Samurai spirits 2 gameplay.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Soooo has anyone got any tips for how to play as I suck balls at it on single player. I can't help but try and play it like any other fighter from that time and after 2 or 3 opponents I start getting smashed. How should I be approaching it?

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
There was one issue I kept on facing when playing the SS series. I thought I could play it like I play Street Fighter II. Once I realized that the game was its own beast, I started playing better. Also, you need to put in the time as this series is rather deep. The play mechanics and various fight styles varies as well. Absolutely love the series!

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
That seems to be my problem. Trying to rush them and use special moves.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Play as uyko, learn the specials

profit

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Ukyo is God tier in this game.

Check out this guy's channel. He always uploads high level matches from various fighting games, SS2 has quite some videos

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Soooo has anyone got any tips for how to play as I suck balls at it on single player. I can't help but try and play it like any other fighter from that time and after 2 or 3 opponents I start getting smashed. How should I be approaching it?

That is a bit broad. You might want to pick a character you want to main, and move from there.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Your normals are match deciders here. Almost more so than any other 2d fighter from this era. Pokes are necessary fundamentals in any fighter, but knowing when to dodge and counter hit for heavy slashes or combos can make all the difference in this game. If combos aren't your thing and you're having trouble memorizing some good bread and butter combos, learn the range and proper use of your normals. Knowing when to land that meaty heavy slash and when to poke for easy counter damage is an easy place to start.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
The system kinda works like SFII, but gives you more options to hang yourself. If you remember stuff like throwing out a Blanka Ball and someone countering you with a Fierce Shoryuken and watching a ton of life go away all at once. Well that's because the total counter damage is the damage that the Blanka Ball throws out with the damage of the Shoryuken. Samurai Shodown II works the same. So yes Heavy attacks take a lot of damage, but when a Heavy attack gets countered with a Heavy attack you get a ton of damage X2.

The biggest noob mistake people do in Samurai Shodown II is throwing out Heavy Attacks all willy nilly and getting countered. When you throw out attacks take into consideration getting countered by the opponent. Lights and Mediums make a ton more sense to throw out more because they are faster ergo harder to counter and if countered aren't as devastating as a Heavy getting countered.

Also most specials and supers have a lot of vulnerability after the move so again be careful how you throw them out.

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
I learned that using special moves is not the way on this game. However I'm not that good, but I finished all first 4 games (at the beggining I had to go on easy level, then I got medium). I used Haohmaru, using had slash is good, but some the AI gets used, and then medium slash gets better, it is faster and has a great reach. Depending on enemy you can keep low and wait for his jump and do a hard slash. Or medium slash if he approaches walking. Only when enemies gets far I used a tornado, some times you can use it to force the enemy to jump. A combo that some times I used is the jump hard slash and then the Ougi Kogetsu Zan. I did not get Ougi Kogetsu Zan to work on jumping opponents (as on SS2 Shoryuken), the probability he hits you is higher than you getting him. I don't known it is the best, but I got though it using most hard and medium slash (on rare cases the medium low kick is good)