Solution for Nascar's post-season

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
If you're still living over there in Ireland, do yourself a favor and head to the Ulster Grand Prix in August. Motorcycle road racing at it's finest save for the Isle of Man TT.

A friend of mine's grandparents live on part of the track. Every year they have to go out on Friday night and make sure they have enough junk in the house to keep them occupied all weekend because they can't go out after a certain time. But they get a front row seat to the racing. Which is mad popular here. There's a lot of rally stuff in the west of Ireland, everyone out there is a Colin McRae wannabe. But from Dublin to Belfast it's all about motorcycles. The faster, louder, and crazier the better. I'd like to go and see it sometime, and I know if I asked we could probably hang out at their house over the weekend. But the logistics of being in cooped in a house with two old people I don't know, and feeling like a mooch for two days might make me go crazy, or them.

Maybe they'll leave him the house when they pass on, and we can use it as a race pad. Haha

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
WRC and MotoGP are as enjoyable as they've ever been.

If you want really enjoyable racing, watch MotoGP. It's far and away the best race series on the planet currently. Has everything that is missing from every other series. What those guys can do on a motorcycle defies belief at times. Plus, there's no shitty aerodynamic issues, so overtaking is legitimate.

Interestingly, I stopped watching MotoGP the last two years.
Honda was clearly far ahead of anyone, and Lorzenzo was pushing Yamaha about as far as possible. The races were rarely close.

Maybe i'll jump back into the next season; but I agree, it's certainly far more entertaining when there are actual race battles.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Interestingly, I stopped watching MotoGP the last two years.
Honda was clearly far ahead of anyone, and Lorzenzo was pushing Yamaha about as far as possible. The races were rarely close.

Maybe i'll jump back into the next season; but I agree, it's certainly far more entertaining when there are actual race battles.

You really shouldn't have skipped 2015 as that was an epic season from start to finish.

The Honda had a lot of issues in 2015, and Marquez was trying too hard, so he took himself out of contention in a lot of races with DNF's.

2016 was overall a good season, some great races in there. Watch Mugello if you get a chance...race of the year for me across all race series. 9 different race winners over the entire season. Going to a spec ECU helped level the playing field more, as did the Michelin tire switch. Will be interesting to see how the tires are for 2017 and whether we get the same parity in 2017 that we got in 2016. Either way seeing Jorge Lorenzo on the Ducati is going to be fascinating to watch.

I'm a Marquez fan, and this kid is poised to be one of the greatest talents to ever ride grand prix motorcycles. He won his 5th overall motorcycle world championship and is only 23...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like Japanese cars, my brother is a ford man though and when you're a ford man it's a V8 or nuttin. There is literally nothing you can do to sway them, god knows why they aren't that special.

The cars are mostly terrible, strapping a big V8 to it is all that they have.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just found out that the Sprint Cup will Now be the Monster Energy Cup.

Really NASCAR?
Monster Energy?
The epitome of white trash culture.

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
The cars are mostly terrible, strapping a big V8 to it is all that they have.

No replacement for displacement

The best motorsport is supercross. It's all about the rider and less about who has the best ride. It's takes big balls to race supercross

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I thought all of the racing this weekend was pretty good. The stages seemed to actually serve a purpose, but we will see how it works next week in Atlanta.

I am surprised there is no conspricy theroys about a car/driver who's been sponsored by Monster Energy for years (and had monster on the actual car) winning the first Monster title sponsored race.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
This was the first Daytona race I've watched in a decade and it was pretty good.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, I thought it was the best Cup Daytona race in a few years. It was interesting to see the manufacturers work together stronger than ever and the racing was good. I still stand by the Truck series being the highlight of the 3 national series.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This is absolutely no proof of anything...but I watched the last 20 laps of the race last night...

...and it was boring.

Bunch of drivers in a line...running on fumes. Last 2 laps, someone ran out of gas and another guy took the lead/win. The announcers were making some big deal of it and I was just sitting there thinking how boring it all was.

Different strokes for different folks...but NASCAR just isn't for me.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
This is absolutely no proof of anything...but I watched the last 20 laps of the race last night...

...and it was boring.

Bunch of drivers in a line...running on fumes. Last 2 laps, someone ran out of gas and another guy took the lead/win. The announcers were making some big deal of it and I was just sitting there thinking how boring it all was.

Different strokes for different folks...but NASCAR just isn't for me.

Yeah you missed all the action if you only watched the last 20 laps.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
BUMP

Anyone watching this year? Daytona qualifying is today followed by the Clash. Cars seem really fast due to the new ride height, everything honestly looks good so far. Field size is disappointingly small this year so that will take some of the excitement out of the Thursday duels, but that is a byproduct of cost and the charter system. Nascar is on a huge youth movement push right now, this years theme is pretty much youth vs experience.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, the new body looks great. From today's Clash it looks like there could be a issue with the nose lining up with the bumpers for pushing, hopefully it will not cause any major issues.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Once you alienate the diehard/core fanbase, you're going to have little ability to attract the casual fan.

This is going to be a unreasonably lengthy semi-tangent post in 3 week old thread.

First, auto racing and golf in America have this problem of looking around the sport's landscape and seeing how well playoffs and tournament play does for ratings. NCAA March Madness is huge and was probably the thing itself that led to playoff expansion even among the 4 major sports leagues. Baseball 'postseason' was AL champ vs NL champ in the World Series. NFL Playoffs didn't exist, the Super Bowl was the AFL/AFC vs NFL/NFC champion. I don't know what basketball and hockey used to do, but I would bet that it didn't involve taking out only half of the teams that just played 82 games against each other and making the rest start over now that those results are meaningless.

Granted some of this is unavoidable because of league expansion. This was possible in 16 team leagues, not as likely in 30-32 team leagues. But now you have the ridiculous scenario where nearly or fully half of the teams in the league make the playoffs/postseason. Baseball is currently the lowest ratio despite recently adding 2 more teams and stands at 10 of 30, 33% (and I will admit I like how they did the 2nd Wild Card by devaluing the WC over the division winners). NFL is 12 of 32, NBA is 16 of 30, and NHL is 16 of 31. Those last two are especially egregious because they play playoff series that seem to be interminable. Hockey has about 2 months of true off season for the teams that play in the finals.

Anyway, the result is that Nascar has tried to shoehorn some sort of playoff nonsense into a sport that doesn't need it. Look at what adding playoffs did for college football national championship clarity. Not a god damned thing. Fans don't want this shit, advertisers do, leagues do. Nascar is just doing a particularly poor job of selling their changes so it is notable.

Second major point and why I quoted DK's sentence above. To a much smaller degree I feel like this statement is the NFL's current problem in a nutshell. Sure they were starting downhill from Everest while Nascar was starting from the top of the town dump, but both are losing viewers in my opinion because they tried to make their product mean something to everyone. The early 2000s-ish boom for Nascar was a total illusion. It brought a wide variety of people in. Money to travel and camp at races was there, people were spending. Now they think that period was 'normal' for them and they are trying to recapture that wide audience. In the process they made the core product worse and are losing the fans that were there in the 80s.

In the case of the NFL, a large segment of the viewing population watch because it is a social thing to do. They might not particularly care about the team or the game but you get together with friends, eat and drink for a few hours, and ostensibly to watch a game. It is largely or entirely because of the handful of people in that group that actually like football, the rest are along for the ride.

Now, make football terrible to watch, insert all sorts of human interest garbage into excessively long breaks from game action, stop play constantly to review god know what. If you lose that core viewer, that isn't one viewer, that's five or 10 people with them that aren't going to watch if they aren't serving brats and beer on Sunday.

Soccer quite honestly might be the only saving grace for sports in this country and if it has to be the EPL to save American sports, then so be it. Congrats to them for keeping a lot of the garbage that has infected American sports out of their league. At least I can watch a fucking game in under 4.5 hours.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
This is going to be a unreasonably lengthy semi-tangent post in 55 week old thread.

Fyp

as a side note i went to the nascar Hall of fame over Christmas break . it was a fun experience, worth it if your in the area. I used to be a die hard fan but stopped pretty much when they instituted the point system. the 2nd thing that absolutely killed it for me was swapping broadcast stations mid season. the 2nd station never came in ota for me. do they still do that? watched only a handful since then.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah it switches from Fox to NBC half way through the season. NBC's coverage isn't nearly as good as Fox's either imo. I would love for Fox to gain control of the entire season. Many races are now neglected to Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports now which prevents a lot of more causal viewers from watching.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Fyp

as a side note i went to the nascar Hall of fame over Christmas break . it was a fun experience, worth it if your in the area. I used to be a die hard fan but stopped pretty much when they instituted the point system. the 2nd thing that absolutely killed it for me was swapping broadcast stations mid season. the 2nd station never came in ota for me. do they still do that? watched only a handful since then.

Haha derp.

I am surprised that the HoF is still open, that thing is a financial disaster for Charlotte.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I’m way too lazy to look it up. But lithy, I believe the Stanley Cup playoffs was always a best of 7 for two rounds even in the original 6 era. Which would make sense why Detroit would throw octopus on the ice, eight wins to win the Stanley Cup.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
A figure 8 track would go a long way to making it more interesting.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
This is going to be a unreasonably lengthy semi-tangent post in 3 week old thread.

First, auto racing and golf in America have this problem of looking around the sport's landscape and seeing how well playoffs and tournament play does for ratings. NCAA March Madness is huge and was probably the thing itself that led to playoff expansion even among the 4 major sports leagues. Baseball 'postseason' was AL champ vs NL champ in the World Series. NFL Playoffs didn't exist, the Super Bowl was the AFL/AFC vs NFL/NFC champion. I don't know what basketball and hockey used to do, but I would bet that it didn't involve taking out only half of the teams that just played 82 games against each other and making the rest start over now that those results are meaningless.

Granted some of this is unavoidable because of league expansion. This was possible in 16 team leagues, not as likely in 30-32 team leagues. But now you have the ridiculous scenario where nearly or fully half of the teams in the league make the playoffs/postseason. Baseball is currently the lowest ratio despite recently adding 2 more teams and stands at 10 of 30, 33% (and I will admit I like how they did the 2nd Wild Card by devaluing the WC over the division winners). NFL is 12 of 32, NBA is 16 of 30, and NHL is 16 of 31. Those last two are especially egregious because they play playoff series that seem to be interminable. Hockey has about 2 months of true off season for the teams that play in the finals.

Anyway, the result is that Nascar has tried to shoehorn some sort of playoff nonsense into a sport that doesn't need it. Look at what adding playoffs did for college football national championship clarity. Not a god damned thing. Fans don't want this shit, advertisers do, leagues do. Nascar is just doing a particularly poor job of selling their changes so it is notable.

Second major point and why I quoted DK's sentence above. To a much smaller degree I feel like this statement is the NFL's current problem in a nutshell. Sure they were starting downhill from Everest while Nascar was starting from the top of the town dump, but both are losing viewers in my opinion because they tried to make their product mean something to everyone. The early 2000s-ish boom for Nascar was a total illusion. It brought a wide variety of people in. Money to travel and camp at races was there, people were spending. Now they think that period was 'normal' for them and they are trying to recapture that wide audience. In the process they made the core product worse and are losing the fans that were there in the 80s.

In the case of the NFL, a large segment of the viewing population watch because it is a social thing to do. They might not particularly care about the team or the game but you get together with friends, eat and drink for a few hours, and ostensibly to watch a game. It is largely or entirely because of the handful of people in that group that actually like football, the rest are along for the ride.

Now, make football terrible to watch, insert all sorts of human interest garbage into excessively long breaks from game action, stop play constantly to review god know what. If you lose that core viewer, that isn't one viewer, that's five or 10 people with them that aren't going to watch if they aren't serving brats and beer on Sunday.

Soccer quite honestly might be the only saving grace for sports in this country and if it has to be the EPL to save American sports, then so be it. Congrats to them for keeping a lot of the garbage that has infected American sports out of their league. At least I can watch a fucking game in under 4.5 hours.

Good lord lithy