What game are you best at

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Probably because X1 was the first X game on SNES and X4 was the first new one for PS1/Saturn. That horrible X3 port on Saturn doesn't count.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Probably because X1 was the first X game on SNES and X4 was the first new one for PS1/Saturn. That horrible X3 port on Saturn doesn't count.

never seen the saturn port of x3 in action. what was wrong with it?.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Neo Geo : Samurai Shodown 2 + Art of Fighting 2

In general: Quite good with the Tekken and Street Fighter series.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Are X & x4 the 2 easiest ones? Those happen to be the 2 I gravitate to when I need a Mega Man X fix. Never knew why I prefer those 2 in particular when I could play any of them (up to 6 I think).

I would go so far as to say that I find them all easy (except for the endgame in X6). It's really just that MMX is a master class in game design, and X4 was both the first time you properly got to play as Zero and a game I have emotional attachment to due to the circumstances of how I was finally able to get it.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm generally good at endless and simple arcade games from the 80's. Moon Patrol, Moon Cresta, Scramble, Pooyan, Galaga etc. Me against the CPU, Tron style ;).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
never seen the saturn port of x3 in action. what was wrong with it?.

The saturn port has large borders on the sides and thin ones on the top and bottom. I don't think there's anything else "wrong" with it aside from that. I couldn't stand it though and got rid of my copy for the playstation version which is borderless.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
The saturn port has large borders on the sides and thin ones on the top and bottom. I don't think there's anything else "wrong" with it aside from that. I couldn't stand it though and got rid of my copy for the playstation version which is borderless.

yeah i just watched a side to side comparison and those borders do look annoying. i guess if the borders were all black it would be so bad, but they went with a pattern that makes the game look like it's going on in the background.

fdasta0079

n00b

Weird, I wonder why. Normally I see that for performance reasons, but only in early 3D titles like the Doom ports.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Good idea for a thread.

One on one I'd pick Virtua Fighter 5 Final Mix. It's the only fighter that I generally consider myself "good" at.

It's a little more abstract but if team games are allowed I'd pick Paladins. I play healers and frontline, and so few people can play anything other than DPS in pickup games that it's easy to dominate the scoreboard (and also win the match) if you can play either competently.

fdasta0079

n00b
One on one I'd pick Virtua Fighter 5 Final Mix. It's the only fighter that I generally consider myself "good" at.

I just was playing this a bit over the weekend. It's pretty rad, but I'm pretty terrible.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Weird, I wonder why. Normally I see that for performance reasons, but only in early 3D titles like the Doom ports.

Yeah I'm not sure. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts on Saturn Capcom Generation 2 has the same borders. Playstation version doesn't.

Last edited:

fdasta0079

n00b
Yeah I'm not sure. Super Ghouls N' Ghosts on Saturn Capcom Generation 2 have the same borders. Playstation version doesn't.

Did some Googling for kicks. Apparently it's just down to shitty porting. The port still uses the SNES display code, and since the Saturn doesn't have a display mode that can draw lower than 320x240 and the original game was at 256x224, Capcom just chucked borders on it and called it a day. They likely did the same with the Super Ghouls N' Ghosts port.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Kinda weird the Sega Saturn can't do 256x224, lowest it will go is 320 x 224 which is why you see those borders. I think Symphony of the night does the opposite where it just stretches it to 320 x 224.

I never liked the X3 PS1/Saturn port other than the cutscenes and ending J-pop song. The sound effects are pretty bad and the remixes are mostly hit or miss (not like the og SNES was much better as it can get pretty repetitive) but I still like.

fdasta0079

n00b
Kinda weird the Sega Saturn can't do 256x224, lowest it will go is 320 x 224 which is why you see those borders. I think Symphony of the night does the opposite where it just stretches it to 320 x 224.

I tried thinking about what I would do after posting, and I'm not sure what the best route is. The borders look ugly, but stretching comes with its own issues. Coding up a software 256x224 mode would probably be out of the question due to the complexity involved, and redrawing the art would probably be prohibitively expensive for so small of a difference. There's also the option of recoding the game to just display more of the level, but then you run into the issue of certain sprites not being drawn large enough and getting cut off a-la what happens in Marvel VS Capcom 2 on the 360. It's a real pickle.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Did some Googling for kicks. Apparently it's just down to shitty porting. The port still uses the SNES display code, and since the Saturn doesn't have a display mode that can draw lower than 320x240 and the original game was at 256x224, Capcom just chucked borders on it and called it a day. They likely did the same with the Super Ghouls N' Ghosts port.

Ok. I think I've heard something along those lines way back before. Thanks.

I never liked the X3 PS1/Saturn port other than the cutscenes and ending J-pop song. The sound effects are pretty bad and the remixes are mostly hit or miss (not like the og SNES was much better as it can get pretty repetitive) but I still like.

I don't know why, but I really enjoy the novelty of playing 32-bit cdrom versions of SNES games on enemy hardware. The best part is, it's not like much time passed between the SFC release the SAT/PSX ports. Saturn, 4 months. PSX, 6. It's cool!

Of course playing the game on the SNES is the way to go, but I like doing both.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Yeah I also enjoy playing different versions of games on other systems, especially for games I enjoy. I just never liked the sound effects on the 32 bit, the music though is sometimes better.

I like the engrish they have for their names, doesn't beat untranslated romanji man boomer kuwanger though

Scissors Shrimper
Shining Tigero
electro namazuros
Screw Masider
explose horneck

If you ever get the chance, try the X3 Zero Rom hack. It attempts to fix some of the problems of X3. Zero is fully playable (unlike original where if he dies once gg or can't enter boss rooms) cutscene dialogue change when you're Zero, Can get upgrades as Zero and you can even be Black Zero from X4. I need to play it again as the guy has updated it even more.

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=11130.760

Last edited: