DS flash cart

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
What's the best one? I have a DSi and a DS lite.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Most reliable is the R4i 3DS. It'll work on any DS or 3DS, but just plays DS games. There's some emulators available that will work on it, such as NeoDS, ScummVM and ones for NES, SNES, Genesis and TG16.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Most reliable is the R4i 3DS. It'll work on any DS or 3DS, but just plays DS games. There's some emulators available that will work on it, such as NeoDS, ScummVM and ones for NES, SNES, Genesis and TG16.

I use the R4i 3DS too. No complaints about it.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I haven't thought about those cards in a while. Yep, my old R4 long gone but here's an old Supercard DStwo and it's still working...

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

yeah thats the one i use. its great

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
got the R4 here works great and its pretty cheap does have a considerable drain on the battery compared to a real cart tho.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Technically the DSTwo is probably the best one, but it's not worth the extra expense over the R4 or the Acekard. It's more expensive because it has an extra CPU that's supposed to help with homebrew and allow GBA emulation, and it does work, but the GBA emulation isn't 100% so I never bothered with it.

AlohaSnackbar

Banned
Acekard 2i was easily in the top 3.
The original R4 was good, but lacks some of the feature of later cards.
If I recall correctly, R4s after a certain point are all knockoffs, as the company that made them went out of business during the DS's life cycle.

If you're not using it on 3DS, just about anything will be fine though.
If you want it to work on a 3DS, it needs to be a DSTwo or some other card that spoofs a retail DS game to bypass the anti-piracy protections in higher firmwares.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Technically the DSTwo is probably the best one, but it's not worth the extra expense over the R4 or the Acekard. It's more expensive because it has an extra CPU that's supposed to help with homebrew and allow GBA emulation, and it does work, but the GBA emulation isn't 100% so I never bothered with it.

The Supercard DSTwo 4-in-1 was not that good. The OS software was a pain to work with, the GBA emulator was okay, the 3DS function was broken and SNES emulation was just garbage. Worst of all, newer 3DS firmware can and will brick the DSTwo 4-in-1. Just stick with the R4i 3DS, it's the most reliable of all.

If you're not using it on 3DS, just about anything will be fine though.
If you want it to work on a 3DS, it needs to be a DSTwo or some other card that spoofs a retail DS game to bypass the anti-piracy protections in higher firmwares.

Such a DS flash card is required for DSi systems as well. Also, there's no "spoofing", those cards actually have a retail DS ROM embedded in them. That technically makes them illegal, unlike most other flash carts which contain no copyrighted code. Just an FYI.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's why I have the DSTwo, the Acekard didn't written in the DSiXL.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
That is interesting. I have an R4 also and never thought about the cause of the battery drain.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
well i transitioned from swapping from cart to just using the flash cart.

i was playing the Ace Attorney games on carts and my battery lasted forever. like i could leave it in standby mode, hell i can leave it open for a while and its fine. With the R4 i noticed that i took a break closed the clam shell, came back and my shit was dead.

motherfucker...

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
+1 to the the R4i 3DS. I have one, and it's great. Plays everything I throw at it in any DS machine.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
thanks for the replies, HMG is hooking me up with a R4i 3DS, my son will be excited to be able to play all the Pokemon games and ol'pops will play some good games when he's asleep.