The big Sega Genesis adventure begins.... chasing a dream....

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I have been a member on this forum for a long time. I mostly lurk in the shadows and don't tend to post that much. Love the site and a lot of you doll fuckers.

Well I wanted to start this journey with you as I collect every clamshell NTSC Genesis game released in the united states. I'm not sure how I am gonna achieve this, mind you I sold of most of my collection a few years ago as I hit tough times. I'm assuming this may take a year to do however I don't care. All of it will be documented on here from the first game to the last. If anyone can help me with good price list and or if anyone sells rare ones please let me be your fist stop. I intend on doing this on a budget. I will let you all know every step of the way.

If anyone has any advice feel free to post or even PM me.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If you insist on this foolishness, I may be able to help ;)

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Are you starting from zero or do you already have a decent amount already? As far as the rare ones go, I think it's mainly just Outback Joey and that piano game that are really hard to find.

Musha will also set you back a pretty penny as well. Crusader of Centy is also pretty rare (and frequently bootlegged), but that was a cardboard-only release at least.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Well I wanted to start this journey with you as I collect every clamshell NTSC Genesis game released in the united states.

Only the clamshell ones? So no pack-in carts like Eternal Champions or NFL 95, no cardboard box versions, no demo carts? No Accolade boxed releases (like Test Drive II: The Duel, or Ditka Power Football)
And you say "every" which I doubt you are going to even try... Considering there are like 5 different PGA Tour Golf II versions released in clamshell. And will you be buying not only the clamshell Sonic the Hedgehog, the NFR version, AND the red Sega Classics version? Or how about the early black box games that got re-released in the mid 90s with ESRB tags like Super Monaco GP?

I started my own Genesis full-set journey on a budget... and I mean a real budget. I got to 300 games recently, but I do not limit myself to clamshell release, single copy only. So have fun!

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I have to check boxes in storage to see if I have any. I don't think it will be hard to find MUSHA at a decent price. The inflated prices on ebay lately are a joke and I don't mind paying for say one with no manual for a decent price.
Are you starting from zero or do you already have a decent amount already? As far as the rare ones go, I think it's mainly just Outback Joey and that piano game that are really hard to find.

Musha will also set you back a pretty penny as well. Crusader of Centy is also pretty rare (and frequently bootlegged), but that was a cardboard-only release at least.

I mean that's the idea we shall see how it works out I guess.
Only the clamshell ones? So no pack-in carts like Eternal Champions or NFL 95, no cardboard box versions, no demo carts? No Accolade boxed releases (like Test Drive II: The Duel, or Ditka Power Football)
And you say "every" which I doubt you are going to even try... Considering there are like 5 different PGA Tour Golf II versions released in clamshell. And will you be buying not only the clamshell Sonic the Hedgehog, the NFR version, AND the red Sega Classics version? Or how about the early black box games that got re-released in the mid 90s with ESRB tags like Super Monaco GP?
I started my own Genesis full-set journey on a budget... and I mean a real budget. I got to 300 games recently, but I do not limit myself to clamshell release, single copy only. So have fun!

Last edited:
Good luck.

Sega has been as retarded as Nintendo for years now, people just don't talk about it as much because there's no Stadium Events equivalent really. But there are a shit ton of games that go for say, 40-50 each loose but then around 100-200 when you factor in the box and manual. Which can make it grueling. Sometimes the cart is easy to find but the box or even just the manual aren't (there are a lot of box + cart onlys floating around out there), so going complete can increase the price of a game by x2, x3, or even x4.

Case in point, I've been trying to get Splatterhouse 2 & 3 CIB for 100 each for the past few years and can't find them for any less than 130 (and usually more like 150). Which I refuse to pay out of stubborn principle. The carts by themselves can be had for 50 bucks any day though.

Still more doable than a CIB NES set though I guess. The problem is Genny games just look so naked on a shelf when they're cart only to my eye at least, compared to loose Nintendo carts which look fine.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Good luck.

Sega has been as retarded as Nintendo for years now, people just don't talk about it as much because there's no Stadium Events equivalent really. But there are a shit ton of games that go for say, 40-50 each loose but then around 100-200 when you factor in the box and manual. Which can make it grueling. Sometimes the cart is easy to find but the box or even just the manual aren't (there are a lot of box + cart onlys floating around out there), so going complete can increase the price of a game by x2, x3, or even x4.

Case in point, I've been trying to get Splatterhouse 2 & 3 CIB for 100 each for the past few years and can't find them for any less than 130 (and usually more like 150). Which I refuse to pay out of stubborn principle. The carts by themselves can be had for 50 bucks any day though.

Still more doable than a CIB NES set though I guess. The problem is Genny games just look so naked on a shelf when they're cart only to my eye at least, compared to loose Nintendo carts which look fine.

This is a perfect example of why not to get into genny. When I bought Splatterhouse 2 and 3, I got both CIB for $25 and at the time it was the most expensive genny purchase I made. Mind you this was 2005, and you could get CIB games at $2.00-$3.00 a pop. Ironic that everyone used to say that Genesis was the best way for a poor man to collect games and now its almost as expensive as NES.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Poor idea. Why would you waste time and money buying games that you'll never play? Instead, work on building a library of games that you will enjoy. Or just use your Everdrive, and enjoy playing games instead of worrying about hoarding them.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
This is a perfect example of why not to get into genny. When I bought Splatterhouse 2 and 3, I got both CIB for $25 and at the time it was the most expensive genny purchase I made. Mind you this was 2005, and you could get CIB games at $2.00-$3.00 a pop. Ironic that everyone used to say that Genesis was the best way for a poor man to collect games and now its almost as expensive as NES.

If you go the loose cart route, Genesis is totally affordable. Most collectors are going for complete and routinely pay 3x as much for the privilege. That said, a full complete Genesis set would still cost a far less than a loose NES set in today's market.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Poor idea. Why would you waste time and money buying games that you'll never play? Instead, work on building a library of games that you will enjoy. Or just use your Everdrive, and enjoy playing games instead of worrying about hoarding them.

^This. Even building a library of quality titles is wallet crushing now. I'd really follow Jibb's advice and get an Everdrive- much cheaper and you'll get a lot of playtime out of it. Don't get me wrong, I love my genny and it gets a lot of use, but everdrives are much more economical now.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
My advice and this is from someone who got one about a year and a half ago and gave up on it, just don't. In just that time alone I've seen the prices go from pretty light and easy (cart only) to bordering on downright stupid when you look at complete games. Loose stuff, MUSHA you pointed out would be the worst, last I looked around $150+ which against the NES/SNES hell is peanuts. But you're talking complete, and that will bring you right into the depths of Nintendo hell with a large library of games in which a great deal aren't worth the chips the game is pressed onto.

If you insist, buy loose. If you care to get reasonable, buy what you'll actually play, enjoy and get the cash value out of. Otherwise screw that, get an everdrive or throw an emulator on whatever Android or hacked iOS device you have. I'm about to sell off my last 10 Genesis games I held onto probably this evening on ebay, mostly what is considered the good stuff like the Konami games which I picked up loose among a few other nice things cheap and not so much. It's just not worth it.

One of the atgames employees over at AtariAge pointed out this year (later) a totally ground up revamped handheld and TV version of the Genesis will arrive. The sound will no longer be shit, saving in games will work, notable glitches in graphics(etc) breaking games will be addressed. When that arrives I have a SD card waiting for the handheld. I'd rather throw $50 at that and carry it around or jack that into my TV for a fix.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh look, another compete set collector starting 20 years too late. Fuck off.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I want to collect a full set of games for a system that I grew up playing. The choices were SNES, NES, Master system, Genesis, TG16 or Neo Geo. My budget is 6-10K. I'm doing this because its something I have always wanted to do. I own a SNES and Genesis Everdrive. I love the Genesis and SNES the most out of all the choices and felt that this would be a lot of fun to do. I had been recently looking for something to do in the colder months. I am also assuming this is the cheapest way to go for the systems I wanted. I plain on driving to a ton of stores in my area and surrounding area and tracking down people that have extra copies and are like minded as I.

My first system was an Atari 2600 when I was 4-6 years old and then a NES when I was 10. I have never been into TV and have been an avid gamer an arcade collector for the past fifteen years. I put 4 hours in a day of playtime minimum five days a week. Mostly on newer stuff. I have owned almost every console to come out since 78. The more popular ones anyway.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I just honestly do not understand the mentality of wanting a full set of games for any system. If you're looking for something to do in the colder months, may I suggest playing video games?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I don't get it, why not just pick some choice titles you would really like to own and go for those across all those platforms you listed. The genny has its fair share of shit like any system, do you really need Barney Hide and Seek?

You already spend 4+ hours a day playing games and now you want to spend another few collecting games. It sounds like you are bored in the winter months and want a hobby to keep yourself occupied. Why not pick something a little less expensive, maybe take up wax sculpting of something.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
If I had a redo, I would only do the loose carts that were of standard size because they can be put into cassette storage. Its too late for me, it might come down to not going after Genesis at all, or doing just the carts... It wholly depends on where my computer collection ends up. It is my real primary and it might just squeeze Genesis out some day.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
hey noticed you are from Buffalo. I work and live near Brockport, cool to see someone close by on here doesn't happen much.

If I had a redo, I would only do the loose carts that were of standard size because they can be put into cassette storage. Its too late for me, it might come down to not going after Genesis at all, or doing just the carts... It wholly depends on where my computer collection ends up. It is my real primary and it might just squeeze Genesis out some day.

I am in the process of finding a list of licensed games from sega. That's probably where I will start and am thinking I may just go cart only for some of the rare titles as I still can have a complete collection and that's the whole point.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Ugh. Personally, I just don't see the point of completionist collecting. My philosophy is that video games are meant to be played. Completionist collecting goes counter to that. You'd obviously be buying games you have no desire or intention of playing. Buying games just for the sake of owning them is a waste, IMHO. You can just buy games you want to play and still have a nice collection, and the collection would have a purpose beyond just sitting pretty on a shelf. To each their own, I guess.

Have fun, and good luck, shit's gonna get expensive.

bitdigital

n00b
It's cool when you got the space to display your collection and have any one of them available to you at arms reach, but kind of a waste if there just going to end up in boxes or plastic bins. I personally just collect the games I would play and some for that super cool box art. To each his own though.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Self queen in the process of coronation. Dude seriously get your priorities straight. As with any system really, a vast majority of the games aren't even worth wiping your ass with. Why piss so much money on a bunch of awful stuff when you could probably buy 30-50 at best Genesis games and not be missing out on anything of real quality left on there. A good bit of it was only good back in the day and aged far worse than equal level stuff on other 90s systems (SNES, NG, TG16 too)

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Self queen in the process of coronation. Dude seriously get your priorities straight. As with any system really, a vast majority of the games aren't even worth wiping your ass with. Why piss so much money on a bunch of awful stuff when you could probably buy 30-50 at best Genesis games and not be missing out on anything of real quality left on there. A good bit of it was only good back in the day and aged far worse than equal level stuff on other 90s systems (SNES, NG, TG16 too)

You're calling someone else a shelf queen? Didn't you buy a NES Mini just to keep sealed on the shelf?