Repair Starter kit???

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Going to take the plunge into modding my own consoles. I'm defiantly not a professional just need a jump off point for the basic needs to get me started. What stuff should I pick up first and should I do the shopping online or pop into home depot?

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
-Soldering iron
-Desoldering pump
-Needle nose pliers
-Screwdrivers
-Various bits for opening consoles (they come in bundles online) and a torx #20 bit for opening CPS2 boards
-I like the small C2032 coin cell batteries with the handles already on them, makes changing them in older games easier

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'll add to the above off the top of my head:
Multimeter with audible continuity beep, and some alligator clips to clip your probes to something so you can test hands-free
Diagonal wire cutters
Blue painter's tape, or masking tape (you'll find a million uses for it)

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I would also recommend practicing on hobby boards so you get the basics down before you try on an expensive system. If you have a frys in area they sell pcb you can add components and wires to.

One useful item I have got recently that is a must own is a good pair of side cutters. These are so good for cutting components flush with the board and no risk of cutting more than you should. Good luck and have fun it is a side of the hobby I just love. I just finished putting together my cmvs after two months of slowly adding a piece here and there. It's also a great networking tool with collectors in your area. I have been paid in games for doing simple mods in my area so definitely a good skill to have.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I've gotten most of my basic tools to start off with at Radio Shack, including a soldering iron, desoldering pump, and lighted magnifying glass/alligator clip/iron holder combo. You don't need to start off with Hakko products.

And a small hobby kit is a good way to start if you have zero experience soldering.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've gotten most of my basic tools to start off with at Radio Shack, including a soldering iron, desoldering pump

I started out with Shack equipment too, and I've grown to hate their Shack branded irons, and their desoldering pump thing killed several PCBs before I got better equipment. They did sell Weller stuff for a while though, which is good.

I'd agree to start small with most of the tools, but if you're going to do a lot of soldering go ahead and splurge for a good iron. You would not believe how much of a difference it makes. The Hakko FX888 or whatever can usually be had for about a hundo at Amazon. Also those wire tip cleaners are vital to keeping soldering iron tips lasting a long time, some iron holders have them built into the base but they aren't expensive on their own. Much better than using a wet sponge in most cases. Also for the solder, do not get the lead free crap.

Also, get a decent screwdriver set. This is often overlooked by the beginner, but is crucial to keeping your sanity. I normally keep around an inexpensive Black and Decker cordless screwdiver around along with a Walmart (lol) screwdriver set that includes bits that work with the cordless and a precision screwdriver set. This is another thing that I usually buy cheap but not too cheap, as I'm just going to lose half the bits sooner or later.

A few other tools that are useful depending on what you're doing:

Stepper drill bit set, great for putting clean holes in plastic. I use the cheap one you can find at Amazon/Harbor Freight. Works fine for occasional use.

Craftsman Screw Extractor Set- kinda expensive at Sears ($30) but it's been a life saver a couple of times when a tiny screw gets stripped.

Metal File Set - If you're doing any case work you need this for a clean finish. You can start off with one of the cheap kits from Hobby Lobby, and graduate to one of the more expensive sets if you end up doing a lot of work.

Ash tray - I'm serious. It doesn't have to be an ash tray, but keep something around to throw screws into, or they will roll off the desk and into another dimension, never to be seen again.

Gamebits - If you're going to open up old Nintendo systems you're gonna need this. They're only a few bucks, don't cheap out and try the Bic pen thing, it sucks. It can also be helpful to get one of the T-Handle drivers to go with it, some of those screws are stubborn and a regular screwdriver could strip it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
(useful stuff)

Definitely, if you know you'll be doing a lot of projects, good irons are a must. I need smaller screwdrivers and maybe even a glasses repair kit set because I see really tiny screws for some things I come across. In lieu of ash trays, you could do a plastic tray with compartments (like ones used for medicine) or a magnetic dish depending on your work.

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
Awesome thanks for the help guys. I'm going to hit up hobby lobby first. I don't have a fry's anywhere close but there is a radio shack near me. Anything I should practice first (leds, taking chips on and off)??

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
To all the previous list, I'd add a flat tip for your soldering iron. Usually, soldering irons come with conical tips, which are not very good. A nice flat tip can make a job easier to accomplish.

Regards.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Don't waste money on "starter" equipment.
Get good equipment first, it takes the frustration out of soldering.

Here's my setup:
Aoyue 968A+ ($175): Temp controlled soldering iron with interchangeable tips and an SMD rework hot air set with interchangeable nozzles.

This has lasted me over 5 years and hundreds of projects. With it, you can solder anything, even simpler BGA components. You can also desolder surface mount chips like TSOP packages and quad flat packs. It is an indispensable tool.

A desoldering pump is ok, but if you find yourself desoldering a lot of through-hole components, consider investing in a Hakko FR-300 (or a used Hakko 808). This is a $250 investment, but if you do enough desoldering projects, your hands will thank you for it. I consider it my best investment second only to my house because it actually makes money for me now.

Other small items:
Desoldering braid
flux paste and some small brushes
90+% Iso Alcohol
Tweezers
IC Extractor (for desoldering and removing chips from sockets)
Kapton tape (for hot air work)
Magnetic bowl - For screws and bits. Don't use an ash tray, you can get one of these from Harbor Bay for cheaper, sometimes free with a coupon from your newspaper.

Copper scrubbers. Yes, those things you use to scour messy pans with. They are brilliant and cleaning excess solder and residue off of a hot soldering iron, and they come 3 to a pack for like $2.

While someone mentioned a multimeter with continuity test, you should know that not all multimeters are built the same.

that beep from the continuity test can have significant delay on it on cheaper models. Spend around $40-$50 on a good multimeter with a fast reaction that beeps as soon as you touch the test leads and doesn't linger after you pull them apart.

This is a hobby that can end up paying for itself, so don't worry too much about the startup costs. Good equipment will last a decade or more with a little maintenance.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
All the good stuff was pointed out so all I have is Glue gun. Oh and a pocket full of dreams.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is a microscope. A microscope makes all the difference in the world for seeing those tiny board traces close up and also verifying that you're making good solder joints.

I use the AMScope SE400-Z. It's less than $200 and works incredibly well right out of the box.

Another recommendation is an anti-static mat. You don't want static electricity to fry your stuff.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You made a vid of a tool kit? :keke:

Put the camera down and go outside once in a while. There are hookers and blow to be enjoyed.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
You made a vid of a tool kit? :keke:

Put the camera down and go outside once in a while. There are hookers and blow to be enjoyed.

pls do a review of the hookers and blow.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
But if I film them the hookers charge extra!

Shipwreck_00

Armored Scrum Object
This got out of hand fast haha. Anyways anybody have any suggestions for tutorials to check out?