Fixing a melted CD drive

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
There's a bit of work to do if I'm going to sell it - mainly, it needs some kind of graphical menu, some way of updating the firmware, and a user-accessible configuration. Right now I've hardcoded basically everything. (EDIT: Also I've only tried it on SCPH-1001 consoles - newer servo controllers might not like it.)

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

Heh, the PSX I have lying around is a 1001 "audiophile". The best model. I'm set. :cool:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Can it stream redbook audio?

Sure, but... why?

EDIT: If you're asking about CD-DA tracks on a PSX game, yes, no problems there. Also does double-speed XA streaming just fine - no more choppy FMV playback!

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
There's a bit of work to do if I'm going to sell it - mainly, it needs some kind of graphical menu, some way of updating the firmware, and a user-accessible configuration. Right now I've hardcoded basically everything. (EDIT: Also I've only tried it on SCPH-1001 consoles - newer servo controllers might not like it.)

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words.

I have an SCPH7501 (one of the latest models AFAIK) that can be used for testing :D

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sure, but... why?

EDIT: If you're asking about CD-DA tracks on a PSX game, yes, no problems there. Also does double-speed XA streaming just fine - no more choppy FMV playback!
Sorry, yeah that's what I meant, was just curious. Thank you!

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I have an SCPH7501 (one of the latest models AFAIK) that can be used for testing :D

They should work with this current setup...unless something changed along the production for later models. I swapped a PSOne (scph-101, forgot what was wrong with it in the first place) into my old 1001 and it actually saved my 1001 from the scrap heap.

But yeah, if you need any test units, I can stop by my local GW and pick some up for testing as well. I usually see 3 or 4 different models there at any given time.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
I've got a 7501 and a 9001 around here somewhere. I just need to dig them out.

Yeah, they moved to newer CD chipsets over time. The later PSX motherboards have the SPU + DSP + servo controller all integrated. The oldest models have them discrete. (Datasheets are publicly available and you can stick probes on the signals inbetween, which helps.)

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Awesome job!!! Didn't see this until now! Do you plan on selling these?

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
Bumping to see if there's any new progress with this.

Unfortunately, I took a job that precludes me from working further on this.

If anyone wants the project files as they stand, PM me.

Guilt

n00b
Made an account because I want this. Can't PM yet, but I really want to help get this on GitHub where it can be developed further.