Interesting KOF99 (blue)

pollsoda

n00b
I just picked up a copy of KOF99 in a clear blue shell. It seems to work fine, but doesn't boot to the normal "MAX 330 MEGA PRO GEAR SPEC" intro, but instead goes into the game directly. During attract mode, every few minutes it will "reboot" to an orange-then-green screen and start attract mode over again.

Here's a gallery of images:
http://imgur.com/a/jw1Md

What's interesting is on the back of board 1, chip 251-PG2 has a socket adapter of some sort with an Altera on it that doesn't appear on mvs-scans.

IMG_3881.JPG

Not sure if this is a legit repair, but thought it was worth sharing.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Hmm, that is interesting. Any other differences, such as secret characters unlocked by default?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
wow, looks pretty legit except for the altera chip... could be a failed repair (failed because the cart resets). Wondering what that chip is supposed to do... the SMA takes care of the protection... maybe some kind of experiment?

you mentioned that there was a socket of some sorts? where is that? can you easily disconnect the altera chip and try how the cart behaves without it?

pollsoda

n00b
wow, looks pretty legit except for the altera chip... could be a failed repair (failed because the cart resets). Wondering what that chip is supposed to do... the SMA takes care of the protection... maybe some kind of experiment?

you mentioned that there was a socket of some sorts? where is that? can you easily disconnect the altera chip and try how the cart behaves without it?

Got my UniBIOS working today, this is what I get from the CRC check:

King of Fighters 99 - 0251
ROM REGION - 909B18C4 NG
ROM BANK 0 - 07D7CFD6 NG
ROM BANK 1 - 1BB8AFED NG
ROM BANK 2 - F5235538 NG
ROM BANK 3 - A6515BC4 NG

What's NG mean?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Got my UniBIOS working today, this is what I get from the CRC check:

King of Fighters 99 - 0251
ROM REGION - 909B18C4 NG
ROM BANK 0 - 07D7CFD6 NG
ROM BANK 1 - 1BB8AFED NG
ROM BANK 2 - F5235538 NG
ROM BANK 3 - A6515BC4 NG

What's NG mean?

I think it means "Not Good" I was having the same problem with my Slug 3 until I gave the contacts a through cleaning.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That happens a lot with dirty carts. As mentioned before give the contacts a thorough cleaning and see where that gets you.