How can you test a if a CPS2 A board is on without a B board

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Hi, I picked up a CPS2 A and B board. I watched the guy test it with a working b board, tested all the buttons etc.and all was good. He bundled it with a daily b board which he also showed me. It's not suicided but a board issue.

Anyway, now that I have it home I was wondering if there is any way to test the state of the A board without a working B board? The fan is powering on....Anything else?

Apologies for being a n00b!

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Hi, I picked up a CPS2 A and B board. I watched the guy test it with a working b board, tested all the buttons etc.and all was good. He bundled it with a daily b board which he also showed me. It's not suicided but a board issue.

Anyway, now that I have it home I was wondering if there is any way to test the state of the A board without a working B board? The fan is powering on....Anything else?

Apologies for being a n00b!

Short answer, you can't if you have no b board

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
LOL, OK. So no way to bring up a cross hatch or anything like that as per the MVS?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd buy a bootleg board for the lowest price possible and keep as a test cart. ;)

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
So I have a proper working game board that I saw working in a cab. I bring it home and it seems to crash or hang after the Q-Sound logo. It's a SF Zero board that's been phoenixed.

Anyway I run everything with my Supergun and noticed that it's running just below 5v. Is it not getting enough power? The MVS stuff runs just over 5v. Is this likely the issue? If so, how does a tech n00b fix this?

Any help much appreciated!

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Non-arcade power supplies like the ones that come with superguns can have issues with CPS2, yes. Are you testing voltage directly at the edge connector?

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Nope, not testing at the Jamma connector. The supergun has a digital volt meter, that's where I'm getting that voktage info from.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
So I have a proper working game board that I saw working in a cab. I bring it home and it seems to crash or hang after the Q-Sound logo. It's a SF Zero board that's been phoenixed.

Anyway I run everything with my Supergun and noticed that it's running just below 5v. Is it not getting enough power? The MVS stuff runs just over 5v. Is this likely the issue? If so, how does a tech n00b fix this?

Any help much appreciated!

My best reads for voltage are at the furthest IC from the connector, but if it's reading <5v at the connector, then it's probably less than that at the IC.

CPS2 games are power hogs, too. You may need to adjust the voltage higher, at least until the digital volt meter says 5v, possibly up to 5.1v. Before you do that, see if you can run a memory check at the test menu. It could be that the Phoenix chips need to be reseated.

Edit: remember to adjust the voltage slowly before each test, and have a way to remind yourself to adjust the voltage before you switch out to other PCBs.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, I had to bump up my PSU quite a bit go get CPS2 to run on my consolized unit.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Yeah, I had to bump up my PSU quite a bit go get CPS2 to run on my consolized unit.

I had this problem with my E2 awhile back. AVP would power on and cut off. Turns out the 5v was at closer to 4. I used James PB adapter with the multimeter and put mine at 5.1 like Joe did and now I have no problems with it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I wonder if Raz has a workaround for this to allow some kind of test menu without a B board?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If you have any power supply in which you have to tune the 5 volt out to compensate for different loads than you are either running a good supply at its maximum output and killing it slowly or you have a shitty power supply altogether. A good power supply has a constant current/voltage output regardless of any load that is within operating parameters, you should never have to dial it in.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I hate my n00bness. I'm not getting anywhere sorting out this voltage issue with my supergun. It's uses a laptop style PSU but the supergun pcb is this one (Mak Strike V3):

http://bencao74.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/supergun-mak-strike-new-arcadeforge.html

I was hoping there would be a petintionmeter on the board to make adjustments or is this just wishful thinking? I couldn't find anything...The I read this about this board "This supergun PCB offer a 5V voltage display. Yes, simply this. Benefit from this new feature and tune the 5V accordingly to your arcade PCB. There is no need for messing around with an external Multimeter" What does this even mean?

Going back to play some Neo....

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I wonder if Raz has a workaround for this to allow some kind of test menu without a B board?

It would be nice there there was a way, unfortunately there is no boot ROM on the 'a' board.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I hate my n00bness. I'm not getting anywhere sorting out this voltage issue with my supergun. It's uses a laptop style PSU but the supergun pcb is this one (Mak Strike V3):

http://bencao74.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/supergun-mak-strike-new-arcadeforge.html

I was hoping there would be a petintionmeter on the board to make adjustments or is this just wishful thinking? I couldn't find anything...The I read this about this board "This supergun PCB offer a 5V voltage display. Yes, simply this. Benefit from this new feature and tune the 5V accordingly to your arcade PCB. There is no need for messing around with an external Multimeter" What does this even mean?

Going back to play some Neo....

It probably means you don't have to check the voltage with a multimeter since there's a display to tell you.