Official SNK Neo-Geo Book: NEOGEO: A VISUAL HISTORY ネオジオ〜目で楽しむ軌跡〜 (Publisher Bitmap Books)

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
We'll then start building for the launch - with a space on the Bitmap Books website, promotional video and so on so expect to see further info, images from the book etc at the start of next month.
Frazer

Rather looking forward to this first look! It's clear that this team is putting a tons of work (and love) into this book.

While it's not surprising that pre-digital assets have not been well archived (in some cases, at all), it's still really a shame. I can only imagine what must be out there, somewhere. I still have hope that it will be possible to include some content from the planning phase / early months of the caliber of what the Read Only Memories book about the Mega Drive had the ability to feature.

And for what it's worth, I'm not concerned with cost. A well put together book is well worth it, and what Bitmap's published before is easily in line with keeping it reasonable there.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This makes me less optimistic about unreleased games getting an official release, like the cartridge version of Ironclad.

SNK_Pro

Geese's Thug
Really looking forward to this, I know from what you've told me that you and the guys have put a lot of work/love in to it Frazer. I'm terrible at keeping up to date with stuff though, maybe drop me a text when the preorders go up. :D

frazer99

Living on the wrong, side of the Pennines,
20 Year Member
Really looking forward to this, I know from what you've told me that you and the guys have put a lot of work/love in to it Frazer. I'm terrible at keeping up to date with stuff though, maybe drop me a text when the preorders go up. :D

Sure Colin will do. Pre-orders will almost certainly be in May. I'll give you a nudge once we have narrowed down the date.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Fraser...

I aint gonna order one... just gonna tell you pal...

BUT... if you, NTM and Bitmap willy sign a special edition one... maybe I can raffle it... as a Prize of some sort...

What say you Frazer?

xROTx

PS. I will pay for ALL shipping costs...

frazer99

20 Year Member
Fraser...

BUT... if you, NTM and Bitmap willy sign a special edition one... maybe I can raffle it... as a Prize of some sort...

What say you Frazer?

xROTx

Hey Rot, OK yeah leave it with me i'll see if we can sort that.

Cheers,
Frazer

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Fraser...

What say you Frazer?

xROTx

That would be cool AF!

frazer99

20 Year Member
Hey Rot, the book team had a chat about this and yeah that's all fine. A visit to SNK may well happen in Summer, if so then we'll also get the copy signed by Oda, Falcoon, Hideki etc. and you can auction that if the timings work for you?

Frazer

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hey Rot, the book team had a chat about this and yeah that's all fine. A visit to SNK may well happen in Summer, if so then we'll also get the copy signed by Oda, Falcoon, Hideki etc. and you can auction that if the timings work for you?

Frazer

This made my day, a true ng.com experience ;). Congrats to Rot!

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Great work, guys! This is a rather nice thing you are setting up. :D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Frazer

Thank You Frazer pal...

I can wait... My plan is to do a raffle with like a $5usd entry slot...

ALL Proceeds go to the Nightmare Tony Charity... I will pay for all postage costs... so EVERYTHING raised goes to that charity...

I still miss the great guy that was Tony...

xROTx

PS. Thank You Frazer for arranging it man... I'm good to wait for all signatures...:D

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
This is what sold me.

Hearing 'AES' for homecart is like scraping nails down a board.

Deffo gonna pick this up.

Good Luck!

Interesting, why is that? Its no different than saying "MVS" for the arcade carts..

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Interesting, why is that? Its no different than saying "MVS" for the arcade carts..
SNK didn't call the Homesystem/-carts "AES"... even though it can be argued that the subtext near the logo strongly suggests it.
Also I think Dion tried to claim he made up the term "AES" for the NGH. lol.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Nice! Love these types of book, the Super Famicom book is gorgeous!
I cannot wait to get this!

frazer99

20 Year Member
NEOGEO Book Update....

So March was an exceptionally busy time with the book - writing content. securing additional photography in the US and UK and refining the design and structure. The book is now 400 pages and is 99% finished. It is currently being translated into Japanese for SNK final approval (will take around 2 weeks for the review from Osaka). We then have a couple of weeks later this month to fully check and proof the book before we proceed to printing. Pre-orders will open at some point in May whilst the book is printed (it takes 6 weeks for the printing process). It is likely Collectors editions will only be available for pre-order (more details on that later).

To bloodkokuto and xsq - Turfmasta, Massi and I thought we had won the argument on ROM vs AES with an earlier iteration of the book only referring to ROM or home console. However as AES seems to have stuck with the majority of those outside of Japan the editor feels AES should be used. We even checked with SNK what term we should use - I was fully expecting the guys in Osaka to say ROM/Home Console. What came back.......AES...

We do however have a statement in the book about the fact SNK called the system simply the Neo-Geo and referred to ROM or ROM Cassette. AES was a term coined in the west to refer to the home system.

We are taking a break - around a week or so before revisiting it with fresh eyes for the final push before printing.

Cheers.
Frazer

Last edited:

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I was fully expecting the guys in Osaka to say ROM/Home Console. What came back.......AES...

Funny, some things have a way of sticking. This one has inched its way into fairly official territory. :) Update sounds great, looking forward to the pre-order. Congrats on getting through so much work during March, guys. Enjoy the pause!

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Interesting bit of info on the naming. I'm really looking forward to the book.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
thanks for the update. I guess it's fully possible a Japanese edition might be in the future... that'd make for a nice cultural feedback ;)

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Great update!
400 plus pages of goodness!

You are in the final stretch, good luck!

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Excited to see the finished work. Is this all home console info or is there some MVS/ counter culture info as well?

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Hello Frazer,
I apologize for late to join here ... I stay away from Neogeo for years but it's not mean to forgive collection.
Your book makes me feel exciting to come back for Neogeo again. I will have pre-order if you are ready ... I will choose both normal and special edition :)

Thank for nice doing ...

Regards
Saad

frazer99

20 Year Member
thanks for the update. I guess it's fully possible a Japanese edition might be in the future... that'd make for a nice cultural feedback ;)

Yes the Japanese text will be available for a potential Jpn language version :)

frazer99

20 Year Member
Excited to see the finished work. Is this all home console info or is there some MVS/ counter culture info as well?

It's mainly MVS and ROM (more of the latter) but also includes some CD, Hyper 64 and Pocket.