The big Sega Genesis adventure begins.... chasing a dream....

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Why piss so much money on a bunch of awful stuff when you could probably buy 30-50 at best Genesis games and not be missing out on anything of real quality left on there. A good bit of it was only good back in the day and aged far worse than equal level stuff on other 90s systems (SNES, NG, TG16 too)
I feel like the Neo Geo and Turbo were only mentioned to muddy the waters regarding a clear Nintendo bias.

lordnikon

Another Striker
As many have said, the prices are insane now for retro games. I bought a US copy of Sagaia complete in 2008 for $20 (after shipping), and people on ebay are now winning bid auctions at over $100 for it. It can't be that all of a sudden in the last few years, games on almost every console are selling higher than their original MSRP. eBay pricing algorithms, and nerds with jobs on youtube channels willing to pay 5x market value for any given game, have sent prices into the stratosphere. Even YJA stuff is getting nuts now because they realize westerners are on there prowling for shmups and fighters.

Collecting games and Playing games are two different things and I think most of the users on this board are focused on playing games. Forums like Atari Age or Digital Press might be far more enthusiastic about a mission to acquire a complete set. They might even cheer you on.

For some reason I view complete set owners as knowing less about video games. They don't know what they have. They own "all teh games", but since no curation was involved, the lack of research has resulted in a very unspecific perspective on games.

Last edited:

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
yeah I might get a few boxed games for some cool display but a gen 1 with svideo and an everdrive should do me just fine

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
better have a boatload of cash lying around.
i would also say it's not worth it unless you have nothing else going on in your life right now.

lordnikon

Another Striker
There are some huge advantages to using an Everdrive via the romhacking community.

There is an awesome Street Fighter II Champion Edition hack that corrects the audio, especially the voice audio. It sounds great, and really changes the feel of the game. There is also a color palette hack, which for the most part could be conidered just preferential tweaks to the colors by the author, but E. Honda's stage looks wayyyy better with this hack. Less puke yellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Mx7w0O_oc

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
There are some huge advantages to using an Everdrive via the romhacking community.

There is an awesome Street Fighter II Champion Edition hack that corrects the audio, especially the voice audio. It sounds great, and really changes the feel of the game. There is also a color palette hack, which for the most part could be conidered just preferential tweaks to the colors by the author, but E. Honda's stage looks wayyyy better with this hack. Less puke yellow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Mx7w0O_oc

Hells yes! The color hacks to MKII are legit as well.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I love the color hacks for Outrun and Final Fight CD.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I got a dream, to have a dream.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Starting to collect a full set of anything in 2017 = futile.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
It's like stocks... Buy low... Sell high. Douchie yes, but it's all about supply and demand.