CPS2 and CP3 in JVS Cab

OldSchoolNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
So my Naomi New Net City cabinet arrived today and I'm trying to get my CPS2 and CPS3 setups running in it.

I have the Riverservice I/O board that lets me run Jamma games in the JVS cabinet and the games boot up with sound and video. However, the CP doesn't work at all. No joysticks, no buttons, nothing.

I know the CP and all buttons work, as when I run a Taito Type X2 in it I don't have any issues with the CP.

Question - for those of you with similar JVS cab setups, what have you used to handle the CP? I would have at least thought all but button 6 would work, but nothing is.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
TBH, most people I've seen with JVS cabs run auxiliary wiring to directly interface the cabinet to JAMMA, since IIRC encoding to JVS/decoding back to discrete can introduce some lag anyway.

Not exactly helpful to solving your problem with what you have on hand, but I thought I'd mention it.

OldSchoolNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
TBH, most people I've seen with JVS cabs run auxiliary wiring to directly interface the cabinet to JAMMA, since IIRC encoding to JVS/decoding back to discrete can introduce some lag anyway.

Not exactly helpful to solving your problem with what you have on hand, but I thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the reply and I'd be fine with that solution. However I do not have the technical "know how" to build a wiring harness that would let me do that. If anyone knows someone that can build that type of wiring harness, I'd love to pick one up. I thought the I/O board would be "plug and play" but I'm seeing it's not as I believe I need a kickharness to go from the CPS2/CPS3 board to the Riverservice I/O Board. Again, I do not know of anyone that sells this.

Nothing is easy with this stuff.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I don't know of who. I think my friends with JVS cabs built the harnesses themselves or their cabs came with them. Best of luck!

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If your X2 works, then your JVS IO is OK and honestly the riverservice adapter should work. I personally avoid those adapters because I was told they suffer from input lag, but I understand it's near impossible to find the namco or konami boards anymore. I got lucky and picked up a namco one that is plug and play in my net city.

One of my net cities I wired in JAMMA wiring in addition to JVS but it is not a fun task. FrancoB used to make looms but he quit a while ago. I don't know of anyone currently making them.

OldSchoolNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
If your X2 works, then your JVS IO is OK and honestly the riverservice adapter should work. I personally avoid those adapters because I was told they suffer from input lag, but I understand it's near impossible to find the namco or konami boards anymore. I got lucky and picked up a namco one that is plug and play in my net city.

One of my net cities I wired in JAMMA wiring in addition to JVS but it is not a fun task. FrancoB used to make looms but he quit a while ago. I don't know of anyone currently making them.

That's what I was thinking - it should work and I should have some of the CP controls working even without the CPS2 kick harness. But nope, nothing on the CP works at all.

I'd gladly pay whatever some is asking for a wiring loom that would make all of this easy or a Namco or Konami IO board if it's a River Service issue.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I can't spare my namco adapter, but if you'd like I could try to troubleshoot or repair your RS one. I have plenty of CPS2 hardware, and JVS IO Boards that I could test it with. If I were you though I'd just try to get my money back or an exchange for it. If you get stuck with it then my offer is open to have a look at it for you.

OldSchoolNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
I can't spare my namco adapter, but if you'd like I could try to troubleshoot or repair your RS one. I have plenty of CPS2 hardware, and JVS IO Boards that I could test it with. If I were you though I'd just try to get my money back or an exchange for it. If you get stuck with it then my offer is open to have a look at it for you.

Thanks, I may just take you up on that. I've contacted the seller (I bought it on ebay) in Japan, but I'm not holding my breath on replacement or refund.

Last edited:

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
So my Naomi New Net City cabinet arrived today and I'm trying to get my CPS2 and CPS3 setups running in it.

I have the Riverservice I/O board that lets me run Jamma games in the JVS cabinet and the games boot up with sound and video. However, the CP doesn't work at all. No joysticks, no buttons, nothing.

I know the CP and all buttons work, as when I run a Taito Type X2 in it I don't have any issues with the CP.

Question - for those of you with similar JVS cab setups, what have you used to handle the CP? I would have at least thought all but button 6 would work, but nothing is.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

So you have a couple of choices. 1 of which you already have.

PCB choices:
Namco JVS to JAMMA adapter

Konami JVS to JAMMA adapter

RiverService JVS to JAMMA adapter

straight wiring choices:
RiverService JVS to JAMMA adapter (they make both a PCB version and a straight wire version. Straight wire version is MUCH better)

FancoB JVS to JAMMA adapter (sadly he does not make these anymore).

I've used all of the ones mentioned above and I can tell you 100000% that the FrancoB stuff is hands down the best.
I've had 3 Namco JVS to JAMMA adapter die in different ways. 2 were controls and 1 was video.

I'm going to lend Lemony Vengence one of my FrancoB JVS to JAMMA adapter when I am not lazy and actually ship it to him. You might want to contact him in the future about it.
And FYI, the New Net City has the best 15khz out of any tri-sync you'll ever see. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. :D

Last edited:

OldSchoolNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
So you have a couple of choices. 1 of which you already have.

PCB choices:
Namco JVS to JAMMA adapter

Konami JVS to JAMMA adapter

RiverService JVS to JAMMA adapter

straight wiring choices:
RiverService JVS to JAMMA adapter (they make both a PCB version and a straight wire version. Straight wire version is MUCH better)

FancoB JVS to JAMMA adapter (sadly he does not make these anymore).

I've used all of the ones mentioned above and I can tell you 100000% that the FrancoB stuff is hands down the best.
I've had 3 Namco JVS to JAMMA adapter die in different ways. 2 were controls and 1 was video.

I'm going to lend Lemony Vengence one of my FrancoB JVS to JAMMA adapter when I am not lazy and actually ship it to him. You might want to contact him in the future about it.
And FYI, the New Net City has the best 15khz out of any tri-sync you'll ever see. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about. :D

Yeah, I'm starting to think this River Service unit is dead on arrival. I'll post WTB ads for a Franco loom and see if anything turns up. Thanks!

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Yeah, I'm starting to think this River Service unit is dead on arrival. I'll post WTB ads for a Franco loom and see if anything turns up. Thanks!

I've only used the RiverService one (PCB version) for a minute and I remember it inducting some lag. This might have been one of their first version and they might have made it better, but that I don't know.
Good luck in getting a replacement. RiverService will sell you the straight wire version too. It takes a bit of work to put in, but it's good once it's in.

Before you send your RiverService PCB back, you could have someone with a New Net City test it out. That way, you can be 100% sure it's dead or not without sending it all the way back to Japan.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

C'mon man. you know I've literally got nothing to do. ;)