Windjammers audio issue

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Hey guys, I've got an issue with my windjammers MVS cart. When the crowd cheers after a score I'm getting alot of static and some times the music stops but sound effects stay. I've tried other carts (SS and KOF2000) with no issues. Any suggestions? Thanks! also I'm using a MV-1 in my neo Geo cab.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Try cleaning the cart and MV-1 and clearing the backup ram first.

Lukejaywalker23

I've cleaned the hell out of the contacts with rubbing alcohol and switched the cart slot with an old MV-1 I had laying around. Still doing the same thing. Also I cleared the back up ram.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check for cracked solder joints on the V roms and M1 rom.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Audio issues are common with Windjammers. Sorry I can't help more but you're not alone.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you have a multimeter, check the traces for connectivity on the V and M roms.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Post pics of both cart boards front and back, high res.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I've had issues with 2 Windjammers that passed through my hands and a friend had issues with one as well. One of mine just needed some heavy duty cleaning with some brasso type metal cleaner. The other was a cart that must have been in a very hot warehouse. All the traces and solder connections were brittle. I just reflowed them and cleaned the hell out of it and it's fine. My friend had the same issue and he took his apart and did some heavy cleaning and it worked as well

Lukejaywalker23

IMG_20170122_192239.jpgIMG_20170122_192310.jpgIMG_20170122_192256.jpgIMG_20170122_192330.jpg

Here they are. Is it safe to put in the dishwasher for cleaning? Also they have a shine to the boards that rubs off when I clean areas with alcohol. Is this normal?

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I have the same issue with my cart, can't find the cause either. Sometimes it doesn't have the static, so I've kind of just let it go. Besides, when I'm playing it's always with a friend and the sound is barely audible over all of our shit talkin :lolz:

Last edited:

neogeostyle90

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Here they are. Is it safe to put in the dishwasher for cleaning? Also they have a shine to the boards that rubs off when I clean areas with alcohol. Is this normal?

No, it's not safe.
Your boards are like new.
Check carefully your mvs slot or test it on another slot

Lukejaywalker23

I tried it on another mv-1 I had laying around and it did the same thing. What is the best was to clean a MVS slot?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Electrical contact cleaner and a fine/thin lint free cloth wrapped around something like an old credit card. Spray cloth with contact cleaner, insert repeatedly into slot. Move cloth to new/clean area, wrap the old CC with clean section of cloth, spray cloth with more contact cleaner, repeat until the cloth comes out clean.

Don't bother using rubbing alcohol. That will clean surface dirt, but won't clean any oxidation/corrosion off like proper electrical contact cleaner will. Stop into your local auto parts store and get a spray can of CRC electrical contact cleaner for like $5. Great stuff and lasts a really, really long time. I cleaned at least 200 MVS carts with just one can.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Went and grabbed a pic of the CRC stuff.

2330d46f-5112-4372-a2b8-327c03c9c42d_1.b8a79e36901e5691734677fffe9fb8e3.jpeg

Also I usually just use the glass cleaner version of the shop towels on a roll for cleaning contacts as it doesn't leave lint behind unless you absolutely destroy the towel.

all-towels.png

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I thought I was the only person who bought contact cleaner at the auto parts store! It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the electronics stores.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Correct me if im wrong, but that shiny stuff on your pcb is actually a thin layer of conformal coating, which is several micrometers thick. It acts as a seal to prevent moisture and air from corroding/tarnishing/damaging the board.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_coating

Rubbing alcohol 91% is good, but it isn't anywhere close to as effective at removing tarnish/oxidation as Electrical Contact Cleaner, White Vinyl Eraser, and Deoxit D5.

If you wanna go one step further than Contact Cleaner or a White Eraser, Deoxit D5 does wonders for removing oxidation that contact cleaner doesn't. I usually wipe it on the contacts and let it sit for a few minutes, then i wipe it off and clean with rubbing alcohol as D5 does leave the contacts sticky. Even if pins are nice and shiny, there can still be oxidation. It amazes me that even contacts that look pretty good can be improved with Deoxit D5.

Also I can't stress this enough, make sure your mvs cartridge contacts on the system itself are clean.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I thought I was the only person who bought contact cleaner at the auto parts store! It's a hell of a lot cheaper than the electronics stores.

And that's exactly why I buy it at the auto parts store...

Lukejaywalker23

After more cleaning with contact cleaner it still has audio issues.i guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
How deep do you want to go?

Step 1. Reflow M1 and all V Roms. If not fixed, see step 2.
Step 2: Pull M1 and all V roms off board. Using eprom programmer, compare against the mame set. If any fail, replace them. If all good, see step 3.
Step 3: Find comparable known working donor board (prog 424g-1. Jamma Nation X has a full list of boards) and replace all chips with ones from Windjammers. This will confirm if it is a PCM issue.

For Windjammers, this may be worth it to you, but your call.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
How deep do you want to go?

Step 1. Reflow M1 and all V Roms. If not fixed, see step 2.
Step 2: Pull M1 and all V roms off board. Using eprom programmer, compare against the mame set. If any fail, replace them. If all good, see step 3.
Step 3: Find comparable known working donor board (prog 424g-1. Jamma Nation X has a full list of boards) and replace all chips with ones from Windjammers. This will confirm if it is a PCM issue.

For Windjammers, this may be worth it to you, but your call.

This. All of this.

Also never be scared to clean a neo cart again. Yes, a 5th time. My windjammers has sound issues here and there but cleaning / deoxit usually straightens it out.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
After more cleaning with contact cleaner it still has audio issues.i guess I'm just going to have to live with it.

Talk to XX about this. I had Audio Issues with my Pulstar cart and he fixed the problem.

Saroyan

n00b
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to post and say thanks for the advice given here. My Windjammers cart had the same problems the OP described and I reflowed the M1 rom and all the V roms and cleaned everything again using the CRC electronic cleaner. My cart now has perfect audio!