Should every American be allowed to vote?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So basically you agree that Kentucky should not be allowed to vote. I mean, you guys let McConnell in (who has focused so many Senate resolutions to strip minorities of the right to due process, and substantiated his Nay against DC statehood as a refusal to give 650000 blacks more voting power), and that rabid fucking racist moron is proof that Kentucky was either robbed of a legit vote, or that the voters are fucking, fucking, fucking (like incest level fucking) stupid. And if your knee jerk reaction is to disagree, go to work and look around and tell me you're not surrounded by people stupider than you.

And if you still disagree, read your posts again. Your post history is a testimony to how stupid your coworkers have been.

Sadly, I can agree with most of what you've got there.

I take it pretty seriously the right to vote. We're in a big fucking mess right now because of the election already and the year has just begun. It's not too bad for me because I do a lot of things that mitigate how my life gets affected by a lot of the shit that goes on but, I've no idea what goes on in the mind of the voters here.

I was having that same discussion with someone here locally when they were talking about voting. They vote for the same bastards every time and live in poverty so when I ask them how the system is working out for them and why they keep voting the same they just get angry at me? Its like some kind of cognitive dissonance.

I didn't vote for any fucker that is in office here and I knew going to the polling place that my vote would be worthless, but yet I went and did it with the slim hope that maybe enough people would have their head out of their ass this time around. Anyhow, we see how that worked out.

It's an issue of education I believe. Our system here is shitty as fuck state wide. In the cities and such it's better but across the board its not near what it should be. I don't feel we are teaching logic and critical thinking like we should have been, it's just learn these selected so called facts by rote and you get a passing grade. College here is a bit different and I won't bother with that animal at the moment.

I'm not sure what happened to people here that made so many of them content to live in poverty, to be proud of being ignorant, or to be just so over all narrow minded on things. (I can't even stress that last bit enough, even it gets to the point where restaurants that serve non mainstream foreign food just open and close because people aren't even willing to give them a try.) And I'm not just talking about us old white guys, it's the blacks too, no disrespect there but it's a culture thing not a race thing here.

Also, the whole issue with people seeing Christians as ignorant is a media push. I don't know anyone who is really someone I would consider a Christian who voted for our current administration. If you go back and look at his deeds from the past it's pretty clear he is only using religion for support and people are so blind that they don't look at the man but just hear him say Jesus is good, and rush to support him.

Ideologically and politically I don't fit in well here in Ky. So do I leave? What good would that do? I can stay and maybe change some peoples minds, maybe more people will move here and eventually we can get people to wake up. Running away to some place where people are like minded, just means once again my vote won't matter much because the mass majority will be voting the same. If nothing else I bring some political and ideological diversity to the community and try to share it when it's appropriate to do so.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of good things here so there is a lot of potential for this to be a great place in the future.

On a side note about old Mitch, looking at McConnell's record, I think he should be brought up on charges for treason. That's just my disgruntled opinion though, but there are a lot of things he has been behind that are the opposite of what this country stands for.

Okay, to add one last thing, If anyone here has ever read Starship Troopers, there is a lot in that book about social responsibility and morality that makes a lot of sense.

So no, I don't think every criminal should be allowed to vote once they have done their time. I don't think every citizen should be allowed to vote either. I think there should be a measure of social responsibility that a person must achieve to earn their right to vote. What right should a person have to decide what is good for the whole when they are only concerned for themselves. Everyone should be allowed to vote, and they should earn that right by acting in a responsible manner, or at the very least start out with the right and loose it for being socially detrimental, while having the ability to earn it back by returning to being member of society.

So to quote from there,

“Both for practical reasons and for mathematically verifiable moral reasons, authority and responsibility must be equal - else a balancing takes place as surely as current flows between points of unequal potential. To permit irresponsible authority is to sow disaster; to hold a man responsible for anything he does not control is to behave with blind idiocy. The unlimited democracies were unstable because their citizens were not responsible for the fashion in which they exerted their sovereign authority... other than through the tragic logic of history... No attempt was made to determine whether a voter was socially responsible to the extent of his literally unlimited authority. If he voted the impossible, the disastrous possible happened instead - and responsibility was then forced on him willy-nilly and destroyed both him and his foundationless temple.”

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I get triggered over Ky and WV in particular because the job problems people face seem unnecessary and self-caused. Both states have more industry than gets advertised. As a nation, we are told that they are suffering because of the decrease demand in coal. If I lived in KY I would make it a mission to unseat McConnell.

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
I get triggered over Ky and WV in particular because the job problems people face seem unnecessary and self-caused. Both states have more industry than gets advertised. As a nation, we are told that they are suffering because of the decrease demand in coal. If I lived in KY I would make it a mission to unseat McConnell.

If you lived in KY I would love to sit down and discuss it over a drink.

A lot of the job issue is self caused. It's a combination of people not wanting to work, and a system that rewards you for not working and drugs. If you're better off not working that ten dollar an hour job because you make more being on the dole and would loose your benefits for working, then there is a huge problem. One can't work their way up to something better without working first. There are a lot of jobs, but most of them are lower pay, though cost of living here is pretty low also.

The people we should be helping, we're not and we are spending way too much on people who abuse the system. Also, if you have the mood to do so look into our soda black market. Basically, you use your EBT money to buy soda. You can then trade the soda for shit you can't buy at a lower value than what you paid, It's not uncommon to see people in the stores with carts full of cases if soda. They are going to be trading them for smokes, drugs, or whatever because colas have a value and so many people are addicted to that shit it works out as a good barter medium.

Drugs are the going to be near the root of most of our problems here though. When you can walk into just about any gas station and they all have the same shit up there behind the counter, like rose in a glass, chore boy, shoe strings, socks, and the list goes on with the more tame stuff like a nice selection of rolling papers, blunts, helium charges. The best places are the ones next to the pay by the week motels, they usually have the widest selection to meet the needs of the discerning druggie.

Every place has it's bad shit. No different here I guess, other than there seems to be a special kind of stupid we grow in these parts.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I don't believe "voting tests" can work. Once you go down that road - saying that some people don't deserve a vote - you've opened the system up to all kinds of abuse. There will be an in-group of active voters who work to tailor the voting test to exclude others, and there will be a cycle of disenfranchisement as a result. Additionally, those citizens who cannot vote will certainly not be happy with the situation, and may form an insurgency as a result.

In many ways, these problems are why we use a representative democracy, and not a direct democracy. There's lots of stupid people out there willing to vote for stupid things that don't make sense. The representatives are supposed to be detached and mature enough to realize when they're up against reality, and do their best not to enact nonsense. As I see it, the imperfect representation in this case is far preferable to trying to exclude certain voters.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

15 Year Member
Prayers to the victims of that horrible tragedy.

When I saw them talking about that on TV, I was like.. When the fuck did that happen? Where the hell was I?

Also, It's a nice enough city. College town, so there is that. Also not very good parking. There is very little top soil and you run into rock pretty fast when digging. It cost way more to run underground utilities there, parking lots are smaller because of added cost in building them and that sort of thing. Huge cave system under there too.

A friend of mine down there has a sink hole in his yard that keeps threatening to eat his garage. Lots of problems with sinkholes.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When I saw them talking about that on TV, I was like.. When the fuck did that happen? Where the hell was I?

Also, It's a nice enough city. College town, so there is that. Also not very good parking. There is very little top soil and you run into rock pretty fast when digging. It cost way more to run underground utilities there, parking lots are smaller because of added cost in building them and that sort of thing. Huge cave system under there too.

A friend of mine down there has a sink hole in his yard that keeps threatening to eat his garage. Lots of problems with sinkholes.

I had never heard of a sinkhole until maybe five years ago. Now they seem to be swallowing infrastructure a shopping mall per day.

What gives.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Floyd Collins is probably stuck in a sinkhole right now.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
If there's a separation of church and state, then people that make voting decisions based on religious beliefs should have their votes nullified.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Lol at anyone who uses "the Democrats" of 50 years ago in a false equivalency with the ones of today

Your point is garbage and you know it

Strom thurmond was a Democrat you ass
lol at your reading comprehension. The entire point was that the system doesn't favor one political party. It had nothing to do with any equivalency, false or otherwise.

If there's a separation of church and state, then people that make voting decisions based on religious beliefs should have their votes nullified.
You mean like atheists do?

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

The separation of church and state applies to the federal government only, not to any other entities or individuals.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
How exactly am I wrong? It specifically mentions Congress, so you are complaining that I referred to the government as a whole rather than just Congress?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
How exactly am I wrong? It specifically mentions Congress, so you are complaining that I referred to the government as a whole rather than just Congress?

It applies to the states and the federal government.

No more "alternative facts" from you about constitutional law.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I didn't think it was required to mention that states cannot pass laws that violate the Constitution.

When you said that the separation of church and state only applies to the federal level, you portend that states can operate religious entities, give special treatment to a particular religion, and ignore the establishment clause.

But sure, I totally assumed what you meant.