Replacing old monitor on neo-geo

bert

Banned
Have old tube style monitor which has blown. Looking to replace with flat screen for neo-geo but can't find any suppliers.:confused:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Going to need to give us more information than that.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Have old tube style monitor which has blown. Looking to replace with flat screen for neo-geo but can't find any suppliers.:confused:

CRT's are not that difficult to fix if you've got the time to diagnose it. They aren't being produced anymore and it's always worth it to try and save them rather than going straight to lcd imho.

bert

Banned
CRT's are not that difficult to fix if you've got the time to diagnose it. They aren't being produced anymore and it's always worth it to try and save them rather than going straight to lcd imho.
It's a Samsung screen,would like to save if possible .
Before it died, the screen took longer and longer to come on before eventually burning out. It was then switched off and has been stored in the garage for 4 years.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Although the tube is a Samsung tube, the chassis (the electronics) attached to the tube will be from a different manufacturer. Hantarex, Wells-Gardner, Nanao, Sanwa etc. Might be best to take a few pics of the chassis if you can't find the model number of it so others can help.

Sounds like a cap kit might be the first port of call though, what with it taking longer and longer to come on before it was stored.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
It's a Samsung screen,would like to save if possible .
Before it died, the screen took longer and longer to come on before eventually burning out. It was then switched off and has been stored in the garage for 4 years.

Ah gotcha. If the monitor is not powering on at all and you'd like to diagnose the crt before an lcd switcheroo, I'd check to see if the neck is at least glowing on the crt when you power the cabinet on still. I'm not sure what you mean when you say it is presently "burnt out". Without having any other information to go off of, I'd hate to just recommend checking and replacing bad caps/resistors if there is no neck glow. Here's an example graphic of a monitor with a faint neck glow just in case you are not sure where to look (ignore the text in the graphic):

5151_glowing_heater.jpg

Last edited:

bert

Banned
After the tube was "blown", it was stored in the garage for 4 years. I've opened the back and powered up, the machine is dead but heat is coming from the tv area. The red wire from the top of the tube directly connected to the supply underneath shows signs of burn up the wire and on one of the knobs (vertical hold?) at the power supply. The 2 nearby fuses seem to be intact, will try to post pic. Unable to view your pic, says i don't have permission! I'm not very tech savvy. Technophobe :lol:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
After the tube was "blown", it was stored in the garage for 4 years. I've opened the back and powered up, the machine is dead but heat is coming from the tv area. The red wire from the top of the tube directly connected to the supply underneath shows signs of burn up the wire and on one of the knobs (vertical hold?) at the power supply. The 2 nearby fuses seem to be intact, will try to post pic. Unable to view your pic, says i don't have permission! I'm not very tech savvy. Technophobe :lol:

Yikes. Without knowing the extent of the damage, it sounds like that monitor is going to need a new flyback at the very least.

Also, I didn't know you couldn't view the images on your side. I thought all photos were visible once logged in with any account.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Yikes. Without knowing the extent of the damage, it sounds like that monitor is going to need a new flyback at the very least.

Also, I didn't know you couldn't view the images on your side. I thought all photos were visible once logged in with any account.
Yeah. Not sure how many members realize that we can't see their pics when we're new. Several tried to respond to me with pics I couldn't see until now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Erm....what's a flyback? Is it likely to be expensive?

Lets cut this short then. Simply deliver your monitor to your local TV repair shop, if they can't fix it then get an LCD or a replacement CRT monitor.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
LCD is a last resort. You can pickup "new" tubes for about the same price if you're a snob about scanlines and visuals.

Granted, most neo games look like shit on newer LCD's... it's a better long term solution.

I don't mind them for really old, classic games because they end up looking sharper, cleaner and more colorful.

Anything involving complex sprites or "depending on scanlines" to make things look nice tend to look like shit on LCDs.

Centipede/Missile Command on LCD looks fantastic. CPS2 games, definitely not.

Tacitus

Staff member
You can also scoop up old PVMs and the like, replacing the harder to find monitors with easier to find replacements.

SSS and I have both done so in the past and they sell PVMs practically by the pound if you know where to look.

You can pay $400 for essentially the same grade or lesser monitor or just grab some 25'' PVMs off of craigslist for $100. You just need to uncase them, match up brackets (or make your own) and you're fine.

Tacitus

Staff member
You know what sucks?

I just junked a 4 slot this afternoon... to put in my NFL Blitz 2000 cab.

(No worries, the cab was water damaged to hell and I got it for free.)

bochi

Cheng's Errand Boy
I also junked an mvu-24 to put it in an NBA showtime cab. The mcu was badly corroded and it would cost an arm and a leg to restore it.