with more ridiculous crap.
It's almost like thinkgeek just tossed all their overstock into these places - There's toys, keychains, mystery figure things, phone accessories, coffee mugs, so many t-shirts, and then there's things like a replica Mega Man buster or a health potion lamp.
Are they actually selling any of this?
Honestly my old EB games had a lot of merch in the late 90s but it was all cool shit that I actually wanted. I wish they'd just stock the store with shit that didn't suck. Amiibos are like my lease favorite thing in the world right now since I like grabbing actual statues/figures... seeing these is like seeing only american cheese in a deli :'(

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Honestly my old EB games had a lot of merch in the late 90s but it was all cool shit that I actually wanted. I wish they'd just stock the store with shit that didn't suck. Amiibos are like my lease favorite thing in the world right now since I like grabbing actual statues/figures... seeing these is like seeing only american cheese in a deli :'(

Yea, I bought my pac man car dice at GS like 10 years ago. I welcome the swag but it's just mainstream junk that's overpriced.