Mattblah's significantly reduced Neo Geo collection...

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Some of you may have noticed I have been reducing the collection recently. This is for a number of reasons, growing up and needing money for a house, feeling like I'd hit a brick wall because I could no longer find or afford any of the games I wanted, and of course the release of the Neo SD.

I had around 50 AES and 45 MVS games, but I decided to cut it down to a range of my favourites. I am pretty much there now, so I thought I'd share the collection I have ended up with.

This is the Neo Geo shelf, showing most of my collection...

The top shelf has my boxed English console, with a bean controller and memory card in there which I never use (I hate the bean controller, and have a Turfmasta memory card that I use for saves). I don't know how I picked up an unboxed AOF, but for it's worth I'd rather just keep it on display...

Next is the main event, the AES collection. I've pretty much kept it to my absolute favourites, games that I play over and over again. For example, I love the Fatal Fury series, but it's always the two Specials that I go to, so I just kept them...

Then there is the MVS collection. Mostly shooters and run and guns. Again, games that I go back to time and time again. Ignore the MS6 in there. It will be replaced with part 3 when I find one...

The bottom shelf was free, so I thought why not display my unboxed Japanese AES. It's a thing of beauty, so deserves to be on display...

The rest is all packed away in draws beside the shelves.

Here's my Jamma Nation CMVS I bought from Xian Xi...

My Hori Fight Stick, courtesy of bogard here on the forums...

The NeoSD...

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
My rather pathetic NGPC collection. The handheld is absolutely mint, so I kept it despite selling my collection of games a couple of years ago...

And last, and most definitely least, is my SNK PS2 collection. I've just picked these up cheaply over the years. They rarely get played, but it's nice to have them for when the PS2 comes out...

And that's it. Not the most exciting collection, but it's all games I love and play. There are a few I'd still like to add, and I want to exchange my Magician Lord and Cyber Lip for Japanese copies at some point, but nothing I am in a rush for.

Last edited:

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Looking good Matt!

A nice tidy display and good selection of games!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Nice to see some rational thought when it comes to a collection :)

Good stuff

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I've pretty much kept it to my absolute favourites, games that I play over and over again.

This is totally the way to go. Taking this approach not only saves money in the long run, but also allows players to learn even more about the games they love via hours invested. You get to spend more time playing what captivates you rather than always hunting for the next game.

Very nice curated collection! Thank you for sharing it.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I like it Matt! I especially like how you are keeping only the games you actually play. Good job!

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Nice! I'm only a couple short on the MVS of where I want to be with "essentials". Surprised no DC love.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Looking good Matt. I'll have to pick up a NeoSD one of these days.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
Very nice!
It must of been hard to get rid of some games even if you don't play them much.
Glad you kept what you wanted, plus with the neosd, you'll still be able to play the ones you got rid of.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Nice! I'm only a couple short on the MVS of where I want to be with "essentials". Surprised no DC love.

Ah, I forgot DC because it's on its own little shelf. I only have Mark of the Wolves and KOF Dream Match.

Very nice!
It must of been hard to get rid of some games even if you don't play them much.
Glad you kept what you wanted, plus with the neosd, you'll still be able to play the ones you got rid of.

It really was, especially to start with. I spent a good few months contemplating it, even before the SD was revealed. I'm happy with what I have kept though, and can always pick up anything I miss in the future, although maybe not at the same price I sold for.

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Very nice.

I sold all mine about 5 years ago and really regret it. I've just picked myself up a Jpn AES with Sam sho 2 and a loose ninja combat so I'm just starting again.

BTW that Mark of the wolves looks really sexy! ��

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I like it Matt. Nice setup and always liked displaying the Neo Geo!

StalkS

New Challenger
Looking good Matt - I have to say that I was lucky enough to help with the "culling" - You were not kidding when you said that Kabuki Klash needed a clean - I think it might of actually had sentient life inside it!!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Looking good Matt - I have to say that I was lucky enough to help with the "culling" - You were not kidding when you said that Kabuki Klash needed a clean - I think it might of actually had sentient life inside it!!

When I bought that cart I opened it up and a dead beetle fell out :lolz: True story. I can't even imagine what that cart has been through.

I hope you had some luck cleaning it. I always meant to give it a proper clean but never got round to it.

StalkS

New Challenger
The bug does not surprise me at all!

I'm still hard at it! The boards have been soaking in Isopropanol and gently toothbrushed and look almost brand new, but still getting the graphics artefacts - Gonna press on with a third round of cleaning - this things' going to work if it kills me - The fumes probably will! Cheers!

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Not a bad collection Matt! Too many duplicates for me, but I'm a cheap ass ;)
If you're ever looking to sell that NGPC charger, LMK ^^

I'm still hard at it! The boards have been soaking in Isopropanol and gently toothbrushed and look almost brand new, but still getting the graphics artefacts - Gonna press on with a third round of cleaning - this things going to work if it kills me - The fumes probably will! Cheers!
good luck! Isopopanol shouldn't be necessary to clean the boards though... just use some dishwashing detergent and rinse with dematerialized water, then dry thoroughly.

for the contacts you should use a good cleaner like DeOxitD5 - if it still doesn't work, check the solder points, maybe something just needs to be reflowed.
Good luck!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Not a bad collection Matt! Too many duplicates for me, but I'm a cheap ass ;)
If you're ever looking to sell that NGPC charger, LMK ^^

Thanks, and will do.

Not sure about duplicates though? Only one copy of each game, or do you mean having 5 different KOF, etc.?

xsq

Not sure about duplicates though? Only one copy of each game, or do you mean having 5 different KOF, etc.?
I was reffering to the 2 home consoles ^^ but I guess you can say one is JPN the other is ENG. I'm just splitting hairs as usual.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I was reffering to the 2 home consoles ^^ but I guess you can say one is JPN the other is ENG. I'm just splitting hairs as usual.

Ah, of course. I did consider selling the spare, but not being very technical I thought having a back up might be useful in the future.

StalkS

New Challenger
good luck! Isopopanol shouldn't be necessary to clean the boards though... just use some dishwashing detergent and rinse with dematerialized water, then dry thoroughly.

for the contacts you should use a good cleaner like DeOxitD5 - if it still doesn't work, check the solder points, maybe something just needs to be reflowed.
Good luck!

Thanks for the tips xsq i'll give it ago not sure if i'll be able to source DeOxitD5 in the UK

xsq

Thanks for the tips xsq i'll give it ago not sure if i'll be able to source DeOxitD5 in the UK
The main idea is to remove any corrosion that has built up over the years (which Iso will not do for you). If you can't find Deoxit D5, a good contact cleaner will be alright.
You can also use a pink eraser, but it won't promote the connection further, like Deoxit does ;)

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
What do you guys think. Stick with the original display, or the new one showing off some of my favourite covers?

#collectardproblems