Garou MOTW concept illustrations shared by Yasuyuki Oda

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Just found this via a Twitter post. It seems SNK producer Yasuyuki Oda has shared a couple of MOTW concept docs on his Facebook.

Not much, but pretty cool stuff!

motw1.jpeg

motw2.jpeg

Source

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
not bad, thank you for posting this. we can only hope there might be more coming :drool_2:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Thank you for sharing this. It's always cool to get a glimpse at the design process.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
nice. would like to see the rest. especially rock and terry's concept illustrations.

Last edited:

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Looks great! Always nice to see art associated with great games. Thank you for sharing this with us.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
So Mr.Oda recently uploaded a couple more of concept drawings, which are pretty interesting. Not from MOTW this time, but Real Bout and KOF 98.

This one is Li XiangFei from Real Bout 2 (referred to just as Fei), which he says he drew in his 20's. I really love the detail in this one.

RealBout.jpg

According to him, this is the first plan for Terry's Buster Wolf, but he says he drew this in 98. IIRC that move isn't included in Terry's moveset until MOTW, so it seems it took a long time from planning to actual execution.

AreYouOk.jpg

Love this stuff, hope he keeps posting them!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That double power guyser would have been pretty sweet. Reminds me of Terry's hidden Desperation Move from kof96 on the gameboy. Terry would perform the animation for the power guyser, the screen would shake, then a bunch of power guysers would erupt from the ground in rapid succession. Was the coolest thing I'd seen until his max power special in kofxi. Good stuff!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

Off topic, it's odd to me how traditional the japs and yet there's English pieces here and there, it's so hypocritical, I dunno, just do it all in English and call it a day. How many games with PITA jap menus, gimme a break!

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
That double power guyser would have been pretty sweet. Reminds me of Terry's hidden Desperation Move from kof96 on the gameboy. Terry would perform the animation for the power guyser, the screen would shake, then a bunch of power guysers would erupt from the ground in rapid succession. Was the coolest thing I'd seen until his max power special in kofxi. Good stuff!

Honestly when I looked at the pic it reminds me of the start of buster wolf going straight into the max power special from KOF XI.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
This kind of stuff makes you realize how much thought and work goes on before a game is made.

Love the Terry concept board, it is not very detailed, but the way it is drawn paints a clear picture.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I remember someone here posted pics of a Terry sprite proto for MOTW, he had no hat and a long brown jacket, sorta like what you see in the sketches here, does anyone remember that? Terry also had a bit of a spiked up hair, kinda mini haohmaru, lol.

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
too bad there no Rock concept art. Def one of my fav Snk characters. I like using him in cvs2, but Terry is so much better. I also need to play more Neo geo Battle Coliseum, gotta try and get the locals into more snk fighters

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
too bad there no Rock concept art. Def one of my fav Snk characters. I like using him in cvs2, but Terry is so much better. I also need to play more Neo geo Battle Coliseum, gotta try and get the locals into more snk fighters

But there is! This one was posted a few days ago by Mr Oda:

rock.jpg

Rock's Raging Storm concept. Looks much bigger in this design than in the final game!

Probably an early concept, since Rock's design has almost no detail (especially in comparison to the previous shared). Kinda reminds me of Yamazaki actually. According to Oda this dates from 98.

Hope he keeps them coming, can't help but wonder why he is digging up this old documents...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Damn, his raging storm would be so good if it was that big

Agreed. Although from a gameplay perspective it would likely still be no functionally different than the giant raging storm geese eventually had :lolz:. Anti jump-ins or cross ups ftw:

geeseragingstorm.jpg

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It kinda reminds me of K' Neo Max move in KOFXIII/ XIV where he just sits there at the end looking spent.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Last edited: