Removing scratches & scuffs from a Neo Geo AES

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
When I clean up retro consoles to remove blemishes and light scratches I've had good success with just a Magic Eraser.

I recently purchased an AES and I'd like to give it a restoration treatment to remove as many of the light scratches & scuffs that I can.

Can anyone recommend what the best product / application is? I know Magic Erasers shouldn't be used on painted logos and surfaces with a sheen as it can quickly dull the area. Any advice would be appreciated!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'd just take it apart and clean the shell with warm water and dishwashing detergent - what you can't remove that way to me is just battle damage/character/history.

Then again, I'm a MVS fuck, so what do I know.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
2784_lg.jpg

I actually use this when cleaning up rougher consoles. It really helps to take off spots where something has left a different colored mark on it from it rubbing against something. Not sure how it would work on an AES, but I've used it to clean up NES, Genesis, SNES (both systems and carts). I would just recommend not using it on anything with a piano finish as it can dull it. I use it mainly for stickers that goo gone can't get, markers markings on carts, and colored marks. I think in your case just do what was mentioned before and take it apart and clean the shell carefully. If there are some rough spots you still see you can try the polish. Just try using it in a small area first to see how it does before you go all out. Main rule of thumb - stop messing with if you're going to or start making it worse.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on that Meguiar's stuff. I will probably pick up a bottle and test it out. And yes, the obvious rule is start on a small area out of sight and see how it looks before going to bigger areas.

Here's an example of Dish Soap & Magic Eraser.

30412957521_d83e65af53_c.jpg

30499664155_8f210edee6_c.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I use a lot of magic erasers for interior trims in cars. In case it's not common knowledge you can buy it unbranded on eBay and amazon for an absolute fraction of the price of the ones in the supermarket.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Magic eraser works great on white consoles. I don't know how well it will work on Darker Consoles. I'm going to try that plastx as well. I have a Genny that I want to clean up.

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I'm going to try the Magic Eraser on a spare Genesis and see how that goes first.

Xionn

n00b
I'm going to try the Magic Eraser on a spare Genesis and see how that goes first.

I stumbled on this video the other day when I was entertaining the idea of restoring an AES stick.

Skip to the 35m mark and he shows the after effects of the magic eraser on the plastic. I assume it'd have the same effect on the console. While it shows discoloration due to the use of the magic eraser, he uses bicycle oil to bring back the shine. He also recommends Armor All to achieve the same effect.

Best of luck!

mhell06

n00b
Can you post name and brand of that product? Don't have access to view pictures on this forum for some reason. Is it Meguiar's PlastX perhaps? Thanks.

I have seen Luke Morse's video before. I think it looks a bit too brutal to me :). Also, doesn't bicycle oil get sticky? Could that be a problem with other polishes like PlastX?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That Advantage looks sweet after the cleanup!

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
nice! i have quite a few consoles and controllers that could use this. Thanks for the tip

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't see that this is a good thing, he just rubbed it with oil, once you wash it away (with a scrub of isopropyl alcohol or anything else) it will almost definitely just go back to how it was before. :/

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I don't see that this is a good thing, he just rubbed it with oil, once you wash it away (with a scrub of isopropyl alcohol or anything else) it will almost definitely just go back to how it was before. :/

Don't, then.