Which of these platforms would you use for your DIY Supergun?

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I'm just getting started on my DIY Supergun and while I wait for parts I thought I'd ask for some input/ideas.

I want something that's kinda "middle of the road" between the platform on a giant enclosure type builds and free-form with cables and harnesses type builds. It would be open for easy tweaking and configurability while still being somewhat protective and presentable. Like the Antec Skeleton of Superguns. When I saw this Dell notebook docking station for $4, I just couldn't shake the idea of turning it into a Supergun:
uS2HklUl.jpg

hFg45Uul.jpg

i1HHb2ll.jpg

It has ten contacts routed from the bottom through a metallic frame to two buttons and four LEDs at the top. I've been inside and can easily add some toggles there too (at the expense of LEDs). The top platform is labeled to support 65kg/100lbs.

I figured I'd semi-enclose the bottom to stow the PSU, JAMMA harness, video encoder, joystick ports, etc and extend the top platform a little bit. I got to work shaving away all the protrusions and eliminating all the useless bits from its life as a notebook dock and then took a break. While I was out, I came across this similar Lenovo unit:
Z2iQrWxl.jpg

J6jJyywl.jpg

pH9HoXgl.jpg

wJxmerjl.jpg

jD54zlbl.jpg

It doesn't have all the useless sliding parts that the Dell unit has but it's also lacking the useful buttons and LEDs. The only protrusions on the bottom plate (alignment pegs for a notebook) are easily detached, which would've saved me a lot of trouble on the Dell (I still have to fill in huge gaps where a docking plate would slide around). The top is too small for most boards but the back is interestingly asymmetric, which would probably make my power, video, and JAMMA connections look better. I'm thinkin' board on the bottom, JAMMA harness out of the protrusion on the left, video outputs in the nook on the right-rear, and power/controller break-out boxes attached to the top.

So: which would you pick and how would you set yours up?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You shouldn't have to open and tweak your supergun often once it's done. Sorry, I kinda don't get the appeal in this.

My favorite case I used was a plastic storage box about the size of a shoebox, it was great for my MV2F and other large PCBs since they could fit on top. And the lid made it really easy to get into for the extremely rare times I had reason to (maybe opened it once to add +5V to the controller ports I think??).

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Use that sewing machine.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
You shouldn't have to open and tweak your supergun often once it's done. Sorry, I kinda don't get the appeal in this.

My favorite case I used was a plastic storage box about the size of a shoebox, it was great for my MV2F and other large PCBs since they could fit on top. And the lid made it really easy to get into for the extremely rare times I had reason to (maybe opened it once to add +5V to the controller ports I think??).
Tweaking voltages, changing button config per-game, adjusting RGB pots for different displays, troubleshooting flaky arcade boards... I guess half the point for me is as a troubleshooting workstation so I can deliberately buy cheap as-is or "defective" boards. ;) If I were just running MVS/CPS2 I'd probably do one in an enclosure, but those enclosures are so big that they aren't really any more convenient from what I can tell.

Use that sewing machine.
9tY6PHfl.jpg

Does this count? ;)

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Lol that's badass.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
For the voltages and RGB I'd just have some pots poke out of the box. I guess if you need a really versatile way to configure controls (beyond the usual wiring kick harness to a DB9 or similar) then yeah you can have a barrier strip and fork terminals inside, or something like that, might not want that outside.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Funny how you think the JNX unit is giant when you're thinking about an open air supergun in a modded monitor stand. If it was me I would pick neither, this is no different than screwing everything to a wood board.