Is Console 5 the cheapest source for "deep" DB15 extension cables?

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
About a year ago I ordered these:
https://console5.com/store/neo-geo-...troller-joystick-extension-cables-6-1-8m.html

I ordered a bunch of other stuff from Console5 and tossed them in without comparison shopping, thinking I'd make some DIY Atari 5200 joysticks or use them as Famicom extensions or something. Never did either, but I was glad to have them when I got some broken/as-is Neo-Geo X Gold joysticks that I could easily mod for the cMVS/supergun.

The conversion went so well that I ordered six more of the broken/as-is Neo-Geo X Gold joysticks. The length is the same as the original USB cable and the strain relief slots right into the casing where it belongs. Neat! Now I need to order something like 8 more of these extensions, so it makes sense to comparison-shop.

Searching eBay, I can find the exact same cables but they are all about $12 shipped, even when shipped from Hong Kong and ordered in lots of 4. That's much more than Console5! Did they just happen to be the cheapest option? Even expanding my searches to Famicom, Family Computer, DB15, gameport, etc, I can't find similar cables for less. Where does C5 get them from?

I'll probably just bite the bullet and order 10 from C5 but just thought I'd ask first in case anyone has a cheaper source. Strangely, you have to order twice as many of their shorter "repair" cables to get them for the same price!

Off to search Alibaba...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Most of the time I find you can cut a bit of rubber off the DB15 and there is plenty of extra to get the right connection. Just make sure the head is made of rubber not plastic and use a sharp razor.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Most of the time I find you can cut a bit of rubber off the DB15 and there is plenty of extra to get the right connection. Just make sure the head is made of rubber not plastic and use a sharp razor.
Yeah, I'm aware of the work-arounds, but I'm trying to make these look almost exactly like the original Neo sticks and that's why I'm looking for more of these connectors/cables. I'm even considering adding weights inside so that they feel more substantial. Thanks though.

I went ahead and ordered 10 of the extension cables from Console5 for about $8 each after shipping, but I'm still interested in cheaper sources if anyone knows where they're coming from.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just keep in mind that not all deep DB15 cords are created equal, the cheap ones are well, cheap.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Do the longer DB15's work in the standard DB15 socket?

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Do the longer DB15's work in the standard DB15 socket?
Usually yes, but I've seen complaints of intermittent/flaky connections. Unlike these extension cables, the original Neo controller and Famicom EXT connectors had the male pins significantly retracted from the edge of their "hood." I don't think the receptacles on the female side were similarly retracted or they likely wouldn't connect on a standard 15-pin gameport or Atari 5200 as I have heard they do.

Pretty sure the MSX and X68000 used these same connectors.

Also, I'm a little confused by the terminology. Since the '90s, I've always used "DB15" to mean a 15-pin VGA connector (three rows) and DB25 for 25-pin parallel/RS232 serial (two rows). For the last few years I've seen the Atari/Famicom/Neo/gameport referred to as DB15 so I accept that I was wrong to refer to VGA that way, but I've also seen them called "DA15" or something similar several times, which makes me wonder if that's what they are really supposed to be called after all.

Just keep in mind that not all deep DB15 cords are created equal, the cheap ones are well, cheap.
Thanks. Thankfully, I've broken into them and they look pretty good, which is why I tried to find the same cables for less. Because I only found them at increasingly higher prices when I looked around, I just went ahead and ordered more from Console5.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Thanks. Thankfully, I've broken into them and they look pretty good, which is why I tried to find the same cables for less. Because I only found them at increasingly higher prices when I looked around, I just went ahead and ordered more from Console5.

You should have seen how much they were before I broke the market on them. They were $25 plus shipping before. I found a place that had the same cables and sold them for $15 each or $17 shipped and even gave people volume discount when buying 2 or more, some people were buying 10 at a time. Sold over 300 cables pretty damn quick.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
You should have seen how much they were before I broke the market on them. They were $25 plus shipping before. I found a place that had the same cables and sold them for $15 each or $17 shipped and even gave people volume discount when buying 2 or more, some people were buying 10 at a time. Sold over 300 cables pretty damn quick.
Well, this totally puts things in perspective. Guess I'm totally OK with the 10 I just bought for $6.95 each plus shipping (let's just say $8 each). I think it's really weird that they sell the repair version with less functionality (no male socket) and require you to buy twice as many for the same discount (20 for $6.95 each).

I'm seeing much higher prices for these on Amazon too.

Last edited: