Anyone installed custom firmware on a new 3DS?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I am thinking about grabbing a Japanese system since Nintendo seems to have no plans on restocking here in the US. I know if you put some cfw on there you can make them region free.

Anyone here done this? Is it a bitch to do?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I actually just did this last weekend using this guide:

https://3ds.guide

I picked up one of the Black Friday Mario systems. It took about an hour or two since I took my time. It is pretty involved but isn't too hard if you follow the guide exactly. The few import games I have work great on it but I haven't had time to really dig into homebrew yet.

Good luck!

MAYAman

n00b
I actually just did this last weekend using this guide:

https://3ds.guide

I picked up one of the Black Friday Mario systems. It took about an hour or two since I took my time. It is pretty involved but isn't too hard if you follow the guide exactly. The few import games I have work great on it but I haven't had time to really dig into homebrew yet.

Good luck!

Can you still get on Nintendos network and E store once you do the mod?

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Did my o3ds and o3ds xl...

Was easy as fuck.

KalessinDB

Mr. Big's Thug
Can you still get on Nintendos network and E store once you do the mod?

Yes. Assuming you don't get banned via say, playing a game online before its release, you can do whatever you want (* for now -- yes in theory Ninty could do whatever they want and ban you, but for now they're not)

Hell, one of the Homebrew apps lets you just straight-up download games from Nintendo's servers free if you're a horrible horrible pirate.

And to answer the OP: It's not hard at all if you follow the guide, just involved (and I did it on an older version of the game, when it took much longer). Plan a couple hours with all the backups, and there's one point where you don't want to let it go to sleep if you have an N3DS... but it's all laid out on the guide.