Thread: MVS - Metal Slug - Repair Job?

King's Dry Cleaner

MVS - Metal Slug - Repair Job?

Took a chance on an eBay lot & my Metal Slug & Metal Slug 2 carts seem to be boots. Label for MS1 seems to have been replaced, but the serial was scratched out so I thought it was real at first. Board one contains only mask roms. Board two has 2 windowed EEP-ROMs on it. Neither board looks to have ANY hand soldering on any romchip. Honestly I don't know what to make of this. If it was a repair I would see some soldering marks on the boards, or inconsistent flux somewhere, but it all looks like it was never touched. Won't be able to test it until my omega comes in, but I thought I would share in the meantime. Could I get some feedbback?

Here's pictures of both MS1 Boards & the label/cart. MS2 cart looks very different so I'll post that later.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

20170211_100008.jpg

20170211_100036.jpg

20170211_100026.jpg

20170211_100104.jpg

20170211_100126.jpg

20170211_100144.jpg

Mickey's Coach

Bootleg boards, bootleg chips. Better believe that's a boot.

King's Dry Cleaner

Figured as much. What confused me was the mask roms & lack of hand soldering. Was it common for boots to be done like this straight out of a factory with no donor cart used?

Mature's Make-Up Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wingzrow View Post
    Figured as much. What confused me was the mask roms & lack of hand soldering. Was it common for boots to be done like this straight out of a factory with no donor cart used?
    Yes, there were boots produced in large quantity that where flow soldered by a machine. Also, those are most likely OTP eproms and not mask roms.

Mickey's Coach

All SNK roms have the ngh number of the game on them, plus are labelled for which chip they are (m1, v1, v2, etc). All legit boards have "SNK" printed on them.

Thread Information