Neo Geo X Controller with PC

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Is there a driver to get this damn neogeox usb controller working with mame. It does not work with mame in windows seven 32 and 64 bit nor windows ten 32 or 64 bit.

The controller shows up in the control panel calibration in windows but mame does not see it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd start by using windows 7, seven isn't compatible nor ten.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Is there a driver to get this damn neogeox usb controller working with mame. It does not work with mame in windows seven 32 and 64 bit nor windows ten 32 or 64 bit.

The controller shows up in the control panel calibration in windows but mame does not see it.

If Windows sees the controller OK, and the calibration panel shows the buttons as working (It's what I understand you have right now), then I'd say the problem lies somewhere in MAME.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If Windows sees the controller OK, and the calibration panel shows the buttons as working (It's what I understand you have right now), then I'd say the problem lies somewhere in MAME.

The thing is some people say that got their controller working with mame.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
The thing is some people say that got their controller working with mame.
What version/port of MAME are you using? Are you able to configure any other controllers?

Why would you ask for a driver when it's obviously working in the Windows Control Panel? It has to have working drivers for that. There's no such thing as "MAME drivers." You, know, these things usually aren't plug'n'play. You have to tell MAME what buttons you want to do what.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
What version/port of MAME are you using? Are you able to configure any other controllers?

Why would you ask for a driver when it's obviously working in the Windows Control Panel? It has to have working drivers for that. There's no such thing as "MAME drivers." You, know, these things usually aren't plug'n'play. You have to tell MAME what buttons you want to do what.

I keep legacy versions and recent versions of mame, it has not worked in any of them. I did not say anything about a proprietary mame driver. A usb device can have more than one driver and I simply was asking does any one have a driver which works with the controller that mame can recognize.

Are you seriously implying I would not be intelligent enough to had already tried to configure the controller inside mame. Usb controllers are plug and play, you plug them in and assign buttons/stick configuration inside mame except the X controller does not see the stick inputs

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I keep legacy versions and recent versions of mame, it has not worked in any of them. I did not say anything about a proprietary mame driver. A usb device can have more than one driver and I simply was asking does any one have a driver which works with the controller that mame can recognize.

Are you seriously implying I would not be intelligent enough to had already tried to configure the controller inside mame. Usb controllers are plug and play, you plug them in and assign buttons/stick configuration inside mame except the X controller does not see the stick inputs
I did not have enough context to know your level of understanding with PC/MAME configuration. As far as I knew, your 10+ years of experience here were primarily with original hardware. I thought you might have expected it to work like XBOX controllers in Windows (and others modern PC controllers conforming to the same DirectInput standard), with the buttons automatically mapped and the game aware of your controller's button labels/colors. They've been doing this since ~2005, but MAME games are simply too varied for there to be a single default mapping.

Now, because MAME is open source there are a billion and one different ports of MAME for 32/64bit Windows with input and UI being one of the main things differentiating them. I'm going to guess that you're using the one they guide you to from MAME.net. If it does't support whatever type of joystick Windows detects I would look at another MAME port with more flexible input options.

I don't know if this is still a problem, but I remember having a lot of trouble with PC software seeing a joystick that I plugged in after launching the software. Maybe you just need to reboot with the stick plugged in and try again.

I think I explained what I meant by it not being plug'n'play for MAME when I explained that MAME "usually" still requires button configuration (some ports won't). Do you have any other joysticks plugged in at the same time? I have seen that cause issues. If it doesn't see some buttons and does see others then it may be a case of the driver configuring the directions as a hat switch on a flight stick or something and the software not supporting DirectInput hat switches as button inputs (I've seen that before too).

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The controller is for mobile mame gaming on my lunch break using my Samsung Q1U and JXD, the 8Bitdo NES30 PRO I use is cool and portable but I wanted to try something different.

Now I don't feel sorry that SNK put a gun to Tommo head to get them to stop making this garbage. I have owned dozens of controllers over the years and until now all of them excluding the X have worked with mame. I bought this piece of crap especially for mame. If I can even source a build of mame that supports this turd it will suck I will be locked to just using that particular build with the controller

I am on the fence about just returning this POS or modding it with Arduino into a wireless interface to go with a Omega kit I am planning on buying. If I chose the latter I will actually have to buy another one of these turds which is a dangerous proposition since I have not even gotten to use it in game play so I don't know how responsive it is.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Bummer. I just ordered a broken one to mod into a standard stick. Hope it's suitable for that at least.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Now I don't feel sorry that SNK put a gun to Tommo head to get them to stop making this garbage. I have owned dozens of controllers over the years and until now all of them excluding the X have worked with mame. I bought this piece of crap especially for mame. If I can even source a build of mame that supports this turd it will suck I will be locked to just using that particular build with the controller

Yes, you're using the stick for something it wasn't designed to do, nor officially supported. Fuck you Tommo!

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Yes, you're using the stick for something it wasn't designed to do, nor officially supported. Fuck you Tommo!
The "U" in "USB" means what now? ;)

It actually might've been easier to make it pin-compatible with the original and not use USB. It's very likely that they intended to sell to people who were using it for other, "universal," purposes. They do sell it separately and there is a demonstrated market (me, the OP, the guy in the video I just linked who bought two, ...).

Because the video shows it working with MAME and doesn't mention a specialized port, I assume we're dealing with a different issue anyway.

So, OP: any luck?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Shut the fuck up, the adults are talking here.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
The "U" in "USB" means what now? ;)

It actually might've been easier to make it pin-compatible with the original and not use USB. It's very likely that they intended to sell to people who were using it for other, "universal," purposes. They do sell it separately and there is a demonstrated market (me, the OP, the guy in the video I just linked who bought two, ...).

Because the video shows it working with MAME and doesn't mention a specialized port, I assume we're dealing with a different issue anyway.

So, OP: any luck?

I outright said some people got the controller working with mame.

No mine still will not so it ls scheduled for modding at this point, really glad I didn't buy a neoX

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I outright said some people got the controller working with mame.

No mine still will not so it ls scheduled for modding at this point, really glad I didn't buy a neoX
It's not a quality control issue if all your buttons and switches register in the Windows Control Panel. If it normally takes any special setup beyond that then I would expect others to mention it. Pretty sure we're barking up the wrong tree with that. Do you have any other joysticks connected simultaneously?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I dunno why you're wasting your time with that controller, it's not as beefy as the original one. However I have used it in windows 7 64bit with no issues whatsoever, this is just a Dell computer, nothing fancy about it.

Are you using command line MAME? I suggest MAME GUI, solely 'cause it's more on par with working with anything hardware related that works with windows. Also, there's the possibility that your MAME isn't "saving" the settings for accepting controller inputs, remember that MAME prioritizes keyboard inputs over any other peripherals. Take a look at the dialogue, you can open it with wordpad, notepad, any text tool, there under setting you'll see the controller input section, make sure it's got the right value, as in yes or no.

As a last resort you could always try JoytoKey if your computer does recognize the NGX controller under windows. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
I dunno why you're wasting your time with that controller, it's not as beefy as the original one. However I have used it in windows 7 64bit with no issues whatsoever, this is just a Dell computer, nothing fancy about it.

Are you using command line MAME? I suggest MAME GUI, solely 'cause it's more on par with working with anything hardware related that works with windows. Also, there's the possibility that your MAME isn't "saving" the settings for accepting controller inputs, remember that MAME prioritizes keyboard inputs over any other peripherals. Take a look at the dialogue, you can open it with wordpad, notepad, any text tool, there under setting you'll see the controller input section, make sure it's got the right value, as in yes or no.

As a last resort you could always try JoytoKey if your computer does recognize the NGX controller under windows. Hope that helps.
Good advice. I was all prepared to see how it works in MAME when mine arrives in a couple days, but I'm sure Joy2Key will handle it regardless.

I'm bothering with it mostly as a test-purchase before I buy up to four for my two MVS boards. A childhood acquaintance has been asking me to get him a cheap Neo since the '90s (after his mother pawned his AES). I finally convinced him to take a consolized MVS if I can fix it. Decking out two MVS boards would be prohibitively expensive to do with the originals.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Get a cheap Supergun, get a MV1FZ, or B, you know the smaller MVS boards, they're pretty inexpensive. Then you'll be all set with MVS, a decent cheap supergun could very well go under 200 bucks. There's RGB (member at shmups) who makes my favorite SG at the moment but it's RGB only, however you can still make it work with component with a cheap converter if needed. This way you'll not only have access to MVS but anything else Jamma related, you never know when that CPS2 fever kicks in...

As for controllers...I strongly suggest to go for a custom route, you can get cheap MadCatz sticks and just replace the parts, add a DB15 with a break out so there's no soldering required and plug the right holes accordingly, not only would it be cheaper in the long run but you'll learn a lot about how things work and you'll end up with superior hardware.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Well, I got my as-is/not-working stick today and it actually works perfectly... Windows 10 and MAME. I did notice that you can set the UI directional controls independently from the Player 1 directional controls. This is almost certainly the source of your issue, OP. Once I had them set/configured in both menus and saved my configuration, the Neo-Geo X controller worked perfectly.

Get a cheap Supergun, get a MV1FZ, or B, you know the smaller MVS boards, they're pretty inexpensive. Then you'll be all set with MVS, a decent cheap supergun could very well go under 200 bucks. There's RGB (member at shmups) who makes my favorite SG at the moment but it's RGB only, however you can still make it work with component with a cheap converter if needed. This way you'll not only have access to MVS but anything else Jamma related, you never know when that CPS2 fever kicks in...

As for controllers...I strongly suggest to go for a custom route, you can get cheap MadCatz sticks and just replace the parts, add a DB15 with a break out so there's no soldering required and plug the right holes accordingly, not only would it be cheaper in the long run but you'll learn a lot about how things work and you'll end up with superior hardware.
Thanks. Already ordered the major parts to build a DIY Supergun for the working board (original MV-1). The one I need to fix is an MV-1FZ, which is better suited for consolization anyway.

The MV-1 has joystick ports on it so I plan to cut up a DB15 extension I happened to already have to turn the Neo-Geo X stick into a Neo-Geo stick. If it goes well, I'll do that one more time for the MV-1 with the second extension I have (they were originally going to be custom Atari 5200 sticks). If I can get it working I'll use the female ends of my extensions to add ports to the MV-1FZ during consolization and then do a couple more Neo-Geo X to Neo-Geo joystick conversions.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Prolly more cost effective to just buy a couple of original NG sticks.

Yes you're right about mameui, keep in mind also that mame settings in windows always handles the directions as a hat POV input directions instead of absolute directions. If ever using joy to key you have to set the directions to POV inputs.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Prolly more cost effective to just buy a couple of original NG sticks.

Yes you're right about mameui, keep in mind also that mame settings in windows always handles the directions as a hat POV input directions instead of absolute directions. If ever using joy to key you have to set the directions to POV inputs.
I'm getting the sticks for $21 and already have two of the deep Neo-style DB15 extension cables, so this is definitely cheaper than original sticks and the savings will definitely add up when I buy four. :)

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I thought you might have expected it to work like XBOX controllers in Windows (and others modern PC controllers conforming to the same DirectInput standard),

This is backwards. Xbox 360 controllers use Xinput, most others use DirectInput. This is the same issue with Steam, where Xinput controllers work fine but DirectInput are not detected except for the calibration in control panel.

So it seems the option there is to find an Xbox 360 controller of the type you need, or use a hack/emulator to get your controller to be detected as Xinput. The same thing where there is no drivers for PS3 USB controllers, and their driver is just one that tricks Windows into thinking it is an Xbox 360 controller.

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
This is backwards. Xbox 360 controllers use Xinput, most others use DirectInput. This is the same issue with Steam, where Xinput controllers work fine but DirectInput are not detected except for the calibration in control panel.

So it seems the option there is to find an Xbox 360 controller of the type you need, or use a hack/emulator to get your controller to be detected as Xinput. The same thing where there is no drivers for PS3 USB controllers, and their driver is just one that tricks Windows into thinking it is an Xbox 360 controller.
Yep, but the current build of MAME64 seems to work fine with this stick without doing anything like that (stick is DirectInput). I'm pretty sure his issue is between configuring it for the UI versus configuring it for the emulated game, especially because he seems to describe it seeing the buttons but not the stick (directional input). This is also how mine acted before I configured anything, but I knew I was barking up the right tree as soon as I saw that directional input from this stick was seen as a DirectInput hat switch. He probably configured the stick to work in one of those two places and not the other and/or may have lost/not saved the settings while experimenting (assumed it didn't take his directional mapping because it wasn't working in the MAME menu even though buttons were; quit without saving; now directional input doesn't work in the game either).

Last edited:

CZroe

Zero's Secretary
Figured I'd share now that I got my order in:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122344454899

They started with "More than 10 available" but it said "9 available" after I ordered my first and it said 8 available by the time I ordered 6 more (leaving 2). Yeah, so it seems that others are buying these at $22 shipped and they probably won't last long. I ordered at least one more than I needed in case some really are broken and I really do need some spare parts.

Better than these crappy things that I considered ordering to mad back when they were $24:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0042PXJT8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_KCEPyb9NE0WG6
It seems that the release of the NES Classic Edition has spiked that price.

Last edited: