Brook PS3/PS4 USB to Neo Geo converter first impressions.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I think your videos are great, Yodd.

The converter's default layout is incorrect for pads -- It should be square for A, X for B. This is what the tototek PS2 > Neo adapter correctly uses. With it as is, jumping and attacking are mapped to the incorrect buttons on the PS3/4 pad.

Just because the buttons are angled like that on the Neo CD pad -- so the angle of A and B is similar to the placement of X and circle, does NOT make them equivalent buttons. They are different controllers, and the way in which you hold them is different. I feel like the people voting in this poll no fuck all about using controllers for multiple systems. Anyone who grew up playing multiple consoles should have learned to be flexible enough to adapt to the different controller styles.

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
This was posted on the Arcade Shock FB page....

An update for everyone on this. The first initial update will be to set the default to the NEO GEO Controller (not pad) layout, which is the rainbow layout. This is how NEO GEO games for the arcade and home were played. All other layouts were custom revisions of arcades, personal, which we understand may be preferable to some, but not the majority. A firmware update has not be set yet, but one is coming. Furthermore, we are looking into other options that will help optimize the experience. Please be patient as it's not just flipping a switch. A lot of programming is involved and this takes time. Thank you for the support for this device and your feedback. When we have another update, we will post it here.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
"a lot of programming"

:lolz:

^ This. What programming? Just change the variables that map to the key assignment and recompile your binary. I guess they're talking about work to change the way re-assigning the buttons work? <shrugs>

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
They know they botched it up...But there is a lot of pride there based on the email responses I got from them. Was kind of surprised at the way they responded at one point as they seemed to be taking it personally rather than handling it professionally.

fuego

n00b
I'm so so glad other people were upset enough about this to pester them! I sent a note begging them to release just the current firmware so I could binary mod it to fix default buttons I was so ticked off. No matter what I can't seem to get my adapters to remap at all :(

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
I'm so so glad other people were upset enough about this to pester them! I sent a note begging them to release just the current firmware so I could binary mod it to fix default buttons I was so ticked off. No matter what I can't seem to get my adapters to remap at all :(

Send it back? Sure the hardware is crap but if you can't remap it's defective....Or is it that the remapping is just so painful and complicated that u can't do it?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
tl;dr Does it support only the normal Neogeo pinout or the extended one for six button (superguns)?

benjiedude

Quiz Detective
The latest Arcade Shock response on the button mapping issue was posted to Facebook today:

We had a meeting with Brook yesterday in their office. The firmware update for TYPE C (majority vote won) will be on Brook's website either the end of this month or early March. It's not a short time process to do this as testing must be done as well and they have some product launches (not all Brook related) coming soon. Thank you for everyone's patience and participation in this.

fuego

n00b
Send it back? Sure the hardware is crap but if you can't remap it's defective....Or is it that the remapping is just so painful and complicated that u can't do it?

It works in all other ways, but the documentation it came with and that is on their site is obviously wrong in just about every way - the button mapping method is wrong and the default buttons they have listed are even wrong, which is a little insane. Really I dont have a super big need to remap if the buttons are neogeo default style anyhow. I don't want to return the things because I'd like to have them to bring the CMVS to tournaments and events so people can sit down, plug in their sticks, and just play on real hardware. Once they release a single firmware for the thing I can edit it to work how I'd like without issue as thats what I do at work every day. (Honestly if they have jtag headers I can probably pull the firmware off myself, I just haven't felt like checking yet and that IS a pain)

I don't think the hardware is crap, I just think it was very poorly rolled out, and the software and usage wasn't thought through well at all. The mapping method suggested here where you just tap a b c d coin start is probably ideal.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
What a freaking shame! This could've have been soo good! Unfortunately it's not! Sticking to my Undamned's.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
It works in all other ways, but the documentation it came with and that is on their site is obviously wrong in just about every way - the button mapping method is wrong and the default buttons they have listed are even wrong, which is a little insane. Really I dont have a super big need to remap if the buttons are neogeo default style anyhow. I don't want to return the things because I'd like to have them to bring the CMVS to tournaments and events so people can sit down, plug in their sticks, and just play on real hardware. Once they release a single firmware for the thing I can edit it to work how I'd like without issue as thats what I do at work every day. (Honestly if they have jtag headers I can probably pull the firmware off myself, I just haven't felt like checking yet and that IS a pain)

I don't think the hardware is crap, I just think it was very poorly rolled out, and the software and usage wasn't thought through well at all. The mapping method suggested here where you just tap a b c d coin start is probably ideal.

This would be great. I've got one of these things but barely use it because remapping buttons is such a pain in the ass--this wouldn't totally fix this problem but would come damn close.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hey guys, Brook have released an update and combo keys let you cycle through 3 different button layouts on the fly. I am going to download it later and give it a go. Assuming it works as advertised it is a much easier setup than before and should appease most people now.

Edit: No Mac support it seems only Windows. Guess I need to borrow someones Windows PC argh!

Edit 2: Ok I managed to update using a friends laptop, awesome firmware fix. The adapter is pretty much perfect and I just spent an hour on Samurai Showdown 2 using my PS4 Hori RAP 4 Kai. You can toggle the 3 modes on the fly by holding the PS button and either R1, T, or C. If this was like it out the box I doubt there would have been any complaints.

Firmware update for the Brook PS3/PS4 to NEOè†￾EO Converter is now live:

http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/NEOGEO/

Notes:
1. After the upgrade, the default button setting is Type C
2. By pressing combo keys you are able to toggle between Type A, Type B and Type C button settings:
(1) PS + R1( D ) -> Type C
(2) PS + Triangle ( D ) -> Type A
(3) PS + Circle ( D ) -> Type B

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Great for those that own it...but I think we're all past this now. Still don't know why a Type D with the top 4 punches on a current stick isn't supported. I think it goes to show that the company is a tech company obviously with a big lack of knowledge about gamers and how they play?!?!

ekorz

n00b
tl;dr Does it support only the normal Neogeo pinout or the extended one for six button (superguns)?

Also would love to know if this device maps more than the Neo 4 buttons... anyone try it on a supergun / db15 input yet?

Is this the only converter out there? Or are there other choices? In the video you use the AES system but later it appears you are using it on an MVS system. Does it work on both? I'm a big SFII fan and this seems like a good solution for me, even with having to remap every time I play. Thank you.
Jim

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Works on either. I just switched because it was easier to demo on the MVS setup

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Might have to bite the bullet and pick one of these up. At least should suffice until I can get my hands on an AES joystick and mod it to my liking.

J-P

NEST Puppet
I saw Todd's review on youtube without realising that there was a thread here. Yeah - the update from Brook makes this very useable and convenient.

Slightly insane of them to release it as it was - it smacks of absolutely zero research.

I like the old Neo Geo controllers, but I have to say, being able to use custom sticks is definitely more solid, but this option + shipping is kinda expesive.

Post-update default mapping works well with both modded sticks (Quanba Q4RAF and Madcatz TF). Mapping 'C' as default has it so that the 8 button setup is LK, LP, MP, HP = A,B,C,D respectively. Start + Select are mapped correctly and no perceptable lag. It would be nice if they had a 'user 1, user 2' configurable setting that stuck though.

Worth noting that for a little more cash, you can purchase the 'universal' board from them and rewire your stick to work on pretty much anything. I don't switch between a lot of consoles these days though - mainly just PC/MAME and MVS/NES/Genesis/PS2.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I picked this converter up recently and for the most part it works except I cannot get the button remapping or turbo functions to work. I'm using an old PS3 sixaxis controller, and I'm wondering if maybe this isn't supported fully. In order to change the button mapping or turbo you have to press the PS button + start (or selct). Doing either of these actions simply turns the controller off. I have to press the PS button again for it to come back on.

Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone tried using the converter with a sixaxis or even dual shock 3 controller? I've also updated the firmware to 1.1 which is apparently the newest.

Last edited:

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
Are the converters coming with the new firmware on them? I might jave to pick one up.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Are the converters coming with the new firmware on them? I might jave to pick one up.

No, I just picked one up a week ago and it had the old firmware. It's easy to update it though.

Now I wish the fucking thing worked as advertised with remapping buttons and turbo working on a standard fucking ps3 controller like they advertise.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I would just like to say that I finally figured out how to remap buttons. What I thought was the controller "turning off" was just it entering programming mode to reassign buttons. So I can confirm it does work with the old Sixaxis controller. Also confirmed it works with a dual shock 4 as well.

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
i updated firmware now i cant add coins unless i hit the button on my supergun.

How do i change it to type c now?

8bitForLife

Crazed MVS Addict
this thing doesnt work with multi slot now after i updated. if i stick more than one cart in i get no coin button. Now if i only have one in I get coin but its on buttons i use to fight Like D. So in multi slot it chances the coin to game select which gives me no coin button unless i want to hit button on the supergun.
anyway to downgrade ;/ cant even enter unibios now wtf buttons are all screwed up

had to set the machine to free play. to get it to work. Does the converter not save setting when i turn machine off i keep having to change to type A

Last edited: