Dimahoo (CPS2) dead, but battery is good?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
I picked up a Dimahoo from a reputable member recently, supposedly working, with a battery replaced about a year ago. It's not working, just giving a single-color screen. I've tested it with a few different cabinets and A-board (thanks to Terry.330) and had no luck.

Has anyone run into anything like this before? Any thoughts?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
What color is the screen? Do you have the clips to secure A/B boards together?

Try de-casing the A and B boards and plugging them together that way as well.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
1. Did you open the case and check the battery for problems (you know like leakage or deadness)? And,

2. Did you try Raz's Suicide CPS-2 Game Board Tester rom on the board?

http://cps2shock.emu-france.info/download.html

http://snutt.net/arkad/suicidetester/readme.txt

If not, then back to work.
I forgot to mention, I did test the battery and it shows 3.67v (expected voltage is 3.6) So that's good, and the solder joints look good, there's no corrosion or anything else alarming.

I'll have to look into Raz's test
What color is the screen? Do you have the clips to secure A/B boards together?

Try de-casing the A and B boards and plugging them together that way as well.
Screen is orange-y, I think, though I believe it was blue or green on my friend's cab.

I've tried the B-board de-cased, with no luck.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I've had this before on a D&D board and it turned out voltage was the issue in that case. Worth checking what you're getting on the JAMMA edge under load.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Battery sounds good.

As mentioned above, make sure the CPS2 board is getting +5.00v at the edge connector (even though CPS2 will boot at like +4.85v).

And, make sure, other CPS2 (B) boards work in the cab.

Try raz's rom on the board. A dead B board can boot with it; however, a live B board can not boot with it.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
If I had a dime every time a hoe board wouldn't boot I would be rich. If you tried the B board with different A boards and it will still not boot and I assuming you properly seated the B board then what you need to move onto now is checking it with a suicide tester rom.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
You can also double check the program and Q-Sound roms: make sure the roms are firmly seated (pressed down) in the sockets.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was showing like 4.87v on the JAMMA harness under load, and cranked it up to an even 5v... still nothing.

This was a recent purchase, and I sent the seller a message a couple nights ago about how we should proceed; once I hear back from him, likely I'll be trying the suicide test ROM.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
What kind of EPROMs are the ones that need to be replaced when Phoenizing?

I've got a lot pinball guy who can burn eproms for me, but want to have spares just in case.

Of course I'm picking up 27C4096 for the test rom

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
It's the program eproms, which are 27c4096s (on Dimahoo should be eproms 3-6). You can erase and reprogram the eproms already installed there if it has suicided.

Last edited:

mmsadda

10 Year Member
It's the program eproms, which are 27c4096s (on Dimahoo should be eproms 3-6). You can erase and reprogram the eproms already installed there if it has suicided.

Thanks for the clarification! I misread something in the testing guide, hence the stupid question. :)