Naughty Battery?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
First time I've seen this, guessing this battery needs to go and quickly? Looks like a little acid has gotten on the pcb, but traces look ok. Any tips for a 2-slut battery job?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Remove it ASAP and replace it with a CR2032 battery. Follow Xian Xi's guide for it, it works great and it's easy to do.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Correct me if im wrong, but I think you can just snip the battery off and it will be good (it won't save settings but oh well). If you have a soldering iron, you can remove it as well but I think a piece of felt cloth stuff is covering the bottom and is glued on.

For the acid damage it really depends upon if the battery is acidic or alkaline. The general procedure is to remove the battery, if the battery is basic use vinegar, if the battery is acidic use baking soda mixed with a little bit of water. Afterwards make sure to clean it up with rubbing alcohol.

You're probably going to have to peel that sticker shit below the battery, some of the acid may have gotten down there.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Dogg, what are you noobing around for?

Like aha said, remove it ASAP. If you want to go the coin battery way, you'll have to remove a resistor as well (the 470ohm, left below the battery to disable the charging circuit). Jamma-Nation-X.com has a tutorial. If you can do without Highscore and Settings being saved, just snip it off like ChuChu said.

As for the leakage:
DON'T USE VINEGAR. [I know I posted about doing just that before - but I know better now.]

Do as follows:
1. Try to clean the spot as much as you can with a dry cloth and then some rubbing alcohol.
2. Mix baking soda with some water to a paste and apply it to the damaged parts with a toothbrush.
3. Let it sit for a short while (20-30 Min.).
4. Clean with distilled/demineralized water.
5. Dry the board. (Hand-dry with a clean and soft cotton cloth. Easiest way to make sure the board is really really dry is heating your oven to ca. 70ーC, then turn it off (!) and put the PCB inside over night.)

Here's why: Mixing an acid (vinegar) with a base (leakage) could lead to a chemical reaction that will further damage your board. Also the proportions of battery leak to vinegar would have to be perfect to really neutralize the leakage and not leave some of the vinegar on the board that will eat through the metal even faster. Backing soda (sodium bicarbonate) is amphoteric, so it will neutralize bases and acids.

Thanks to the people schooling me on this. Read further here and here.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you can do without Highscore and Settings being saved, just snip it off like ChuChu said.

When I used my MV2F board without a battery, it would not play Metal Slug 4 (and I think 5), it would just throw an error saying that the game was designed to be played on original hardware, or something like that. After installing the battery (and disabling the charging circuit) the games played normally again.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's pretty strange considering it's only really there for when it's turned off.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
When I used my MV2F board without a battery, it would not play Metal Slug 4 (and I think 5), it would just throw an error saying that the game was designed to be played on original hardware, or something like that. After installing the battery (and disabling the charging circuit) the games played normally again.

did you make sure to clear the backup ram? It usually corrupts when taking the battery off.