Neo Geo MVS MV-1FZ picture shifted to the left

samaron

n00b
Hi!

Got a consolized MVS 1FZ and everything works just fine except the picture on the screen is shifted to the left. The result is that the picture is cropped on the left side. This happens on all the TVs I have. Both new flatscreens and the old CRT. A bit annoying to be partially missing text, status bars and such. Anyone have any suggestions to how I can remedy this?

The sync has a 380 ohm resistor, which seems to be okay. I had a 1k pot on it, and anything above 380 resulted in a scrambled picture. Adding a pot to the sync were the only suggestion I could find when searching for an answer, but as expected, it did not affect the picture position.

flash.jpg

Last edited:

samaron

n00b
I assume this isn't a common problem? No experts here that know what is going on or have any educated suggestions? Were thinking of adding an RGB encoder to get different video outputs for versatility's sake. Came across a board from JROK, which seems to do exactly what I want. Perhaps it will also remedy my issue for some reason. Hopefully I can find someone willing to sell one and ship it outside the US.

Took a picture of the crosshatch test pattern with pillars on the side brightened to better visualize how much it is shifted and cropped. As I wrote, this happens on my CRT as well. I have a PVM also, but unable to test it on that screen since it lacks RGB inputs. Will give that one a try as well if I can get an encoder.

crosshatch.jpg

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I assume this isn't a common problem? No experts here that know what is going on or have any educated suggestions? Were thinking of adding an RGB encoder to get different video outputs for versatility's sake. Came across a board from JROK, which seems to do exactly what I want. Perhaps it will also remedy my issue for some reason. Hopefully I can find someone willing to sell one and ship it outside the US.

Took a picture of the crosshatch test pattern with pillars on the side brightened to better visualize how much it is shifted and cropped. As I wrote, this happens on my CRT as well. I have a PVM also, but unable to test it on that screen since it lacks RGB inputs. Will give that one a try as well if I can get an encoder.

crosshatch.jpg

This is not common, even less with LED/LCD TVs, because those tend to show even overscan part of the image. Are you using PAL stuff mixed with NTSC by any chance?

Regards.

samaron

n00b
The MVS is connected with SCART wired for RGB. 75 ohm resistors, 380 ohm on the sync and 100 ohm between pin 8 and 16. The TVs are multi-standard as well (almost all video equipment here in Europe have been so since the late 80s.)

The flatscreen TV is a Panasonic VT60 plasma actually. It does have a 5% overscan it seems, and can only increase it, not disable it. I can see slightly more of the image for some reason if I stretch it. The CRT I have is a Sony Trinitron from 1999 or something, one of those fancy widescreen double refreshrate no flicker TVs. The picture is positioned about the same.

Someone suggested replacing a crystal on the board to bring the video from like 59.3 Hz (or whatever the MVS outputs) to around 60 Hz. I haven't been able to find any further information about that, however.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You shouldn't have to replace the crystal. You shouldn't need any resistor on the sync line.

samaron

n00b
Either way, changing the resistor value on the sync wire didn't change anything with regards to the position on the screen. I just left the resistor there since it didn't matter. The theory with changing the crystal is to make the video signal be closer to broadcast standard. Since I can't find any proper information about it, I guess no one has actually needed to replace it in the past to get the MVS to display properly. Still haven't figured it out what causes this off-center picture problem. If I get my hands on an encoder, I could at least hook it up to my PVM and move the picture around with the adjustments it has. Just a bit depressing it is a 9" monitor.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The encoder doesn't alter the sync pulse. It's a problem with the board itself in the GPU if it's shifted to the left. Return it.

samaron

n00b
Returning the board isn't going to happen since I bought it on eBay. Probably much easier and cheaper to get a GPU and replace it. However, I were able to test out the MVS on a few other TVs. Might seem I just have some really bad luck with how the TVs handle the MVS. Guess the GPU isn't bad.

I brought the MVS to a friend and hooked it up to his Samsung LED TV. Not sure about the specific model, but it was the cheapest he could find. It overscans the picture a bit obviously, but within acceptable limits I guess. The NeoSD menu didn't have cropped text, nor did the games I tried.

samsung.jpg

I also brushed some dust off of my Framemeister and found that the picture isn't cropped at all.

framemeister.jpg

Poked around the settings on my plasma TV and discovered I could manually select what color standard I wanted to use. Haven't seen this setting in any other TV. If I manually selected PAL or NTSC, the picture got repositioned.

plasma.jpg

Obviously I won't be using the plasma for games (which is why the framemeister is collecting dust and kind of forgot about it.) Guess I just have to live with the CRT cropping off the left side a little bit. It isn't as bad as the plasma were, but still almost missing the first letter of games in the NeoSD menu. If I get an encoder, maybe hooking up the MVS with composite or s-video might help.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Overscan is easy to turn off on HDTV's. Just change the wide mode.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
This problem is interesting - I've had the same problem with all my 1FZ boards! On my Phillips TV I do not see the problem at all - perfect picture. Yet on my Panasonic HD TV - this problem happens.

Samaron - have you tried doing what Neo Alec suggested? I am guessing he means toggle through the aspect ratios on your TV to see what if anything happens?

My first thought was its related to the frequency being at 59.18 or whatever it is, rather than bang on 60, but that's just a guess. Anyone know where to find a 24.167829Mhz XTAL? Something I fancy trying anyway just to see what effect it has.

No encoder is being used btw.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You guys might consider an Extron "RGB interface". They can re-generate and re-position the sync pulses in a video signal, to shift the picture around. I've got an RGB202 Plus and it works great for this (and also for adjusting the signal levels, adjusting termination, etc).

samaron

n00b
Yeah, I've tried all sorts of settings. Nothing really helped, but on a friend's TV, there was a "just scan" setting. It would reveal slightly more picture information on the sides, but it was still stretched. Maybe I should consider procuring a small LCD screen that I can use the Framemeister on. That video processor doesn't crop away anything.

Great suggestion, SpamYouToDeath. I'll consider it. Were searching for a device like that earlier, but guess I had a poor choice of keywords. Looks like I can get away with one for just under 100 USD. It'll have to wait a little bit since I used my spending budget on repairing my car this month... At least an alternative to keep using the CRT instead of going the LCD/Framemeister route.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Can you go into the menu or service menu on the TV and re-position the screen? My Sony LCD can do that using just the regular menu options. I don't think there's a problem with the MVS. It's just not gonna work if the TV can't be adjusted.

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yup have this issue on my newest LCD .
All the other (3) LCDs doesn't have this issue. .

My 1fz's have all a sync pot on the sync line, I know u had tried this, but it can minimize a bit this issue

samaron

n00b
My apologies for the late replies.

The TV I use video games with does not have any repositioning settings in the menu. It is a CRT (Trinitron) from 99 or something, probably have a pot on the inside that can adjust the picture. I'm not going to bother finding out, however.

When I connected a pot to the sync line, it didn't change anything. It stayed in the same position.

I have finally managed to get my hands on a JROK encoder board. Perhaps composite or s-video would work better. I'll find out when I get it connected. Still waiting on a few parts to rebuild the MVS into a new case.

saviour79

n00b
I have the same problem with LCD Lg M237WD and with Sony Bravia.

does the framemeister/Ossc resolve the issue?

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I have the same problem with LCD Lg M237WD and with Sony Bravia.

does the framemeister/Ossc resolve the issue?

Nope. My Omega has this issue. I have a small grey bar of the right of the screen because the image is shifted. I replaced the AV board with an RGB board and still have the issue. I'm using an XRGB mini. I just gave up and switched back to my AES. It has better picture and sound anyways.