Someone working on Street Fighter 2 port to Neo Geo

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
You got into the neo at a great time, but I think your mileage with it varied from mine.

The neo, as “bad ass” as it was back then circa 92-95, was not the “be all - end all” of high end gaming. Not even close. As much as it turned heads, and had several “can’t put it down” titles, it was always getting outshined & 1-up’d by my SuperGun. Granted, I fell in love with the concept from day one. “play arcade games in your home”. Hell, I was dreaming about that since the 80’s Atari days for that matter. But at the end of the day, it only played SNK arcade games. So it didn’t quench the thirst. The hottest arcade titles were by Capcom, Konami, & Midway. PERIOD. Those were the MOST bad ass games at the arcade and those were the ones you had to have if you wanted to impress.

As great as Fatal Fury, World Heroes, Art of Fighting, and Samurai Showdown were during that time period, Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2 were TEN TIMES better. And I mean like no contest man. For every 2 hours we played the neo, we played 10 hours of SF2 & MK2.

It was a very different time back then. Nothing like today. Today, anyone can play anything at anytime and anywhere, and for free. Computers, lap tops, net books, emulators, smart phones, iPads, portable gaming devices, etc. It’s all out there now. It isn’t special anymore. Hasn’t been for years. It has no value and it holds nobodies attention. Back then it turned heads. It took center stage. It was a presentation that was both impressive and memorable. There was no internet as we know it. The average person couldn’t even find a SuperGun, let alone buy or build one. And even the few that took the time to do the research, would then hit the next brick wall; which was crushing prices. $649 for a neo console and then $200 for a Fatal Fury or Samurai Showdown cart was a fucking JOKE compared to $2,000 for an NBA JAM or an MK2 board.

So yes, having acquired a SF2 cart for the neo back then would have been cool, but it wouldn’t have even come close to solving the problem. Because even though from 91-92, SF2 was the king, by 93, MK had gained ground, and once MK2 hit the scene at the end of the year, the neo started collecting dust within the circles that I was running.

Mate I was playing neo geo games at the arcade from the outset so I got into the system around 1990. What I mean is, and I don't mean to be rude, I don't need a history lesson from you about the arcade\gaming scene.
The best games where coming out left right and center. I didn't care who was making them. I adored FF1, later AoF, World Heroes, etc.
The supergun was not just price prohibitive, as attractive a prospect as it was, that SNK made a home console that played the games that where at the arcade was audacious as fuck, and with the neo you knew games such as KoF and Last Blade would eventually be made. And they where for a time the be all end all, for me anyway.
Thanks though

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
It wasn’t a history lesson. And I apologize if you took it that way as that was not my intention. If anything, I merely got caught up in the moment and felt inspired to share one of my personal experiences. And as I said earlier, your mileage (or history) with the neo surely varied from mine, and from other old timers here.

At the end of the day, the 1988 Capcom CPS system utilized the same Motorola 68,000 & z-80 processor team as the 1990 neogeo did. And World Warrior was a mere 58 megs while Champion Edition was only 62. So there is no way in hell, that with proper programming, that the neo couldn’t have handled SF2, or any other CPS1 game for that matter. And the 6 button thing is also a non issue. The console has 15 pin ports. You simply use other joysticks with it to play it. So up until late 92, a SF2 neogeo cartridge was absolutely at the top of our wanted list. And when I first heard of it’s existence from my friend Jordan, who’s father had seen it during one of his business trips to Hong Kong, I wanted it badly. But by the end of the year, I had already acquired my SuperGun, and so it no longer mattered to me.

But the neogeo was a very powerful system indeed. And it reinvented itself many times during its 14 year lifespan. So I never sold it or stopped playing games on it. I continued to enjoy it. And I also played games on other systems as well. But the true Arcade experience wasn’t completely captured & fulfilled by the neo. It was merely a piece of it. Granted, when they started to court bigger & better 3rd party licensees like Data East & Taito, their slice expanded a bit. But most of the key companies were simply never going to support the system. They couldn’t. The arcade industry wasn’t a home console industry. It just just wasn’t wired that way.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
While there may have been more impressive and popular arcade games back in the day, at the end of the day the Neo wasn't just SNK arcade games; it was also a console, and that's what got me. Just the fact that the specs were beyond any other console available, and the games were actually sitting on the shelves at my local used/import shop, as well as available for ordering online in the magazines. That's what hyped it up.

Then you'd go to the arcade and that same Neo logo and jingle would play, reminding you that all this could be yours to take home...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Guys, if you had arcade titles from Konami and Midway, that was how you impressed people. Subway Sandwiches wanted to hire SuperGun to START as an assistant manager and he had tricks lining up around the block hoping for just the chance to blow this impressive motherfucker.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Guys, if you had arcade titles from Konami and Midway, that was how you impressed people. Subway Sandwiches wanted to hire SuperGun to START as an assistant manager and he had tricks lining up around the block hoping for just the chance to blow this impressive motherfucker.

SuperGun is right though. As much as I loved the Neo, the best games early to mid-'90's were on superior hardware such as the CPS-2 or on custom PCB's. By the mid-90's there were a lot of (technically) superior titles on more advanced hardware available.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
And when I first heard of it’s existence from my friend Jordan, who’s father had seen it during one of his business trips to Hong Kong

Heh, this reminded me of my friend in third grade who told me his mom back in Texas had a motorcycle exactly like the ones in the fourth level of Contra III.

Lunchroom talk about games, good days. Full of bullshit, but good days.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SuperGun is right though. As much as I loved the Neo, the best games early to mid-'90's were on superior hardware such as the CPS-2 or on custom PCB's. By the mid-90's there were a lot of (technically) superior titles on more advanced hardware available.

This is a silly post. Maybe sillier than supergun's post. Who gave a flying cuco what arcade hardware was more powerful (and by this line of argument, desirable) back then? No-one, most certainly not you.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
This is a silly post. Maybe sillier than supergun's post. Who gave a flying cuco what arcade hardware was more powerful (and by this line of argument, desirable) back then? No-one, most certainly not you.

Cool new games ran on better hardware. MvC was never gonna happen on the MVS. So you're saying you'd rather spend your quarter on World Heroes rather than on INSERT-ANY-CPS2-TITLE here? And you're right, I didn't give a shit about hardware. I cared about cool games and even though SNK resurrected the mvs a couple of times with good games (which kept me playing the MVS), it couldn't compete with the hard hitters from Capcom, Konami etc.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Cool new games ran on better hardware. MvC was never gonna happen on the MVS. So you're saying you'd rather spend your quarter on World Heroes rather than on INSERT-ANY-CPS2-TITLE here? And you're right, I didn't give a shit about hardware. I cared about cool games and even though SNK resurrected the mvs a couple of times with good games (which kept me playing the MVS), it couldn't compete with the hard hitters from Capcom, Konami etc.
That's cool that that's your opinion, but in that case, why be here? SRK shut down and you have nowhere else to be?

The "hard hitters from Capcom, Konami". Buddha wept, do you have any idea what you sound like?

And yeah, as much as I love the CPS-2 library, there are a ton of Neo games I would choose to play over any of them (other than maybe Vampire Hunter) in most cases. It's why I registered here and not at some Capcom forum. I don't even know if there is an equivalent forum for Konami fans. I don't know what the "hard hitters" from Konami are even supposed to be. What great arcade games did Konami make in the '90s? I can't think of a single one. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you aren't talking about Dance Dance Revolution or some shit.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
...you'd go to the arcade and that same Neo logo and jingle would play, reminding you that all this could be yours to take home...

Yes. Absolutely true. And my point exactly. But now imagine having that same feeling, yet with almost any game at the arcade; not just limited to the neogeo games. That is what having a SuperGun back then felt like.

The neo was hands down, the absolute best & most powerful console of that time period. I will never take that away from it. And it was a pioneer as for what it did, fulfilling the dream of finally having arcade perfection. But the neo wasn’t born as “the fighting game system”. It began as a general platform. It had more critics then fans for its first 2 years. It later reinvented itself & found its niche with fighting games, which became 33% of its software library. But again, no matter how many fighting games they kept releasing, and no matter how great those titles were for both gamers & operators, SF2 was number one. And as the years passed, Capcom & Midway always had them beat.

Even in other areas, other then one on one fighting.
Capcom’s Final Fight, we get Burning Fight.
1943, we have Ghost Pilots.
Raiden 2, we got Aero Fighters 2.
NBA JAM, we have Street Hoop.

The vast majority of the best arcade games were not by SNK. Not during the neo’s reign, and sure as hell not before or after it. They had dozens of top ten earners make it onto Replay’s charts, and they had a great ROI as the carts were just $500 as opposed to $2,000 for a Jamma kit. But the cash buckets reflected that price point differencial.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But again, no matter how many fighting games they kept releasing, and no matter how great those titles were for both gamers & operators, SF2 was number one. And as the years passed, Capcom & Midway always had them beat.
SF2 was always #1 in arcades. At least in the US. But saying Midway had SNK beat even at any tiny moment, never mind "always", just shows you to be biased with no grasp of reality. Midway?!! I respect Midway for being the little guy who could, but be fucking real for a second.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
NBA JAM, we have Street Hoop.

I prefer Street Hoop to be honest. Data East ftw.

Mortal Kombat was a novelty game and plays pretty shi# today imo.

Waku Waku 7 is a classic and beats all Konami/Midway fighters.

Konami and Capcom had the best side-scrolling beat em ups

Capcom games are pure quality. SNK were up there with them for the fighters and shooters.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I don't know what the "hard hitters" from Konami are even supposed to be. What great arcade games did Konami make in the '90s? I can't think of a single one. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you aren't talking about Dance Dance Revolution or some shit.

Gradius, Parodius, and TMNT are pretty solid.

SF2 was always #1 in arcades. At least in the US. But saying Midway had SNK beat even at any tiny moment, never mind "always", just shows you to be biased with no grasp of reality. Midway?!! I respect Midway for being the little guy who could, but be fucking real for a second.

In the 90's I couldnt have even named you a game by SNK, but I knew who Midway was and played the shit out of MK2.

So I could see Midway "beating" SNK, atleast around where I grew up.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So I could see Midway "beating" SNK, atleast around where I grew up.
This is going to sound arrogant, but yeah, I could see Midway beating SNK in Kentucky. And in Florida, for SuperGun. But there's a whole world out there.

About the Konami games... I guess? I don't think of any of those as arcade games. I think of NES or whatever.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
.... when I first heard of it’s existence from my friend Jordan, who’s father had seen it during one of his business trips to Hong Kong

LOL!

LMFAO!!!!!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

In Chicago, Mortal Kombat 1-3 beat Street Fighter CE, 'HF, S, and ST. CE was the only one that kept a little pace. By the time 'HF came out it was relegated to the back of the arcade. Same with S & ST. Capcom didn't rule until Alpha 2 /X-Men vs Street Fighter.

I always heard Capcom ruled L.A. so it doesn't surprise me that MK didn't do shit out there.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
In Chicago, Mortal Kombat 1-3 beat Street Fighter CE, 'HF, S, and ST. CE was the only one that kept a little pace.
Keeping in mind that Midway was FROM Chicago and used to visit Chicago area arcades personally to push their games, that doesn't surprise me a bit. Watch the making of MK1 documentary sometime.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I prefer Street Hoop to be honest. Data East ftw.

Mortal Kombat was a novelty game and plays pretty shi# today imo.

Waku Waku 7 is a classic and beats all Konami/Midway fighters.

Konami and Capcom had the best side-scrolling beat em ups

Capcom games are pure quality. SNK were up there with them for the fighters and shooters.

Sorry but if any fighting game falls under novelty category, it's gonna be WW7.
MKII shits all over WW7 from the top of mountain where Shao Kahn snowboards.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Keeping in mind that Midway was FROM Chicago and used to visit Chicago area arcades personally to push their games, that doesn't surprise me a bit. Watch the making of MK1 documentary sometime.

Dude I practically lived through it. I knew of 2 arcades where they dropped off their protos. My best friend played MK1 months before it was even officially released. We just knew it as the game that was real and ninjas ripped peoples heads off. That and SF Rainbow Edition were the 2 times I thought he was jerking my chain until I saw it for myself.

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
Sorry but if any fighting game falls under novelty category, it's gonna be WW7.
MKII shits all over WW7 from the top of mountain where Shao Kahn snowboards.

Sorry but MK (any really) only shits on itself. Most broken, unbalanced and borderline unplayable series ever. The only good thing to ever come from an MK game was pure accident, which is juggle combos that were unintentionally created because Ed Boon forgot to remove hurtboxes on airborne characters after being hit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
123►Genei-Jin;4332526 said:
Sorry but MK (any really) only shits on itself. Most broken, unbalanced and borderline unplayable series ever. The only good thing to ever come from an MK game was pure accident, which is juggle combos that were unintentionally created because Ed Boon forgot to remove hurtboxes on airborne characters after being hit.
The early MKs were not unplayable, because people played them. Yeah, they were seriously broken, but they were fun and had a ton of atmosphere.

And one thing I have to give NetherRealm is that between them, Capcom and SNK, I think NRS has done by far the best job out of the 3 of updating their core franchise to modern times while still keeping intact everything the original fans loved about the series. I love both MK9 and X.

I really respect that Midway/NRS was willing to take an L (multiple consecutive Ls, really) and go through the growing pains of figuring out 3D, unlike SNK with multiple tries at dipping their toe in followed by immediately abandoning the attempt and going back to their comfort zone. Although I do think SNK is only maybe 1 or 2 games away from catching up now.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Honestly SNK made an arcade system exclusively for 3d games w/ plenty of 3d titles. Along with that they tried many times over to make 3d games (KOF Max Impact 1,2,Reg A, Samurai Shodown Sen, Metal Slug PS2) The fact is their core audience really doesn't want 3d. When it comes down to it you have to make something someone will buy.

Mortal Kombat lost most of their core audience years ago. Meaning most people who play Mortal Kombat 9 & X hardcore now probably didn't start w/ the 1st 3.They reinvented themselves as great storytellers somewhere between Deadly Alliance and Deception. By that time they really had nothing to lose in keeping w/ 3d.