Capcom CPS1, CPS2, CPS3, Naomi arcade enhancements guide

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Hi all,

I'm pretty keen on getting a cab down the track and I'd really like to get the Capcom arcade experience to go along with my Neo Geo goodness.

That said I have no idea of the technological enhancements made over the past few years with Darksoft, Netdimm, loading games from Raspberry Pis etc. Looks like a good time for retro arcade lovers and I can't help but feel I'm missing out!

All that said, not being an arcade guy I find the CPS1,2,3,Naomi stuff very confusing. What are people using to load Roms? What's needed in terms of hardware to play the games from those 4 Capcom systems?

The other thing that's confusing is that some boards play other boards right? thanks to darksoft? For example wasn't the CPS1 and 2 pretty much the same but with the latter having additional piracy protection?
Doesn't the Naomi also play Atomiswave games again thanks to Darksoft or someone else?

To those in the know this must sound like utter garbage. Sorry guys. Just want to know what I need to start keeping an eye out for in terms of hardware to support those 4 systems. Cheers.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
M'laddo, that name, D******t, is verboten on these forums.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
All you need to play them is a C3PO or better still if you can get an R2D2 that can do those and also MVS.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Why don't you look up the Natomi SB-654S with the memory attachment, it will do all of this for you. It does need programming but once you've got the 55-pin IDE cable and the flasher app it is easy as pie.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
So guessing am on my own on this one? My brain hurts thinking about suicide boards, phoenixing, netdimm, battery replacement, A/B boards, GD roms, bios carts, region locking and so on....

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
you should start with one system at a time so its not too overwhelming.....and expensive lol

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Yep, will be starting with the CPS2 as I have access to an A Board. Need to grab a working B Board and will play around with it a bit first to get used to the system on my Supergun before taking the plunge on a multi-kit.

Do CPS1 games work on the CPS2 multi kit?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Yep, will be starting with the CPS2 as I have access to an A Board. Need to grab a working B Board and will play around with it a bit first to get used to the system on my Supergun before taking the plunge on a multi-kit.

Do CPS1 games work on the CPS2 multi kit?

No cps1 doesn't run on the cps2 multi.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
No cps1 doesn't run on the cps2 multi.

Thanks, going to grab an A board and dodgy b board that's been phoenixed tomorrow. Purely coz it's cheap to have a play. B board has sound issues and apparently tried to be fixed but I'm cool with it as the cost is cheaper than an A board by itself. Want to plug it in and just start having a go at the hardware and take it from there.

Am guessing replacing fans on an A board is pretty trivial? This one is a little loud. Might do the Atromiswave at the same time.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wouldn't bother with the A board fan unless it's on 12 hours a day and it's hot.